Status: On hiatus

She Heads to the Dresser Drawer to Drive Her Pain Away

19

Ashland walked silently back into Rylie's room. Her best friend was still on life support, fighting for her life. Ashland prayed, and prayed for a miracle. She wanted Rylie to be alive, and so full of life like before. She was so energetic, and happy. She made Ashland feel alive.

"Ms. Andrews?" a male voice asked from the doorway. Ashland turned around to see a man, about 6'2, black medium length hair. He wore faded blue jeans with a black t-shirt that was coated in drywall and paint. He didn't look a single bit familiar to Ashland.

"That's me..." Ashland answered quietly.

"I'm Rylie's dad. I came to see her, I've heard such great things about you," the man said and extended a hand, which Ashland shook and looked down.

"Oh. I didn't know what happened to you, Rylie never really mentioned anyone," Ashland said, confused.

"We had a falling out about a month ago, and Rylie moved here. Her mother and I pay for her house and such, while she's out on her own," Rylie's dad explained. He, like Rylie, used hand gestures when he talked.

"Oh,nice to meet you, Mr.McKenney," Ashland figured out Rylie's last name from the receptionist.

"Call me Dave. So, how's she doing?"

"She's fighting for her life..." Ashland said and tried her hardest to hold back tears. She was trying to be strong in front of Rylie's dad.

"My Rylie is quite the fighter, I'm sure she'll make it through. She's got a good person praying for her, ay?"

"I guess. Your daughter, is a very amazing person. She helped me through hard times, I owe her alot. I would be dead right now without her," Ashland said and explained how she met Rylie, and what had happened in their short time of knowing each-other.

"That sounds like her. She doesn't seem like much when you see her, but on the inside, she truly is amazing."

Right after Mr.McKenney finished his sentence, a nurse walked in.

"We need to give Rylie some shots, please step aside," the nurse said and rudely pushed Ashland out of the way. Ashland crossed her arms as she cried.

"I'm going to go, nice meeting you , Ashland," Dave said and waved,then walked out the door.

"How is she?" Ashland asked the nurse, looking down at Rylie's fragile body.

"She's almost stable. If she keeps improving, she might make it. But if her condition falls again, her parents have instructed us to pull the plug," the nurse explained then left without another word.

Ashland sat there, dumbstruck. How could her parents do such a thing? Is that why her dad was here? To sign some paper, giving Rylie's life away? He seemed so nice, but that was just how he acted. Ashland didn't really know him. She was sure there was a reason Rylie moved out.

"Rylie, if you can hear me, I miss you. And I love you," Ashland mumbled and sat down and tapped the floor with her feet. About five minutes later, something extremely unexpected happened.

"I love you, too," Rylie responded weakly, then her eyes closed again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit:It Ends Tonight-The All American Rejects

I've be threatened that Rylie can't die,and I'm in a rather good mood,so this is the outcome. :)