Ain't It a Fine Life

Insomnia

She tried blocking out the harsh words her uncle was speaking. He thought she was asleep, as well as her brother and sister. Her uncle was the only family she had left, and he wanted nothing to do with the family. No wonder her mother always tried keeping them away from him...

Will had promised her that they would spend a few nights here while he promised to find a job somewhere. Getting out of here was high on her priority list. The whole city seemed to be a depression magnet for her. Just seeing it reminded her of all the memories she had with her family. She wanted them back. That's all. She wanted her father's warm smile and vast knowledge back. She wanted her mother's loving and caring attitude back. It was too much for her to think that she'd never see them again.

She tried falling asleep. She was starting to think it was a lost cause just trying. Clearing her mind, just thinking of a black screen; singing nursery rhymes in her head; going over the song she was trying to learn on piano... it was all useless. She gave up. No use.

"Clara?" She heard a small voice say from the door frame, recognizing it as her little sister. She immediately bolt up in bed. "Sophie? What's wrong? Are you alright?" She asked, worried sick. Most likely overreacting, but Sophie and Will were all she had left and she would fight to the death for both of them.

"C-can I sleep with you, please? I know mommy says I'm a big girl and I should be sleeping in my own bed, but..." Her little sister fidgeted with her stuffed bear.

She nodded, holding back the new surge of tears that threatened to pour out. "Get in here, c'mon."

Sophie climbed into bed next to her big sister and hugged her tightly.

"Clara, I miss mommy and daddy."
"I know, I do too..." She felt her voice crack, and then she felt fresh tears roll down her cheek. She held onto Sophie. They both wouldn't be getting much sleep tonight, but at least they had each other.

Clara stared off into the darkness.
What if it doesn't get better?
♠ ♠ ♠
HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY GREGTORIA<3 This goes out to you, bro. I might write another chapter or two, since it doesn't really stop here... heh. I HOPE YOU LIKE IT.