Sequel: Better Than Revenge
Status: cookie for a comment? :)

Enchanted to Meet You

The Wedding

As soon as I got home, I headed straight for the bathroom. I was in one of those shower moods, the kind where I hoped my stresses would wash down the drain and be gone forever. Sometimes it worked, but other times it didn’t. I was hoping this would be one of those times it would.

I took a towel from the hall closet and threw it over the sink, reaching into the shower and turning on the hot water. I turned to the mirror and watched it start to fog over. After a second, I stood under the stream of hot water, allowing it to work it’s magic.

The warmth washed fluidly over my shoulders and down my back, soaking deep into my hair. Goose bumps raised on my arms, even though I was far from cold. The feeling reminded me of sleeping so closely to Seth, his arms keeping me near to his comforting skin. I bit my lip to hide the smile from myself, which didn’t make any sense, but I did it anyway.

After I washed everything, I turned off the water and grabbed my towel, drying off briefly. I was ready to leave the bathroom, but was distracted by the foggy mirror. I swiped my hand across it as a weird habit, catching a glimpse of myself. My mascara was smudged a little under my eyes, but I left it be.

I held my towel around myself and scurried down the hall to my bedroom. I realized then that I had grabbed one of the short towels that just barely reached the middle of my thighs. I stuck my hand in to feel for the light switch on the wall, and flicked it upwards when I found it. My room was illuminated with light, revealing quite a surprise.

I gasped, nearly dropping my towel (which would have been awful). “Jesus,” I breathed, clutching my chest.

Jacob flinched at my surprise, his eyes widening and then dropping immediately. “Oh! I’m - I’m sorry.”

“What are you doing here?” I demanded, holding my towel tighter. My stupid short towel.

He spluttered his words like a broken machine. “I, uh, do you - do you wanna get dressed…first?”

I nodded a few extra times than necessary. He passed by and I closed the door behind him, leaning against it with a heavy sigh. I straightened up, realizing that I needed clothes. I nearly jumped into my dresser, pulling out random sweatpants and a t-shirt. I yanked a brush through my hair and then opened my door, finding Jake pacing slowly in front of my door.

He smiled softly, stopping to face me. I smiled back, reaching on my tippy-tip-toes to curl my arms around his neck.

“I thought you were gone.” I whispered.

“I was…well, I am.”

I stepped back, wrinkling my eyebrows.

He sighed, like he knew he would have to explain himself. “I’m not staying.”

I made room for him to come back into the room. “Where are you going?”

He made himself comfortable on the corner of my bed. “I don’t know.”

“You can’t just go running around in the forest like a wild animal!” I said, slowly beginning to notice the irony of my words.

He blew it off. “I need some time, Val.”

I used my towel to dry my hair, squeezing it a few times. “Why did you come here?”

He shrugged. “You’re the only one who understands.”

My heart broke for him. “Jake,”

“I don’t want you to feel bad for me.” He said firmly, rising to his feet. “That’s not why I’m here.”

“You shouldn’t run from it.” I said soothingly, worried that he would run. Literally.

“I need time to clear my head, okay? I’ll come back…” He sounded uncertain, and it worried me.

I huffed. “You’re cancelling out my shower!” I mumbled, crossing my arms in a pout.

“What?”

“Nothing.”

He breathed out through his nose, staring at me. Then he pulled my head close to his, kissing it sweetly, and heading towards the door.

“So that’s it?” I said, throwing my hands in the air. “You’re just leaving?”

He paused, keeping his back facing me.

“How am I supposed to know if you’re okay? How will I know where you are, if you’re safe?”

His laugh was humorless. “You won’t worry about me.”

Suddenly, I became annoyed with his attitude. “Fine. Just leave. You better go now, because Seth will be here any minute.”

He laughed again, but this time for real. “I’ll miss you.”

“Shut up.”

Another little laugh, and he was gone.

. . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . .

“Come on, we’re going to be late.”

“One sec! OW!” I dropped the curling iron, pinching my pointer finger between my other fingers. It was bright red.

There was a chuckle from behind the door. “Are you alright?”

“I’m fine.” I grumbled. “I burnt my finger on the curling iron.”

“I never knew you were such a GIRL.”

“Shut up.” I picked up the curling iron carefully and finished curling the last strand of my hair. Then I looked in the full-length mirror on the bathroom door.

My hair (obviously curled) was pinned back in the front with a fancy little clip thing I found in my room that matched my halter dress, which was a deep indigo color with beads on the top section, and fell elegantly to my knees. I tried my mom’s heels. I didn’t trust them at all, but decided to wear them anyway.

