Status: In Progress.

Human Error and the Technological Singularity

Chapter 1: Conception

The horror begins long before you can even remember, long before your ancestors and also theirs. Technically speaking, I would think this story begins with the dawn of man; the very moment their brains were capable of problem solving and put into action in some form. You may not have much knowledge of the history of humankind, I'm not even sure if this manuscript will reach anyone once I am finished. These are hard times we are living in, and nothing at all like my ancestors before me could have fathomed.

Everyone is familiar with technology. It is in human nature to invent. Early man derived several different apparatus from what they could gather within reach. Apparatus to assist them in their daily chores, to make their lives a little easier, better...and in the beginning it was just that. Better. Imagine what it was like for them. Instead of eating raw meat, you could now have it cooked, instead of waiting for your meals to die naturally, now you can kill them, instead of having your skin open to the elements, you can now cover it. There was so much to be improved in the natural world and we saw opportunity in every corner of it.

Technology. The word itself is riveting, electrifying, mysterious but above all, seductive. What makes it so seductive is its ability to make everything simple. It's simply that; the simplicity of a simple mind content with simpleness. To give the benefit of the doubt, not all technology exists solely just to make life more comfortable for those too lazy to otherwise solve the problem themselves. Robotic surgery for instance improved productivity and accuracy and medicine had gone to new and promising heights. Things that were created to give humans longevity at first were wonderful gifts. Alas, there is always room for greed to settle in and fester until it becomes an uncontrollable urge to push the limits of nature and we just have to know, have to see what enhancements can be made to our natural form.

Computer hardware followed a trend called Moore's Law. Simple semiconductor devices were able to be placed on microchips for low costs. The number of devices to a chip doubled every two years. This allowed for every aspect of performance and quality of technology to improve drastically. The rate of which new technology was being created was exponential. The trend ended around the year 2050. By that time, it was hardly possible to tell the difference between reality and fabrication.

The goal of society was so close and to get there meant the greatest sacrifice of all. Personal identity. To truly escape the reality of living, they had to integrate with their greatest love of all, as a whole. More and more chip implants sprung up among the rich and the poor. This allowed them a whole new dimension of interaction with computers and other machines. Even at this seemingly great length they went to, it still was not enough.

Before long, organs started being replaced with machines, that could be adjusted externally as needed. People voluntarily received robotic prosthetics to enhance their user experience. No price was too great, every debt was well worth the cost. Loans were taken out, second mortgages, people sold most of their belongings, most even went so far as to sell their dignity. The world was thrown into a financial crisis as a new super computer was being created.

After a while the price of genetic modification drastically dropped as cyborgs became the majority and Moore's Law still applied. In the blink of an eye, there were no natural humans left. Everyone lived ignorantly blissful although their quality of life had been reduced to shanty towns. They all succumbed to the super computer. All at once, transcended just as they wanted, into God