Ain't It a Fine Life

Study

She didn't know what she thought was so interesting about being with her father. Sitting in his study, everything was just silent, different from the rest of the house. The room was rather dark, filled with books, a large chair, a desk, and a strong smell of cigars. She enjoyed just sitting around, watching as her father work or reading one of the books he owned. She was close to reading every book in that study, and the more she learned, the more she felt successful. Her father loved her company, and she just loved being around him. She knew he was probably the smartest person she'd ever encounter in her lifetime, hands down. She glanced up from her book on Greek Mythology and saw her father yawn and set down his pen. It was probably getting late anyway. She glanced over at the clock on the wall.

10:30 already?

She was sure he was tired. Everyday her father was up bright and early, tending to the horses. She tried to make it a habit to help him, but it didn't work out too well. At least Will helped him. He was proud of Will. Will was so much like him, the same dark hair and brown eyes and broad shoulders as her father. Clara, however, looked much more like her mother, just with her father's dark chestnut hair. She was proud though, of having her mother's deep blue eyes. She could almost hear her mother say "It's no wonder your eyes are so strong, you roll them all the time." And she knew it was true, Will always said her looks could kill.

She rose slowly and put the book back where it belonged, between Greek Mythology Volume IV and Greek Mythology Volume VI. She leaned against the bookcase and watched her father, as he neatly put away his book he'd been writing in. That was another thing she loved about her father, the fact that he was always so neat. Her father sighed and leaned back in his chair.

"It's been a long day." He said in his low voice.
"Yes..." She nodded and smoothed out the skirt of her dress.
"Did you get your schoolwork finished?"
"Yes, dad. I did."
"Good."

Breaking the silence felt odd to her for some reason. She enjoyed the peace she felt in her father's study. She went back to her chair in the corner and watched as her father picked up the newspaper he had sitting on the edge of the desk. She spent many days in the study with her father, she knew he always read the paper before he was going to bed. He stared at the front page for a while, reading attentively. He then flipped the paper, going to the back of that page. She was able to see the front page headline.

CHILDREN'S CRUSADE: NEWSIES STOP THE WORLD.

She squinted, trying to make out some of the writing and the faces on the paper. She figured she's skim through it when her father had finished with it. It was his paper after all. She yawned and stretched her back a bit. It did feel late, even if it was only 10:30 something...

She saw her father get up, fold the paper, and walk out of the study. She knew he had a long day, and he was tired, but she was interested in the paper. She walked to the edge of the desk and picked it up carefully, making sure not to bump anything. Her father would know and have a fit. He didn't like his personal things being touched.

She never really took interest in the news before, she didn't know why this headline got her reading. She was now able to make out the faces in the picture, and she couldn't help but smile at the boys all in it. She made it to about half of the article when she heard her father's voice again.

"Clara, go to bed."

She didn't need to be told twice. She put the paper back right where it was and turned the lamp off in the study.

"Goodnight, dad."
"Goodnight, Clara."
♠ ♠ ♠
bam bam turkey and ham.