Sequel: Better Than Revenge
Status: cookie for a comment? :)

Enchanted to Meet You

The Old Me

Val’s Point of View:

It was scary, how Jacob was reacting. There’s no other way to describe it.

This Bella girl and her new husband really get to him.

“If he laid one finger on her -” Jacob cut himself off in a fit of grumbles.

I advised myself not to get involved, but I couldn’t stand to see him so flustered. “It might not be his fault. They went to a tropical island, she could have picked up any number of sicknesses.”

He wouldn’t buy it. “His filthy hands were just -” Again, he cut himself off, pacing the floor like it was his job.

“She’ll be okay.” I promised unrightfully. “It’s probably just a bug.”

His wild eyes focused solidly on mine. “The crazy thing is, you would be freaking out right along with me if you didn’t lose your freaking mind!”

It murdered my self esteem. “I’m sorry.” It was all I could say to anyone anymore.

He finally took a seat, but bounced his leg like a maniac. I noticed his hands begin to shake unnaturally, and his breathing quicken.

“Jacob,” I said as an instant reaction to distract him. It seemed like he was going to explode.

“I’m fine.” He growled through his teeth.

“Maybe you should go and see her?”

He chuckled in an angered way. “I won’t be able to stop myself from lunging at her bloodsu-” When he cut himself off this time, it was to prevent too much information from escaping.

“His name is Edward, isn’t it? He’s her husband now, you can’t go and make a scene. He’s kind of…obligated…to, you know. Touch her.” I bit my tongue at the awkwardness.

He shook his head numerous times. “You don’t get it. She won’t be the same now that she’s with him.”

The anger that was shaking him before softened now, and I saw the sadness begin to surface.

I understood. “You love her. Don‘t you?”

He blinked, and his dark eyes tamed themselves, taking me in. He sighed, closing them again. He appeared exhausted.

“I know that there’s probably something I’m missing,” I said, stating the obvious. “But if Bella chose Edward, then that was her choice. It will be her life, and maybe once she grows old and raises a family you’ll feel different. Maybe you and Edward can be friends.”

Jacob lifted his head completely to show me a puzzled look on his face. Then he laughed with humor at some kind of joke I didn’t quite understand. “Either you’re a damn good actress, or you really have no idea what the hell is going on.”

I wrinkled my eyebrows, trying to decide.

Jacob laughed through his nose. “Remind me to make fun of you when you start remembering stuff again, ‘kay?”

I still didn’t get the joke. “Alright.” He still looked deflated. “Would you like a hug?”

He pondered the thought. “Couldn’t hurt.”

I met him halfway and loosely wrapped my arms around his middle, jumping away when I touched him.

His puzzled look returned. “What?”

I felt my eyes stretching out my eyelids, reaching frantically for his hand. It was hot, almost burning to the touch. “You’re sick!”

“I’m fine.” He chuckled at the inside joke again.

“No, no, you’re skin is really hot! You have a fever!” I pressed the back of his hand to his forehead. I gasped at it again. “Jacob!”

“I told you, Val. I’m fine.” He touched his fingers to my cheek.

I shook my head. “You’re…”

“I’m what?” He challenged.

“Weird.”

He dropped his hand in shock. “I’m weird? Who’s the one with the lights on, but nobody’s home?” He knocked on my head with his knuckles.

“Who has the body temperature of an oven?” I teased back.

“No, see, you can’t say that’s weird because I’ve been running at 108.9 for as long as you can remember - well, as long as you should remember - I’ve been smoking hot forever, babe.”

I laughed at his fake cockiness. “Why should I believe that?”

“Because you’ve been gullible forever, and you’re a little lost upstairs.”

I rolled my eyes and then dropped them to my feet.

“I’m telling the truth, too.”

“Shut up.”

I lifted my eyes, and a tiny smile was on his lips. “That sounds like the old you.”

I blinked. “Really? Because I thought that was mean…”

His smile grew. “Nah, that’s just you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
GUYS. i saw a commercial on tv for breaking dawn today. sooooo excited! midnight show :) i wanted to say something else but i forget...oh well. comment and subscribe!!!