Two Worlds

Forms

My eyes ached, they ached to the point where I felt as if I had been struck. More than once, staring at my computer screen for the past seven hours had not been without it's downsides. The pain my eyes were feeling at five in the morning, the ache in my hands from typing, the feeling of nausea that twirled in my stomach from the bad vending machine coffee I had consumed. My work was not without it's tough times. But this is why I do it. Because it demands soo much of my time, true. I am not told I need to be sat at my desk in a dark and empty office at five in the morning. But to me a day at work never ended, as my co-workers slept, as they went home to their better halves, their children and they shut off the minds from their work. I sat at my desk and I read over files. I formed plans in my mind of how to acheive what my company had been working at for years. For longer than I had even been working here. We want one thing for our kind, for everyone, the world if I may be as bold to claim such a thing. We want harmony. Between us and them.

I don't think we are better, I don't think we deserve our place here more than them. All I know if that I am tired of seeing the reports on my desk every morning, I hate to see the pictures of the crimes that has been committed during the night as most slept. Because that is when this city becomes their playground, more often than not anyway. When they good, law abiding citizens slept. They stole, they vandalised, they tore through our cities and over the years. They have cost our country millions and why do they do it. Power. In their minds, being what we are. Powerful beings, means that normal rules no longer apply to them. Which made me somewhat despise them, which was not helped by the picture I was staring at right now. With my expensive ballpoint pen held in my hand, which I clicked every few seconds, for no reason. But for something to do. I looked at the picture, at the carnage, the blood, the body and the hurt they had left behind. Soo consumed was I in what I was seeing. I failed to realise I was no longer alone.

"It's five fifteen in the morning, what are you even doing in here?" Someone asked in amusement from behind me, I wasn't startled, I didn't even turn to see who was behind me. I could smell him.

"Why are you?" I said with an amused smile as I picked up my paper cup filled with coffee.

"Couldn't sleep, figured you would be here and I figured two minds are better than one." Matthew replied as he came and sat on my desk, sitting on print outs of the latest incident report from tonight as he did. I looked up at him and smiled in amusement, sitting there in his expensive black suit, his pristine white shirt and blood red tie. Looking every bit the gentleman, when he is soo far from that. In an endearing way of course. With his perfect haircut, his expensive aftershave. He was pleasing to look at.

"This victim was fifteen years old, found torn apart in a liquor store. No fibers from any clothes, or any prints, meaning..." I said before Matthew stepped in.

"Meaning they were in their forms" Matthew said with a look of disgust.

"Yeah, but what worries me the most is how they are getting smarter with each kill, or robbery and they are going to get soo much worse" I replied as I tossed my pen on to my desk.

"Smart how?" Matthew asked with a look of intrigue.

"Their was not one shred of evidence on the victim, also. Why didn't she change, if she was being attacked. Why did she stay in her irregular form and not change to fight" I said as I looked up at Matthew, who was looking at the picture on my computer screen.

"Because she trusted them, maybe. Maybe she was in the pack and pissed off someone she shouldn't" Matthew replied as he sat down his Starbucks coffee on my desk.

"Or maybe..." I said, but again before I could finish he stepped in again. With a grin on his face, which made me smile in amusement. He gets it now.

"She fucking offered herself, oh my God. I should have fucking guessed. Oh God they are good, they are calling us out" Matthew said with an amused grin on her face.

"Exactly" I said with an amused smile, this is why I picked him. Of all the people I work with, in our office I wanted to work with him. Their is hundreds of people like me and Matthew, who want the same thing. My desk, is in the middle of twenty others. I had plenty of people to pick from. But I wanted to be partners with one person, the person who's desk is opposite mine. The very person who is perched on my desk right now. Because he thinks like me.

"You know what Clare, you are fucking brilliant." Matthew laughed as he picked up his coffee.

"No, not even close" I replied as he took a large mouthful of his black coffee. Why he goes all the way to Starbucks for a black coffee, baffles me. Maybe because they are open and he is a sucker for a brand name.

"What are you talking about, any other idiot here would have taken days to come to that conclusion, you cracked that in hours" He laughed in confusion as I picked up my crappy vending machine coffee.

"Then why haven't I caught this pack?" I said in annoyance as I looked at the picture on my screen again.

"Simple answer to that" He said with a smirk as he stood up from my desk.

"Which is?" I asked in confusion as he started to walk round to his own desk.

"Because their are more packs with an attitude problem than their is decent packs. What is this bullshit with packs anyway, get your fucking head out of the middle ages. We don't have to fucking hunt anymore, we don't have to be the mindless dogs that we once were. We evolved. We are fucking people now, why are they still acting like animals. I mean, come on. If you wanna be an animal. Go live in the woods and get your small mind outta our cities" Matthew ranted as he sat himself down at his desk, which made me laugh a little as he did. I love his rants.

"Don't laugh at my ranting, you know I am making sense. Bitch" Matthew laughed as he turned on his computer and even though I just laughed at him once again, he was right. Everything he said, was completely right.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yeah, I tried to make it short. Matthew and Clare are the two most important people in my part of the story, so I wanted them to be introduced and kinda show what they do.