Beneath Face

1/1

I’m nothing special and I fade into the back ground without effort. High school life moves like a daily routine that involves no thinking or any real effort. Students go about their life of who’s at the top of the popularity chain and who is at the bottom. The rich ones snicker at the under dress students that can’t afford top dollar clothes. Jocks laugh and drape their arms over their girlfriend cheerleaders giving everyone a subtle, ‘she’s mine,’ impression. As for me, I’m a spectator. A fly on the wall if you will. I watch everything and record it in my little black notebook.

In every class I’m at the back of the room and watch the notes get passed around behind the teacher’s back. I notice the small glow of the IPhones going on Facebook and the students sleeping behind the person in front of them. All of them are in my notebook by name with their actions written right next to them. Three boys particularly are written numerous times because of what they do to Zack Salinger.

October 11th ─Jason, Leon, and Connor corner Zack behind the bleachers and beat him before dragging him into the locker room. I’m a little worried I think I’ll wait a while…It’s been fifteen minutes now. Jason, Leon, and Connor left but where is Zack?

October 16th ─ Jason shoved Zack into the girls’ bathroom today. I was very surprised to see him when I exited the stall. I didn’t scream, but I can’t say that about Meredith Perz who yelled pervert. Zack ran out before I ever got to say anything to him.

October 17th ─ Leon kept pushing Zack against the lockers today calling him gay and other things. Zack kept yelling he was straight and Leon decided he wanted proof. Up until this day I was a spectator, but as I walked by Leon grabbed me and forced a kissed between me and Zack. Zack was the one to push us apart and Leon laughed at us making Zack turn candy apple red and run away. I think he feels bad about the kiss…but I don’t.

October 19th ─ I haven’t seen any of the guys today, I have a bad feeling…Oh God I think those idiots went too far this time. I found Zack tied to the football pole stripped of his clothing. He was crying. I help him out and found his clothes, but he only sniffled thanks and ran away. That’s it I’ve think my observing has to stop. I’ll talk to Leon and his gang in the morning.

In homeroom I sat in the back and watched as the students poured in and join their group of friends like always, but this time they glanced at me and whispered. I’m not surprised that they are looking at me; I’m not one to hide how I feel. I’m the kind of girl that wears her emotions on her sleeve and right now I’m pissed as hell. I probably look like I’m ready to jump someone, and I am. I’m waiting for the guys to walk into class and somehow I slowly feel my fingers twitch ready to beat the shit out of them.

I’m an honest person, and will admit that I have no business prying into someone else’s problem, but I have to say I think I developed feeling for Zack. It grew from mere interest in his bullying problem to me wanting to protect him. So I’ll be damned if I don’t put those assholes in their place like they should have a long time ago. I watched the door and saw the three guys walk in laughing and hanging all over each other. I got up from my seat and walked past whispers as their eyes landed on me in colors of hazel, blue, and brown.

“What up mute chick?” Connor said looking at me smiling like the naïve idiot he is.

Leon studied me and then smile, “Your Zack’s lip lock buddy,” he pointed to me finally understanding who I am and I smiled at him. He chuckled and smiled back, but it quickly diminished when my fist met his face. I felt liquids from his eyes and nose moistens my knuckles as I receded and took a jab in his ribs. I thank my technique to my two older brothers and a year of boxing, because without it Leon wouldn’t be feeling the intense pain I just inflicted on him. Jason and Connor looked from me to their bleeding friend with emotions flickering through their eyes. Confusion, surprise, worries, and then anger finally registering me as an enemy. I cracked a knuckle as Jason took a step towards me.

“Who the hell do you think you are bitch?” anger dripped from his voice like vinegar. I looked up into his hazel eyes through my dark caramel hair and scuffed at him.

Contempt flicker across his face, “I’m a spectator taking a fighting stand.” Distain seeping from my words and the look on his face showed me he noticed it. The room was silent and I couldn’t help but address it by egging him to make a move, “are you afraid to hurt me with witnesses? Or are you afraid to hit a girl?” I got in his face and felt his breath tickle my skin, “Do you not like it when someone stands up to you?”

His eyes widen, “you,” he growled and harshly slapped me across the face that I was sent into the desks. Girls shuffled away from me as desks fell over onto the tile floor besides me barely missing my head, but crashing upon my wrist. A sharp pain went through me and I yelped in pain when Jason barked at me about how I deserved to be on the ground. I winced as I tried to sit up when the room went eerily quiet.

“Hey Jason,” I heard Zack’s voice coming from the front of the classroom, “laugh at this.” There was a loud echo of a gunshot and the class screamed as Jason fell to the floor. Blood trickled towards me as Jason blank face stared at me making me scream and get to my feet. All most everyone ran from room leaving Connor, Leon, Zack, Me, and the unmoving Jason alone in the closed room, door lock, blinds shut. He locked us in.

“Zack,” I took half a step towards he and he shakily pointed the gun my way.

“Don’t,” his voice was trembling, “Don’t come close to me.”

I retracted my outstretched hand and looked to Leon and Connor who were very shaken up. Beads of sweat rolled down Leon’s face and Connor seemed like he was petrified. My God, Zack do really hate these guys like I think you do? Leon looked to me and I could feel his fear radiate from his eyes pleading me to do something. I returned my gaze to Zack as he paced the front of the room mumbling to his self and taping the gun at his side.

I slowly moved forward making sure not to get to close to him and softly said his name again. He met my gaze and I could see his crying face. My heart lurched in my chest and the feeling to comfort him overwhelmed me.

“Do you know who I am?” I asked him and he nodded from under his hood.

“You’re Kim Lancer. You always sit in the back and write in a little black journal,” his face gained a tint of red; “Leon made us kiss in the hall.”

A small smile came across my face, “You are probably the only one in this whole school that sees me,” his head dipped a bit as he fidgeted. “Can I tell you something?” he nodded and whispered a small ‘anything’, “I don’t regret kissing you.”

He looked up and locked eyes with me, “You don’t regret kissing a nobody like me?” I walked closer to him and saw he was slowly putting the gun down when I felt someone push me from behind. There was a loud bang as I slumped on Jack’s chest feeling his fast heart beat through the fabric. I felt weak and sticky as the feeling in my legs was slowly disappearing.

“I love you,” I said into his chest as I collapsed to the floor at the base of his feet. His feet shuffled back and then the yelling started between him and I’m guessing Leon. What they were yelling about wasn’t something I could hear exactly, but from what I can tell Zack went after Leon. There were words and the squeaking of rubber soles on the tile floor when another shot was fired. Leon’s shoes filled my line of vision as droplets of blood trickled on my face. A pair of knees came down beside me and then I stared face to face with Zack as blood trickled from the corner of his mouth.

He showed a painful smile and crawled beside me draping a red hand over my numbing body, “I love you too.” My vision became blurry as I felt a soft sensation against my lips. Oh Zack, you’re my somebody. I heard him cough harshly and then felt something dampen my face as tears weld up in the corners of my eyes. Consciousness slowly flowing in and out of me I grasped his hoodie with what little strength I had left.

This time I won’t leave you alone.