Sequel: Better Than Revenge
Status: cookie for a comment? :)

Enchanted to Meet You

Starting Over

Dissociative amnesia. That’s what he called it.

I didn’t say a word. I just stood off to the side, finding a good spot to lean against on the wall, and watched from there.

Esme was kindly taping Valerie’s fingers together, trying to make some sort of easy conversation. She wouldn’t talk.

Carlisle was trying to explain to Val’s mom what happened without really explaining what happened. I didn’t know the story, but I didn’t really care what it was. The Cullens were good with stories.

Her mom was flustered, asking a bazillion questions. I had more questions than she did, but I couldn’t bring myself to ask them. I’d never met her mother before now, and it wasn’t the way I pictured it.

Jacob wanted to leave, but he felt obligated to stay, even though it meant being forced to see the girl he loves prance around in a wedding dress. Knowing him, he’ll slap Valerie with a big fat “you owe me”. That is, if she ever remembers him.

Or me.

It hadn’t sunk in yet. I didn’t fully understand that my imprint doesn’t have any idea who I am. It was like we never met, like we were starting over. But after the first impression I’d given her, she probably thinks I’m a creep.

She caught me staring at her. I bit my tongue and looked in the other direction. Yes, definitely a creep.

But it isn’t just me. She doesn’t remember anyone, not Jacob, or Bella, or even her own mother. She doesn’t know why she’s at this wedding, she doesn’t know who it’s for. She doesn’t even know when her birthday is.

She doesn’t remember being my imprint, she doesn’t remember werewolves, or vampires. She doesn’t remember anything.

I couldn’t accept it.

Val’s mom gave up with her unanswered questions, keeping her daughter company with a half hug around the shoulder. Val tried to smile, but it was clearly forced. I couldn’t imagine, being hugged by a woman that’s supposed to be your mother.

I was staring into space when I was approached by Carlisle, Jacob right behind him.

“Emmett and Jasper are searching for any sign of Elena. There isn’t much else that can be done at this point.” Carlisle spoke to each of us equally.

I decided to ask my questions. “Isn’t amnesia supposed to happen when you hit your head, or something?”

Carlisle nodded. “Simple amnesia, yes. Dissociative amnesia occurs when someone is confronted with a extremely stressful or traumatic event ; it’s not a physical injury.”

“So the situation made her lose her memory?” Jacob asked, dumbfounded.

“She didn’t lose it. It’s hiding deep inside her head, because she put it there. Anything associated with the event that caused the amnesia is locked away for now. In order to get it back, we need to find the key.”

“The key?” I wondered.

“Something to trigger the memories. Sometimes it can be seeing someone for the first time, other times it can be more complicated, like a certain smell or location. It‘s very tricky.”

I considered everything he said, muttering to myself, “She shut me out.”

“It isn’t your fault.” Carlisle said, even though we all knew it was. “And it wasn’t necessarily tonight’s events that caused it. It might have been building over some time, and this set it over the edge.”

“How long will it take for it all to come back?” Jacob asked.

“It depends. It could be a few hours, or a few weeks. The best thing to do is try and get familiar thoughts and memories to resurface as soon as possible, in order to give her full potential in retrieving it.”

Esme flashed another sweet smile at Val before she stood up, offering Valerie’s mom a cup of tea. I had to chuckle. Who woulda thought the Cullens had tea?

Val was alone, examining her fingers and playing with the tape. Her frame was very tight, like she wanted to roll up into a ball and hide in the corner. It was so out of character. She’s supposed to be cheery and smiley and fun, all of the reasons I love her. But her smile is frowny, and her cheery is lonely. Like she’s a different person.

Jacob bumped my arm, pointing to her with his chin. A lump formed in my throat, and it wouldn’t go down.

I walked cautiously to the chair Esme pulled up to the sofa, in front of Val. Her eyes were still down, and she pretended like I wasn’t there.

I folded my hands nervously in my lap, bouncing my knee. She still refused to look at me, so I peeked over my shoulder at Jake. He nodded a few times.

I turned my head back, stunned by the big, green eyes staring back at me. I smiled a little at her, but she pressed her lips into a line out of shyness. I copied her, fighting a frown, and she dropped her eyes again.

Come on, Seth. You just blew your chance.

But I don’t even know what to say. What do you say to a girl with amnesia? Hey, I’m Seth. It’s okay if you don’t remember me, I’m only your soul mate. It’s my fault you don’t remember anything, so don’t blame yourself. You didn’t do anything wrong. Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. I’m a werewolf. And that girl Elena is a vampire ; she’s the one who broke your fingers and I didn’t try and stop her. That guy over there that helped you out is a doctor, and he’s also a vampire. But don’t worry, he’s immune to human blood, or something…

Unbelieveable.

I kept it general. “How do you feel?”

She raised her eyebrows with a hint of attitude.

I laughed. “Okay, stupid question.”

I was satisfied, getting a tiny smile out of her. It was enough of a smile to let me know my Val was still in there, and all I had to do was help her find her way out.
♠ ♠ ♠
this is short, but i figured it was mean to leave such a nutsy cliffhanger until this weekend. I ditched my math homework for you guys. you're welcome :) but seriously THANKS A ZILLION for your comments! I wuv you wif all my heart <3