The Toy Robot

The Toybot 6000

Today at the local primary school it is Bring In A Toy day in Miss Stebbins's year one class.

The general idea is that each child brings in a toy from home - it can be a soft toy, board game or electronic device, although those are brought at the owner’s risk. For the most part, the day will be normal. The toys will be locked in Miss Stebbins's cupboard for four fifths of the day. The children will continue their lessons as usual until lunch time.

At this point, the toys will be taken out of Miss Stebbins's cupboard and given back to their owners, who will be able to play with them during their lunch break. The last lesson of the day will be spent partly playing with the toys and partly drawing diagrams describing their components, which will tie in with the terms learning topic of Toys.

Miss Stebbins believes a relaxing afternoon of disguised learning is just what her class needs after a stressful spelling test the day before. She does not see how this seemingly harmless plan could backfire. Unfortunately, it does.

At the Green Table Sam Attwood is trying to concentrate on fixing his book bag with sticky tape. There's a sizeable hole in the corner from where he and his friend Tommy Winthrop's play fighting had got a little too rough the other week and things like pens and spelling lists are starting to fall out of the tear.

Just yesterday, Sam had almost lost the Humzinger he had in his book bag for emergency energy and today his lucky 20 pence piece has already disappeared, so he feels the problem really ought to be fixed - without the interference of his mum, of course, who would only tell him off for the hole being there in the first place.

It is still the early morning in Miss Stebbins's class; children are continuing to trickle in from the cloak room, their toys and book bags in hand.

Sam has been in the class for a while now and he wishes he could have his toy back from Miss Stebbins's cupboard, even though he knows that would only distract him from the task in hand.

Sam has taken the consideration of what toy to bring in today very seriously. A person's reputation could be on the line, for a boy anyway.

Sam's dearest tattered teddy bear Mr Honeypot simply cannot make an appearance with him today. Boys do not play with teddies anymore than girls play with toy guns. Not if they don't want to be called a soppy Nancy boy, at least, which Sam doesn't want in the slightest.

Sam has decided to bring his Raphael Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle action figure - a toy which he is very proud of - and let Mr Honeypot sleep in his bed for a week as a consolation. However, now Raphael is locked up with the rest of the toys until later and Sam is attempting to find the end of the sticky tape with stubby fingernails and little success.

A few minutes pass before there is a sudden collective intake of breath from every boy in Miss Stebbins's classroom. Sam looks up from his work and sees a crowd of excited and awed boys gathering around the door.

He can see someone in the middle of the throng, clearly the cause of the commotion. He is about to join them and see what all the fuss is about when Miss Stebbins breaks it up and orders everyone back to their seats.

As the boys go back to their seats, still chattering rapidly to one another, Sam can see whoever it was that was in the middle of the group, the one making the big scene.

But of course, it isn't just 'whoever'. It's Jack Oakley, the rich, clever golden boy who everyone practically acts like is the Supreme Ruler of the Universe yet still holds some resentment towards.

However, it is not just the sight of their Lord and Master that brought the boys to their feet, Sam sees now. In Jack Oakley's arms is the best, newest toy around: The Toybot 6000.

A strange but not all too unfamiliar feeling erupts in Sam's stomach.

Being from a big family and having a small income, Sam has felt this angry, snarling, upset feeling before.
When he sees a kid with the flashing trainers that he spotted in a shop window the other weekend but was unable to afford, when he hears the other children in his class complain that they didn't get over twelve very expensive birthday presents, this painful feeling spreads throughout his body till he is almost blinded with the odd mix of rage and longing.

Right now, Sam is being blinded by the feeling.

A few months ago, Sam had practically begged Father Christmas to give him a Toybot 6000. He had been an extra good boy all year especially so that Father Christmas could have no reason to put a lump of coal in his stocking instead of what he wanted most in the entire world: that Toybot 6000.

On Christmas day, Sam had woken early and dived for the stocking hanging off the end of his bed but he could see it immediately. No Toybot 6000 had been delivered.

The Toybot 6000 is not the average toy robot. It may look like it but it is in fact equipped with the best high-tech toy technology there is. It can open and close its mouth, can speak, can make its eyes flash, can pick things up, can even play music. And all it costs is £149.95.

And, naturally, in the unfair style of life, Sam Attwood's parents cannot afford it and golden boy Jack Oakley's parents can.

