Status: Very active.

The Big Empty

Epilogue:

Kati was asleep in her queen sized bed. She had the burgundy comforter wrapped around her petite body tightly. The television was turned on, but set on a low volume so she could hear the baby monitor that sat on the night stand. Lately, Kati dreamt of nothing and tonight wasn’t any different. Even though Garrett was sleeping through the night, insomnia still reared it’s ugly head whatever chance it head. Luckily, Kati had eventually fallen asleep.

Moments later, a loud banging on the front door made her jump from her position and hurry out of the bedroom. She was so tired and confused as to why somebody would be knocking on her door at this hour in the morning. Kati glanced at the time on the microwave, “Two-thirty. What the fuck even?” Before she opened the door, she grabbed onto the metal baseball bat that sat next to the fireplace mantel. “Who is it?” Kati spoke loudly. She didn’t want to wake her son.

“It’s Shannon.”

Kati sighed deeply, “You’ve got to be fucking kidding me.” She swung open the door and Shannon nearly fell on top of her. Thankfully, he had the bright idea to use the sides of the doorway to support his weight. “What are you doing here at this hour?”

“I needed to see you.”

“At almost three o’clock in the fucking morning?” Kati pushed Shannon out of her doorway and out into the front yard. She stood at the doorway now while Shannon looked up at her helplessly, “You need to leave.”

“Kati, just let me explain. Please.”

“There is nothing to explain. We are getting divorced. You will not see Garrett. I am moving back to Maryland eventually. You will never see us again. Okay? Now get the fuck off of my lawn before I call the cops.”

Shannon threw his hands up in the air, “Then call the cops! I just want to tell you something. Please, just give me two minutes.”

Kati held onto the bat tightly in her left hand while her other hand rested on her hip, “Two minutes.” Shan took a step towards his soon-to-be ex-wife. “No, you stay where you are.”

“Fine.” Shannon breathed in deeply, “I’m going into rehab tomorrow. I’m going to get better for you and Garrett.”

“You need to do it for yourself.”

“Would you just let me finish?” He pleaded. Kati kept quiet and let Shannon continue. “I’m hoping you’ll hold off on signing the divorce papers until I get out. I want to prove to you that I’m all better. I need you with me, Kati. I miss you so much.”

“You should have thought about that before you raped me. Now I have to hide that from our child. I have to hide from Garrett that he’s a product of his father’s abusive behavior. You really need to leave.”

“Kati…please…”

“I’m tired of this constant pleading. You need to leave.” Kati took a step behind the door, “I’m closing the door now. Goodbye, Shannon.”

The door shut and Shannon fell to his knees, “Goodbye, Kati.”