Status: Very active.

The Big Empty

I wouldn't hand over what's mine.

Kati handed over the signed separation papers to her lawyer with a forced smile on her face. She was ready to leave and go have lunch with Vicki. Sitting in Mark Snyder’s office was enough to set her nerves on the edge. “Can I go now?” She asked impatiently.

The lawyer nodded his head, “I’ll call you to confirm Mr. Leto’s signature.”

Kati stood up, straightened white cardigan that laid over top of her navy blue romper, and shook the lawyers hand. “Thank you.” And with those words she was on the way out of the door.

A smile spread across her face as Vicki waved her over the table outside of a local café they have lunch at every week or so. Kati sat down quickly and put her purse on the ground next to the chair. “You didn’t bring the little Milicevic?”

Vicki laughed softly, “No. Tomo and his mom took Marcus to the zoo. They wanted to give us girls some girl time.”

“Awe, that’s cute! I’ll have to come over sometime and see him. Maybe Haley and I could take him overnight and let you guys have some fun.” Kati was cut off by the waiter. She gave him her order and he left as quickly as he came. “Anyway, you and Tomo need some alone time.”

“Tomo and I could always use some alone time. I’ll talk to him and see what works for him.” Vicki paused and took a sip of her water. “So, how did things go with the lawyer?”

Kati shrugged her shoulders, “Alright, I suppose. All I have to do is wait for Shannon to sign the papers and we’ll be legally separated.”

Vicki leaned in, “You still aren’t going to press charges, are you?”

Kati rested her hands on her semi-protruding stomach, “Vicki, I’ve told everybody at least a million times, that would cause more trouble.”

“You still haven’t told him?”

“No, and I don’t want anybody to tell him. I’m shocked Tomo has kept his mouth shut this long. “

Vicki’s lip curled to the side, “He’s came close a few times.”

Kati sighed deeply as the waiter set her glass of green tea and anti-pasta in front of her, “I’ll tell him when I’m ready. I just want to start looking at my own place and get everything in place, without his help.”

“You know, most woman would want the man’s help.”

“Not when they are a druggie and an alcoholic.”

Vicki swallowed the food that was in her mouth, “True…very true.”

“On a happier note, I’ve been thinking about names.”

“Already? You don’t even know the sex yet!” Vicki was shocked. Her and Tomo hadn’t thought up named until she was at least six months along in her pregnancy.

“Well, if it’s a boy…I think I’ll carry on the Leto surname. I know it’ll be tough for me, Shannon still is the father.”

That was another shocker to Vicki. “Excuse me?”

“Don’t play stupid, Vic.”

“Okay. Okay. I understand. I get it.” There was an awkward pause in the conversation before Vicki asked anymore questions. “Any actual names though?”

“Garrett Joseph Leto. I’m more or less carrying on the better Leto’s legacy.” Kati chuckled softly has she stuffed a fork full of salad into her mouth.

“It’s different. I like that. I’m sure Haley will be pleased with it to since her and Jared weren’t able to have children.”

“I think so too.”

It was almost midnight when the dreaded phone call from Shannon came. Kati hesitated to answer, but she knew it was time to tell him the truth. “Yes?”

“When were you planning on telling me?” He sounded angry. That wasn’t anything unusual for him.

“Never,” Kati replied groggily.

“That’s not even right. Kati, that’s really fucked up.”

“Well, you know what, you are really fucked up. You are a coke head. An alcoholic. No child of mine will be around that kind of shit. Then there is the fact that you raped me. Yeah, I really want my child around somebody like you. Shannon, get a life.”

“Kati, I love you! Everybody knows it!” Kati pulled the phone away from his ear as he yelled into the receiver. “I love you!”

“Everybody but me, Shan. Everybody but me.”

“You don’t need to be like this. You can talk to me. I’m not fucked up right now. Please, don’t do this.” By this time, Shannon was now in tears.

“The only time you will ever see our child is when it’s born. I don’t even want you there for that, but that’s what Jared would have wanted.”

“You’ve got to be kidding me.”

“No, I’m not kidding you. Now if you don’t mind, pregnant woman need their sleep. Goodbye, Shannon.”
♠ ♠ ♠
One more chapter left guys!
If I get enough feedback in the next few days, I may do a prequel!