Sam tears off the carefully applied sticky tape from his book bag as Miss Stebbins puts the Toybot 6000 away and begins to call the register. Jack Oakley has a £150 Toybot 6000.
And all Sam has is a stupid £7 Raphael action figure.

Sam can hear Jack gloating to his followers over on the yellow table.

"Mummy promised me she would get one for Christmas but they were out of stock here so she went all the way to London on Christmas Ever to get me it because she loves me so much."

The boys around him are agape at this tale of kindness and sacrifice. Sam tries not to listen.
His mum always says that when Sam has that feeling in his stomach, he should attempt to control it otherwise his skin will go green. Sam doesn't want this and listening to Jack speaking is making the feeling stronger.

Sam wants that Toybot 6000; he deserves it more than Jack Oakley anyway.

Next to Sam, Tommy is scribbling angrily on the inside cover of his Maths book. He doesn't understand how three minus two equals one, so has given up on the whole idea.

His Hot Wheels car that he was given a couple of years back now seems inadequate compared to Jacks Toybot 6000, as well, and Jack's bragging is grating on his nerves.

Both Sam and Tommy have come to the silent agreement something must be done to stop Jack from getting slimier and more of a show off.

Sadly, the boys don't realise that Jack isn't actually as irritating and stuck up as they see him: they can't see passed their determined dislike and envy and therefore only see what gives them more reason to feel as they do.

However, none of this stops them hatching a plan in whispers throughout the whole of Maths and part of Literacy. By the time they are in PE, playing fielders in Cricket, they know exactly what they are going to do.

"Listen up, children, please!" Says Miss Stebbins five minutes before it is time for lunch. "If you will come and - Madeline, are you listening to me? Thank you! Now, line up in front of me, please, and if you want to get your toys back now then I can give them to you."

There is a clattering noise as chairs scoot back from tables and hit into each other. Everyone rushes towards Miss Stebbins's desk and forms a disorderly line. Everyone, that is, apart from Sam, Tommy and Jack. The first stage of the plan has just been executed.

Jack is now sprawled on the floor, having just tripped over the leg Tommy stuck out accidentally-on-purpose at exactly the 'wrong' time.

Everyone's attention turns to the two boys, Tommy is helping Jack up and apologising with almost realistic sincerity, and Sam knows that now is his chance.

Unnoticed by his classmates, Sam scurries around between them and up to Miss Stebbins's cupboard. The door is unlocked in preparation of the handing out and through the small crack Sam can see the shelves of outlines of toys.

The feeling in his stomach, which has been weakened somewhat until this point by the distraction of the plan, reappears in full force as Sam sees that the majority of these are better than his £7 Raphael figure.

Nonetheless, Sam doesn't let himself get distracted. Quickly and quietly, he takes his and Tommy's toys out and shoves them in the over-large pockets of his cargo trousers, so as to draw suspicion away from them entirely.

Sam can see the Toybot 6000 on the shelf second from the top; the buttons and dials on its front have shiny stickers on them that reflect the light back at him. It's a little too high up for him to reach comfortably but Sam is reasonably tall for his age and, on his very tip toes, he can just about get a hand round the robot's leg. With one tug, he is holding the Toybot 6000 in his arms.

Sam glances round before tucking Jack's Toybot in his jumper and folding his arms in an attempt to hide the bulk. He coughs loudly - the signal he and Tommy agreed on - before hurrying out the door. Sam is breathing rather quickly. He can't believe what he's done, what he has hidden in his hand-me-down red jumper: Jack Oakley's Toybot 6000.

"Wow." says Tommy.

"I know." says Sam.

"It looks so cool." says Tommy.

"That's because it is." says Sam.

The two boys are kneeling behind one of the bigger flowerboxes in the playground on the still slightly damp tarmac. The flowerboxes are empty of flowers and scattered with odd weeds that are better at surviving the winter months but no one can see the friends in their hiding place and no one can see what they are gazing down at with dazed expressions.

They didn't expect the Toybot 6000 to be even more awesome in the flesh, or rather the plastic, than it had looked in the adverts on CITV but it did. The faux metal plates looked shinier, the buttons and dials more numerous, the corners more angular.

It just looked, as Tommy had said, so cool .

Of course, the boys haven't planned what they are going to do now. They don't know when, or if, they are going to give it back and they don't know what they are going to say when, or if, they do.

Somewhere in the backs of their minds, they can feel that this is wrong and that they shouldn't really have taken Jack's Toybot 6000 in the first place but this feeling is obliterated by the sheer fun of breaking the rules and getting their own back on Jack for being rich and clever and popular.

