Vampires

I Gave You Blood

We left Starbucks quickly after the incident. I crossed my arms in an attempt to stay warm as the wind played with my hair. You seemed quite happy. Was it because we were now friends or maybe you were just proud of Muffin? I don't know because I didn't press the subject, I just took you to my apartment to stay warm. It was closer then your home. You said you lived on the outskirts of town and had come down to visit your brother. We talked about him all the way to my car on the other side of the park where we met. You said you didn't have a car but I didn't care. Muffin and McFly sat quietly in the back seat while I drove home. You were to meet your brother at the park today but he had to work over time. You made arrangements with him over your cellphone at a small Italian restaurant tonight. You told me you only got to see him every two weeks but you told me I should join you both so I could meet him. My stomach wasn't feeling that happy. It had gotten worse. You looked over at me while I was having a dizzy spell. You reached into your coat pocket and pulled out two blue pills and you handed them to me. I swallowed them dry and instantly felt better.

"Thank you." I smiled and took a right at the lights.

"No problem." you smiled back and looked out the window at the passing houses.

I unlocked my apartment door while you held our pets. I gave you a small tour and you smiled.

"I like it." you said. I went to the fridge and looked through my blood supply from last night. All bags were there and a counted for. I sighed in relief. If we are desperate we will raid other vampires supplies; pills, blood, etc. I took one bag out and poured its contents into two wine glasses. Usually I didn't do the fancy shit, I just sucked the sucker dry but you were here. I handed you a glass and you thanked me. We sat on the couch and watched the TV with our pets. Something about fruit bats I think. Oh, and another thing, its a myth we turn into bats and fly away. Another Hollywood lie. We used to sleep in coffins in the old days but not anymore, we turned with time to beds.

We drained our glasses and you looked at your watch.

"Please do come and meet Mikey, he's quite fond of vampires." his eyes were pleading so I agreed to meet him brother Mikey.

"Do we need to drive?" I asked. You nodded and we left Muffin and McFLy to rest at my place.

"So I take it your brother is a human?" I asked. You nodded but didn't look at me. "How is that possible?" you sighed but didn't respond so I didn't press the matter. We arrived at the restaurant you gave me directions too and we got out and walked inside. It smelled of freshly baked bread, pizza and multiple variates of pastas. I felt as though I wanted to tackle each waiter for the dish on their tray. I followed you since you seemed to know where we were going. The place was full tonight and multiple voices spoke at once. My sensitive ears picked up on conversations about grandchildren, cars, wines and exotic places I could never dream of going to. I have never left The United States. New Jersey was my home, the place I was born.

You wove your way past tables until you stopped at a table with a man not much older looking then me, around 19 with chestnut hair and thick rimmed glasses. He dressed darkly but his smile warmed the atmosphere when he saw you. You smiled back and the boy who I guessed was your brother stood and you embraced him.

"Hey Gee!" the boy said, his voice muffled by your coat.

"Hey Mikes. This is Frank, we just met today and he's a dog owner!" we shook hands and introduced each other. "He's a vampire like me." you whispered to Mikey. Mikey raised his eyebrows at me.

"Really? My brother never got along with another vampire before, not even our father." I glanced over at you. You were looking into space as if lost in a distant memory. That's why you and your brother aren't the same. You aren't full vampire either. Nor is Mikey fully human. Your a mixed breed, mother human and father a vampire. I stayed silent until the waitress came and took our drink order. I just had a water while Mikey had coke and you had a glass of wine. You gave me another blue pill and took one for your own. I could see you were running low.

"Where do you get your 'painkillers'?" I asked. You looked over at me.

"A werewolf deals them down on the waterfront. You give him blood in return for the pills. I'm going tomorrow night if your interested to join me?" I thought for a moment, I had nothing to do tomorrow but you said we needed blood.

"We would need to hunt." you nodded.

"Guy's, were in public!" Mikey hissed. "There could be a gang in here tonight." you nodded and smiled at your brother.

"You're right Mikes, how's your bass lessons coming?" we talked like this all the while and only paused to order dinner and eat. Mikey and I were getting along just fine. The food was great and the company was wonderful. A glow of happiness had ignited in the pit of my stomach and spread through my limbs and circulated through my body. I don't think I ever smiled so much in my life. My fangs nearly dropped a few times because I was so distracted by my new friends.