I was surprised. I actually looked really pretty. And I’m not one of those girls who knows she’s pretty all the time. But everyone’s aloud to know once and a while.

My reflection was replaced. His black dress pants were crossed by his legs, leaning against the doorway. His light green shirt was tucked neatly into his pants, and then that incredible smile topped it all off. I couldn’t breath.

“You look great,” The Smile admired. “I know that I’m supposed to say that…but you really do.”

“Thanks,” I squeaked stupidly. “You too.”

“Let’s go, kids!” Sue called from downstairs.

Seth reached out to take my hand and we ran down the steps, almost tumbling over each other.

My stomach was twisting once we got in the car. Bella was getting married. I was happy for her, no doubt about that, but I was just…surprised, I guess. Not as surprised as everyone else, but still surprised.

When Bella appeared at the end of the aisle, I crossed my fingers in my lap. She better not fall. I knew Charlie would make sure of that. She was beautiful, no other word to describe it. And Edward…

I stopped myself from staring when Seth noticed.

After Bella was announced as Mrs. Cullen, I saw her up close for the first time. Strangely flawless, for Bella anyway.

“Congrats.” I hugged her quickly. She smiled, unable to speak. I understood.

“Thank you, Valerie.” Edward spoke for her, smiling at me.

Seth took his turn in the hugs, creating a special smile on the newlywed’s faces.

I caught up with them again after the wedding at the reception. Bella was still attached to her new husband by the hand.

“So how’s it feel?” I asked.

“It’s really great. I’m glad you came.” She let go of Edward’s hand for the minute to give me a real hug.

“I couldn’t miss your wedding, Bella.” I rolled my eyes. “It’s only the most important day of your life.”

Someone cleared their throat behind me. It was Seth, his hand held to hold mine like the perfect gentleman.

I looked back to Bella, sadly realizing that she would be gone for her honeymoon by tomorrow. Would I get the chance to see her again?

“Go ahead.” She insisted. Her friends from school were now caught in her attention.

“May I have this dance?” Seth asked with a really bad British accent.

“Um…I’m not really a good dancer.” I admitted inexpertly.

He ditched the accent. “Too bad.” And scooped me into his arms, completely catching me off guard.

He carried me to the exact middle of the dance floor, placing me back on my unsteady high-heeled feet.

“Seth, I can’t dance.” I rephrased my statement.

“It’s not rocket science.” He muttered, swinging my arms around his neck and placing his hands at my waist.

“Wait,” I bent down and unbuckled the straps on my heels, kicking them to the side. I dropped a good three inches, letting my squished little toes be free. “Okay.”

Seth kissed my nose, and we started dancing.

After a minute, I got the hang of it. It almost took no concentration. “They look so great together, don’t they?” I observed, watching Bella awkwardly talking to her guests.

“Yeah,” Seth agreed. “But not as good as we do.”

I laughed pretty hard then, him joining in. In a normal situation, that would have been the sweetest thing ever. But in our situation, where I spilled half my soda on my dress and it left a stain, and where Seth took the other half on his sleeve, it’s just funny.

After ridding of our giggles, we swayed gently to the soft music, my head getting heavy. I laid it on his shoulder, my cheek being warmed by his body heat, even through his shirt. It was nice, relaxing. Of course it didn’t last long.

Seth stopped our slow circling. I lifted my head.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, following his gaze into the forest. I could only imagine what could be coming. “What is it?”

He smiled big. “It’s Jake.”

My eyes flew to the edge of the forest, where I could see very faintly the outline of a tall figure.

I grabbed his hand, moving as fast as I could through the clumpy guests. I couldn’t get there fast enough. It had been almost a week, and no one had heard anything from him. And now he was here, at Bella’s wedding!

Somewhere in the midst of people, I lost Seth’s hand, but assumed he was behind me. I could see an opening ahead, a space between the endless bodies. I wondered if Bella even knew all these people.

Something strange happened then.

I felt like I’d been swept off of my feet, and then I felt like I was flying. There was only a short little breeze before it was very dark, and very quiet. I wasn’t at the party anymore, and I wasn’t surrounded by people. Instead, I was surrounded by trees.

I could hear my breathing very clearly, trying to let my eyes adjust. I wish they hadn’t, because the first thing they focused on were a pair of blood red eyes, and a blonde to go with them.
♠ ♠ ♠
oooh. okay, we all knew that was going to happen eventually. but are you SURE you know what will happen next? hehehe :) OK SO stuff is going to go down really soon, and if you want it you gotta comment!!