Bleeding Tears, Crying Blood

Chapter 8

Several days had passed since finding Leroy in the gardens. Since then I had seen him a lot more often. Wolfram, as predicted, had known about Leroy entering his grounds but, as he wasn't a threat and never bothered him, he hadn't done anything about it. So it wasn't much of a surprise that he gave his consent to my idea of Leroy having free reins of the grounds and doing as he pleased. Just as long as he didn't cause any trouble, Wolfram didn't care. As a result, Leroy came by most evenings and I would join him. This helped fill the void of loneliness that was growing every time White left me in the evening. Sometimes thought Leroy would be quiet. He would work silently and not say a word to me as he stewed in his rage. Other nights he was quite open and content with me, even laughing. I was guessing something was wrong his house as, on the nights he was angry, he would appear and leave later. Remembering the first time I encountered him, the shouting match between the himself and the man, I gathered I was correct. While I wanted to help him I never spoke of it. I had to gain a lot of trust before I could step into that area and I didn't want to destroy what I had gathered already.

Currently I was waltzing off down to town in the middle of the afternoon. White was awake but broodingly quiet. He had told me nothing had changed back home. The political stand off continued but the Elders were beginning to lose ground. As Gabor often says, it's for the best interest of our failing race that he claimed me. The Elders couldn't argue against that effectively. I did my best to hide my concern and partially succeeded. Wolfram and White weren't exactly stupid so they knew how I was feeling behind my mask of indifference.

To get my mind off of things, I decided to join Leroy while he was at work. I had done so a couple of times before and felt calm there and distracted from things that bothered me. Namely White, who was becoming quieter over the last few days. I had a feeling that the Elders and Gabor weren't the only things that were making him gloomier than normal.

I closed my parasol when I entered the antiques shop, the one I had found Leroy painting the sign of the other day. Inside was dark and smelt strongly of must and stale. Old lamps, statues and other junk were littered about in what appeared to be a orderly fashion. I liked it.

I sat up in the corner of the shop where a small stall had been placed. I had full view of the small cluttered room here and, as it was beside the counter, could speak to Leroy when I pleased. No one was there at the moment though. Sometimes Leroy vanished during the day. Where he goes I don't know but usually Norman was there. As if on cue, an short withered elderly man hobbled out from the back of the store just as I placed White on my lap.

Norman stared at me blearily through his thick glasses and took a moment before he recognised me.

"Alma. You're back I see." He said. I nodded silently and he smiled in return to my blank gaze. "Leroy will be back soon."

Again, I nodded. "Has today been quiet?" I asked as I watched him settle himself in the chair behind the counter.

"Yes, as always. Not that I mind. Less work to do when it's quiet."

I remained silent as my ears picked up loud voices. While I recognised one as Leroy, there was a stranger with him. White twitched his head slightly towards the door and pressed his tiny arms against my slim fingers.

Norman, whose ears where still as sharp as they were in his youth, smiled at the door shortly before Leroy stumbled in.

"Welcome back." Norman welcomed warmly.

Leroy grinned at the old man, shaking a bag. "I've brought you lunch."

"Thank you." Norman said and began to rummage around in the plastic bag after it was handed to him.

Leroy, who was grinning still, suddenly froze when he caught sight of me. I remained still as usual, just staring silently, and raised my hand to waggle my fingers slowly. Something in his eyes changed. They becoming darker, warmer, as he gazed at me, and a slight red glow tainted his face. White stirred suddenly and I felt something dark rumble from him briefly. I was thankful it was not long enough for the humans to notice although disappointed that I couldn't feel what emotion it was.

My attention was suddenly taken by the stranger who had followed Leroy silently. He stepped forward, letting his gaze fall on my face. Interest filled his eyes. He smiled warmly. White growled silently.

"Is this your stalker?" He asked Leroy.

The red tinge on Leroy's face grew bolder. "Yes."

"Kenny, be polite." Norman warned as he ate quietly.

Kenny, a lithe young man of a similar age to Leroy, laughed openly. "Yes, Norman." Turning his attention on me, Kenny bowed swiftly. "It is a pleasure to meet you Alma."

"And I, you." I responded stiffly.

Again, Kenny laughed. "You do speak weirdly." He commented.

"Kenny." Norman snapped. "Polite."

"I'm sorry , Norman." He only got a grumble in response.

"Will you be in the gardens tonight?" I asked Leroy, deciding to ignore the stranger.

Leroy nodded. "I will be."

"Can I crash it?" Kenny asked enthusiastically.

"No." Leroy snapped.

A sly expression flittered over his friend's face and he shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly, not taking offence from the sharp tone. "Fine then."

"Kenny, your father is probably wondering where you are. I thought you were helping decorate your new sister's room." Norman commented.

He sighed and rubbed his short bleach blond hair in frustration. "Yeah." He perked up suddenly. "I'll leave you alone for now, Leroy."

"Thank you." Leroy replied in relief.

Kenny smiled then a strange tight expression formed on his face. "Call if you need anything or if things get too much again."

"I will." Leroy muttered.

A grin returned and, after waving farewell to myself and Norman and clapping his hand on Leroy's thin shoulder, he left the shop. I stared at the door after it slammed shut.

"He's a good lad." Norman commented as he finished off the sandwich. "Just noisy."

I nodded and let my eyes flick up to Leroy. His expression was like it was when he appeared late in the evenings. Defensive and angry. Without a word, he turned and strode into the back of the shop.

"The boy is fighting." White murmured softly to me.

I rubbed the back of his head with my thumb to let him know I agreed. Something was not right in his house and it was beginning to bother me.

"Is all well in Leroy's house?" I asked before I could stop myself. I had told myself I wouldn't pry until I had him on my side and knew what he was.

Norman stiffened slightly before letting his watery eyes hold mine. "Why do you ask?"

"I sense he is pained sometimes when he comes to the gardens."

He remained silent for a moment. "As I quite like you, I will tell you that things aren't well but no more. Leroy will have to explain if he want's to. I won't do it for him."

"I understand."

Norman smiled thinly and the subject was dropped.

As the day drew on, I watched quietly from my corner. Customers came and went with the tinkling of the tiny bell above the door. As the clock struck five, Norman announced that he was closing up. After sweeping the small areas of floor, Norman locked the door behind us after Leroy and I stepped outside.

Leroy gave me a small tentative smile. "I'll be in the gardens later."

I nodded silently and watched as he wandered down the road. White stirred.

"What are you planning to do?" He asked testily.

I looked down at the small toy clasped in my hands. "I want to help him."

"Whatever is happening in his house is his own affair. It has nothing to do with you so stop looking for trouble." He snapped.

I shifted my weight and titled my head just as Leroy turned the corner and vanished. "I feel I should help him." I murmured.

"Stop, Alma. You're beginning to feel responsible for him. Help him with his heritage by all means but that is all you should do."

I frowned at his snarled tone then, with one last glance at road Leroy had ventured down, let the parasol burst into life above me then turned to return to Wolfram's house.

"His trust appears strong now." White said. I was pleased that he sounded a little calmer.

"I know."

"You should tell him soon if you intend to go through with this. You're running out of time to." He warned.

Not if you step in, I thought sadly to myself. I sighed heavily then bit my lip. He was right though. I hadn't much time to introduce Leroy to the Old World. Either father would do something in the next couple of days to get me home or he would lose this fight and Gabor's claim of me would go through. I tightened the grip on the parasol as a small glimmer of fear flickered into life. I had a nasty feeling Gabor would win this.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I didn't post this last night but whenever I clicked on 'add chapter', it looped me round to the main page. Needless to say after this happened several times I gave up.