In the Back of My Mind

Four

It had been at least a week or two since Brian had bumped into Brooklyn. Since then, he had practically dropped Claire on her ass on his front door step.

No, no, it wasn’t because he saw Brooklyn that made him leave her. He had been thinking about it from the very beginning to be honest.

He knew he had deserved better than Claire. He was settling.

Funny how what goes around comes around, huh?

Since the day he started dating Claire, over the course of the two year relationship, through the huge hints that she wanted to get married, to the talks of having kids together, he knew that he was settling for less than what he deserved.

Seeing Brooklyn just kind of pushed him over the edge and finally made him get the courage to leave her.

Not that leaving her was easy, but still.

Claire put on one of her huge dramatic temper tantrums, fighting Brian every single step of the way while he broke her heart. Unlike the last break up he had, he didn’t feel guilty saying the words, “It’s over.”

But, being the whining girl Claire is, she begged and pleaded for him not to do it. That she would stop talking about weddings and marriage and babies. That she would leave him to be when he was writing. That she wouldn’t always ask to hang out with him and his friends. That she would change.

Yeah right.

Finally, she had given up her power struggle and gave in to Brian’s wishes.

She gathered her belongings and packed her bags, hitting the road for good.

“Don’t let the door hit you on the way you,” Brian laughed under his breath.

“What?” She whimpered, turning her head to look back at the man that she had fallen so deep in love with.

“Nothing,” He stated bluntly. “I’ll see you around.”

“I love you,” She croaked out one last time, but got nothing in return.

Once the door slammed shut, Brian quickly opened up his laptop, entering Brooklyn’s name into multiple search engines, trying to find her. Maybe, by some miraculous chance, he would find her name and address on the internet.

Of course if he wanted to pay four ninety-five he would.
♠ ♠ ♠
foREVer