Another thirty seconds or so pass where Tommy and Sam simply look down at the toy in their hands and wonder.

Suddenly, the quiet that surrounds them in their flowerbox corner is broken. They can hear a familiar voice speaking to Elise Bixby, a year two girl, just around the corner.
"Hello, Elise." says Miss Stebbins. She sounds worried and the boys exchange a look.

"Hello, Miss." says Elise. "Your shirt is very pretty."

"Why, thank you, Elise." says Miss Stebbins in a pleased voice. "Can I ask you something?"

Tommy and Sam have to presume that Elise nods.

"You know it was Bring In A Toy day in my class today, don't you?"

The boys gulp.

"Oh, yes." says Elise. "I was ever so jealous, I was."

"Well, a boy’s toy - a Toybot 6000, I think - has gone missing and I was wondering if you had seen it?" asks Miss Stebbins.

"A Toybot 6000?" Elise sounds surprised. "No, Miss, I don't think so."

Miss Stebbins sighs. "That's a shame. Thank you anyway, Elise."

"You're welcome, Miss."

Tommy and Sam can hear Miss Stebbins as she comes around the corner, her dolly shoes clacking. For a second they think she might have not seen them but then the clacking, which had been getting quieter, gets louder again and-

"Tommy Winthrop, is that you?"

Miss Stebbins has seen the heel of Tommy's trainer.

Sam and Tommy jump up, Sam hastily shielding the Toybot behind his back.

"Er - yes, Miss." says Tommy. He is chewing his lip and making them look guilty.

"What were you two doing down there?" She is looking at them suspiciously.

"Nothi-" Begins Tommy.

"-Looking at ladybirds." says Sam abruptly.

Miss Stebbins looks doubtful. "What have you got there, Sam?" She gestures to his hands which are behind his back.

"Nothing." Sam lies.

"Sam." says Miss Stebbins in her stern voice. Years of practice have enabled her to tell straight away if a student is telling the truth or not.

Sam and Tommy look at each other. With a sigh, Sam brings out the Toybot 6000.

Miss Stebbins gasps and looks shocked then her lips purse. The boys can see she is angry with them and almost visibly shrink a few centimetres. They are beginning to realise this was a rather bad idea.

"Am I to take it that the toy you are holding, Sam, is the same one Jack is missing?"

Sam nods, looking down at his feet; he can't look at Miss Stebbins without feeling awful.

Miss Stebbins doesn't say anything for a few seconds.

"Where did you get this?" She asks eventually.

"Out of your cupboard, Miss." whispers Tommy.

"Tommy!" chastens Miss Stebbins. "You know you aren't allowed in teacher's cupboards without permission." She shakes her head crossly. "And then to take someone else's toy out of there, as well? I am very-"

"It was me, Miss." says Sam abruptly at the sight of Tommy’s face. "It was my idea and I went in your cupboard and I got Jack's Toybot out and Tommy just went along with it."

"I - well -” Sputters Miss Stebbins, thrown off course.

"We'll give it back to Jack, Miss; we never meant to keep it." Sam continues. "We'll tell him we're really sorry." He pauses. "We really are, Miss."

Miss Stebbins looks down at the two scared boys in front of her, smears of dirt on the knees of their trousers and the toy robot that has caused so much fuss and fights the desire to laugh.
She can't be strict with her class, they're like the children she doesn't have. That said, she feels she has to teach them some kind of lesson. When she speaks her voice is softer yet still firm.

"Boys, I'm disappointed in you. I really don't expect this kind of thing from my class; from you two especially. I want you to give Jack his robot back and I want you to apologise and promise me you'll never do this kind of thing again, alright?"

Both boys nod dutifully. "Yes, Miss Stebbins." They say.

Miss Stebbins surveys them for a couple of seconds. "OK, let's go and give this back to Jack, shall we?"

The three walk back towards the classroom, none speaking. Sam and Tommy feel rather embarrassed but relieved that they are not in worse trouble and don't feel they should be talking to each other while Miss could have a change of heart any second.

As they reach the door, Miss Stebbins finally speaks.

"Really, boys, why did you do it?"

Sam mumbles something incoherent.

"Pardon?"

In a louder, clearer voice Sam speaks again.

"Because we were jealous."
♠ ♠ ♠
Word Count: 2,725