In the Back of My Mind

Two

“Oomph.”

“Oh my gosh! I am so sorry!” Cried out Brian, “I didn’t see you standing there and ---“

“It’s okay,” She said, dusting herself off as she picked herself up. “I’m fine.”

She cursed herself as she looked up. Those damn eyes.

He studied her features for a moment, noticing her bright, turquoise blue eyes and her soft pink lips. He shook his head, blinking a couple times. There was no way in hell that it was her. She had caramel colored hair the last time he saw her. This woman had blonde hair now, almost a golden color.

“I should get going,” She said, feeling almost awkward standing in front of him. Without another word, she pushed past him, walking down the street, letting the warm sunshine of Southern California heat up her skin.

“Brooklyn.”

Her heart sank upon hearing her name. She knew that he had figured it out.

Slowly, she turned around with a half smile gracing her lips. He however, did not return the smile.

“Baby, are you ready to go?”

Brooklyn closed her eyes, feeling her heart sink even more into the pit of her stomach as she watched him lace his fingers with a bleach blonde, tanned beauty. She had bags in her hands and a big Coach purse on her shoulder, probably containing her entire makeup collection that she would consider to be only “necessities.”

Sighing, Brooklyn saw the couple walk the opposite direction down the boulevard. Before she was about to turn and walk away, she caught him turning his head for one last look at his past love standing there.
♠ ♠ ♠
foREVer