Jell-O

Jell-O revised

“No I don’t have any Jell-O,” Erin said looking through her fridge moving aside various bottles and containers. Her friend Haley was sitting on the couch in her living room clicking though the channels on the flat screen T.V.
“Did you check in the fridge?” Haley yelled not bothering to look in Erins direction, eyes glued to the screen.
“I’m looking there right now,” Erin retorted rolling her eyes and shutting the fridge door. She made her way into the living room.
“Check the back of the fridge,” yelled Haley still staring at the glowing box mounted on the wall.
“Why don’t you get up and go look for the non existent Jell-O and I’ll sit on the couch and watch T.V,” Erin said smirking and standing right in front of Haley blocking her vision. Haley just looked up at Erin and groaned.
“Fine,” she said pushing herself up of the couch and walking towards the kitchen. She walked towards the fridge but stopped when she saw something out of the corner of her eye.
“What’s this note on your counter?” Haley asked picking up the piece of paper and examining it.
“What note?” Erin asked her turning her head in the direction of the kitchen.
“This note right here, on the counter, it says to Erin right on it,” Haley explained propping her self up on her elbows still looking at the paper.
“There’s no note on the counter,” Erin said shaking her head.
“Come see for yourself,” said Haley said holding out the note to her.
“Fine I’ll come look at your imaginary note,” Erin said getting up and walking towards the kitchen. She saw the note in Haley’s hand.
“Oh there really is a note,” she remarked taking it from her friend and looking at it.
“Read it,” Haley said, her eyes widening as Erin unfolded the note. Erin cleared her throat and read the note outloud.
“Hey Erin sorry but I ate the last Jell-O hope you don’t mind. Dead people can’t eat anyway,” she read her voice wavering at the last sentence. She looked up at Haley and gave a weak smile.
“What?” Haley asked raising a brow. A soft thud was heard from the hallway and their heads snapped in the direction of the mysterious sound.
“What was that noise?” Erin whispered not taking her eyes away from the hallway.
“What noise?” Haley asked trying to act like she hadn’t heard it. The thud came again a bit louder this time.
“That noise! It’s coming from the hallway!” Erin exclaimed running towards the doorway leading out of the living room and into the main part of the house. She looked around trying to find where the noise came from. The thud came again louder this time.
“Well do we investigate or what?” Haley asked panicked looking at her friend, her face a ghostly white.
“It’s probably someone just playing a prank on us,” Erin said trying to sound confident but there was an unmistakable waver in her voice that gave away that she was feeling anything but.
“Follow me,” she demanded walking towards the stair case that led to the upstairs bedrooms and the master bath.
“What if it’s not someone playing a prank?” Haley asked, stopping in her tracks. She crossed her arms over her chest and shifter her weight to one side.
“Then what would it be do you really think someone is in my house right now trying to kill us?” Erin laughed nervously trying to reassure herself as well as her friend. She extended an arm to the stairs.
“Here, you go upstairs and I’ll check down here,” she suggested.
“Are you dumb?” Haley asked not moving from her spot.
“What do you mean?” Erin replied squinting her eyes and crossing her arms as well.
“If we split up we’re both going to die, our chances of survival are way better if we stay together,” explained Haley mater of factly.
“You watch to many horror movies, go upstairs,” Erin stated rolling her eyes.
“Fine,” Haley sighed as she walked up three steps stopping for a moment.
Haley added, “But if I die you better feel sorry.”
“You aren’t going to die, now go,” Erin said shooing her up the stairs.
“I’m going I’m going,” Haley said sarcastically throwing her hands in the air.
“Yell down if you find anything,” Erin said looking around the main entrance and the mid room.
“Oh you’ll know if I find anything,” Haley yelled down to Erin.
“So how’s it going up there?” Erin shouted up walking to the stairs and looking under them.
“Nothing yet, thank god,” Haley yelled back as she checked in the bedrooms upstairs. She was about to check the bathroom when something came down on her head, hard.
“Nothing down here either,” Erin shouted stopping at the end of the stairs and looking up. Hailey didn’t respond.
“How’s it going up there?” she shouted again walking up a couple stairs. Still no response.
“Haley?” Erin screamed starting to run up the stairs two at a time.
“I’m coming upstairs and if you’re doing this to scare me I’m gonna be so mad!” Erin yelled.
“Haley this isn’t funny!” Erin yelled running down the hall to her room. She check in her room, in her parents room, her brothers room. Haley wasn’t anywhere.
“Are you in the bathroom,” she asked as she walked into the bathroom. There she saw her friend laying face down in the tub, which was full of a red substance that resembled gelatin.
“Haley!” she screamed as she realized her friend was dead, her legs and arms grey in color. A voice from down the call caused her to jump.
“Told you I took the Jell-O,” a voice called to her from a place unseen.
“I’m calling the police!” Erin screamed running to her room and dialing the phone as quick as her fingers would allow. The voice on the other end picked up.
“Hello? Police! There’s someone in my house. They killed my friend in my bathtub with Jell-O!” Erin cried into the phone. The phone clicked and the line was dead.
“Hello? Hello?” Erin screamed holding the phone out in front of her. She could feel someone close behind her.
“No one can help you now,” the voice whispered.
“Help me!” Erin screamed as she shot out of her room and towards the stairs. She ran down the stairs falling once and sliding down a couple stairs before getting back on her feet.
“No one is going to help you Erin no one is going to believe that your friend died in Jell-O” the voice laughed chasing behind her catching up. All Erin had to do was run through the med room and out the door.
“You can’t run Erin” the voice shouted closer than before.
“Somebody help me!” Erin cried fumbling with the door knob trying to open the door to safety. It was jammed and she couldn’t turn it.
“Maybe you should try calling the cops again? Tell them its cherry Jell-O it’ll seem more believable” the voice laughed closing in on Erin.
“Why are you doing this?” Erin screamed pulling her hair and spinning around. Her vision was blurred from the tears and she was shaking with fear.
“Because last year during lunch I was sitting there minding my own business and you came along and snagged my Jell-O cup. Last Jell-O cup I might add this, this is revenge,” the voice explained menacingly, her voice shaking with rage.
“Rebecca?” Erin asked taking a moment to think about this event. The shadowy figure moved closer to her and raised it’s arm high in the air. Erin turned back to the door and tried again to open it but there was no escape. The mysterious person had her trapped.
“Goodbye Erin” the voice said laughing softly as they finished Erin in a few slashing motions.