Status: Inactive.

Unwhispered Words

Five.

Image

I continued slowly up the steps, as quietly as I could manage. Peering around the corner, I was shocked to see Hermione Granger sitting on the floor, petting an owl perched on her arm.

"Hermione? Are you alright?" I whispered.

She looked up quickly, a shocked expression on her face. She began fervently wiping her eyes.

"Oh, hello Charlotte. Yes, I'm alright, thanks for asking."

I nodded. Of course, she was lying, but I didn't intend to press the matter any further. I still don't understand why I had asked, but if I had ignored her, it would have been rude.

I walked past her to where Shiloh was sleeping.

"Hey baby girl." I cooed in her ear. "I missed you."

She pecked my ear lightly, ruffling her feathers.

"She's beautiful." Hermione muttered from the other side of the room.

I smiled, my quiet way of thanking her.

"Is he your's?" I asked, nodding towards the owl who now stood proudly on her shoulder. She patted the owl lightly, smiling up at him before replying.

"No, he isn't, although I wish he were. This is Pigwidgeon."

I widened my eyes at her, restraining a laugh.

"I beg your pardon?"

She laughed. "Yes, I know, it is a particularly odd name."

"Just a bit."

Shiloh nipped my finger, doing her best to get my attention, angered that I was ignoring her.

"Sorry baby." I patted her lightly before reaching into my pocket, pulling out a treat and handing it to her.

Why would Hermione be up here, crying, tending to an owl that isn't hers? There could only be one answer: a boy, which means I won't ask. I've avoided drama for the past 5 years, I don't need any starting now.

"Have you ever been in love?" she asked, catching me off guard.

"No, I haven't."

"Good, it sucks."

I looked at her curiously, wanting to ask but not daring to. The only question was this: Potter or Weasley? I'm willing to bet it's Weasley, and that's only because even I think he's pretty smokin'.

Hermione began to cry again, and I knew then it was time for me to go. I kissed Shiloh behind one of her ears, handing her another treat before walking towards the doorway. I stopped, glancing back at her, a pang of sadness building in my stomach.

"I hope you feel better, Hermione." I whispered, not staying to hear her reply, if she even had one.

***

I laid in bed that night, restless. I felt bad for her, Hermione, and the pain she was going through. After thinking it through I knew it was Ron that she was so upset over. It made me wonder about life and love, friendship.. Important qualities of the world, especially love and friendship.. Things I had never really felt, besides with my family. Chase was really my only friend, and that doesn't really count, since he's my brother.

I kind of like it that way, though. When you watch the world around you, it seems difficult. So many fights and tears, why bother?

Then again, seeing friends together, happy to be in one another's company, boys and girls together, dating, in love... It seems like a fairytale, something so perfect it's worth striving for..

But sometimes it's better to be alone.
♠ ♠ ♠
guess who got a laptop? meeeeeeee.
i'm so happy.
sorry, it's been awhile since i updated. i'm doing my best.
i hope you'll still be interested! (: