Sequel: Better Than Revenge
Status: cookie for a comment? :)

Enchanted to Meet You

Enchanted To Meet You

“No.”

“Oh, come on.”

“Jacob, I said NO. No means no.”

“Well, you’re already here, so tough luck.”

My stomach dropped to my feet as I watched him pull up to a house through the windshield.

I locked my fingers onto the seat. “You said we were getting ice cream.”

“I lied.” He said plainly.

I huffed. “The only reason I even agreed to get ice cream was because I can’t stand listening to my parents fight.”

He yanked the keys out of the ignition. “Again?”

I nodded, disgusted. “It’s getting worse. They’re already divorced, you’d think they’d be yelling at each other a lot less.”

He chewed on his cheek, awkwardly running his fingers along the steering wheel.

I sighed, watching out the window again. I could see halfway into the backyard. “Jake, I’m not going.”

“Just give it a chance.”

“It makes me uncomfortable.” I admitted. “I don’t…like people.”

He turned his head to give me a look.

“You know as well as anyone that I’m not a social butterfly.” I said, shoving his shoulder.

“They’re not going to say anything. I’ve already brought Bella here.”

“And you bring me as a second choice when she ditches you?”

He didn’t say anything. Only a grin was plastered to his face.

“Aren’t your bon fires, like, super secretive, or something?” I asked, trailing off at the end. I was distracted.

A boy came out of the house through the front door. He jumped down the concrete stairs and continued towards the backyard, glancing at Jake’s car. He smiled a little and waved to Jacob, but noticed me and stopped dead in his tracks.

In any other circumstance I would find it a little creepy and feel very self-conscious, but for whatever reason, I didn’t. I felt a little ball of warmth in my chest, radiating through the rest of my body and tugging my lips into a smile. The same thing seemed to happen to him as he lifted his hand and waved.

The warmth rushed up to my cheeks and the smile turned shy. I had a weird feeling that I’d met him before, although I was certain I’d never met any of Jacob’s wolfy friends. It was crazy, but my heart was clearly already set on him. I didn’t even know his name.

There was a loud, blaring noise that caused us both to jump out of our skins. Jacob snickered as he punched the horn again.

The boy in front of the car kicked the bumper and ran off into the backyard to join the others.

“I haven’t seen the kid smile like that in weeks.” Jake muttered.

“Huh?” I asked dumbly, still staring at the same spot.

“Seth’s girlfriend just moved across the country. It’s been really hard on him. He hasn‘t even come out of his room.”

I was thrilled to know his name, but completely deflated to find out he had a girlfriend. It must have been noticeable.

“I don’t think he’s worried about that anymore, though.” Jake said, bumping my arm with his elbow and raising his eyebrows up and down.

I shoved his shoulder again. “Do they have food?” I said, trying to ease my excitement. I couldn’t wait to get to that bon fire.

“Don’t you already have some man candy?” He joked, opening his door and sticking out his tongue.

I couldn’t do anything physical to hurt him at the moment. I would have to get him back later.

. . . . . . . .

Seth’s Point of View:

I was pretty sure it would burst right through my chest.

I didn’t run far at all, just from the house to the backyard, and my heart was running an endless marathon. I grabbed my shirt to make sure it was staying inside of me.

“Look who’s alive.” Paul greeted. I guess.

I could barely hear him over that thumping noise in my ears.

“We missed you.” Emily stood up to hug me with one arm. She kissed my cheek. “You’re warm.” She commented, pressing her fingers to my skin.

“Em, don’t you know by now?” Quil asked. “Being warm is a wolf thing.”

“But he’s extra warm. Are you feeling okay?”

I really thought about that. Was I sick? My stomach was swirling like a toilet bowl, and my heart was starting to almost hurt, banging against my ribcage like that. Maybe I was having a heart attack.

“Yeah.” I choked, clearing my throat and sitting down next to Leah.

“He hasn’t breathed fresh air in a month.” She said, throwing the bag of marshmallows at me. “It’s like he’s a fish out of water.”

Everyone turned their attention from me to the approaching Jacob. They greeted him, waiting eagerly for him to introduce the girl trying helplessly to hide behind him.

“This is Valerie. She goes to school with Bella.”

Valerie.

“Hi.” She said quietly, her voice easily the most beautiful sound I’d ever heard.

A bunch of eyes were drawn back to me, all of those that could hear my heart beating faster than before.

Jacob sat down next to me, leaving enough room for Valerie to sit between us. Her scent overwhelmed my senses. I thought I was going to pass out.

She glanced sideways at me, smiling and tucking her hair behind her ear. It was the color of chocolate-covered strawberries.

“Seth, share the marshmallows.” Sam told me, a smirk playing on his lips. Others chuckled.

I remembered the bag in my lap. I picked it up with a shaky hand, offering it to Valerie.

She smiled again, setting my heart into overdrive. “Thanks.”

I nodded, not trusting my voice in the slightest.

Thankfully, the attention was lifted from me as separate conversations were started. Valerie and I were the only ones not talking.

“So, um…”

I stopped breathing, listening to her every word.

She poked a stick through her marshmallow. “You’re name’s Seth, right?”

“Yup.” I said, even though I didn’t trust it. “And you’re Valerie?” Hearing myself say her name…

She nodded. “Val is fine, too.”

I swallowed hard. “Nice to meet you.”

She smiled again, dropping it when she realized her marshmallow was on fire. “Nice to meet you too.” She giggled after blowing out the fire.

And yet the fire kept burning.
♠ ♠ ♠
let me know if you think I should continue with this story :) comment and subscribe!