New Perspective

New Perspective 11

Drama was uneventful. We're reading the script of Hamlet at the moment and then we will be put into two groups to preform each version of our play to the other. It was tiresome. I had done Hamlet in my previous school with the guys. I always was good at drama.
When it ended, finally, I rushed out of the classroom to find Katelynn already there. She was texting on her phone and I saw the perfect opportunity to make her jump. I snuck up besideher and grabbed her shoulders.
"RAWR!" I shouted in her ear.
"Ahhhhh! Oh crap! Brendon that soooooo wasn't funny." she said scowling at me.
"Oh I found it to be quite amusing." I replied wiping the tears from my eyes.
"Hm. What lesson are you missing then?" she asked.
"Music. But Sir knows. What about you?"
"I've got a free. Anyway lets go to the nurses office. I'm sick of the suspense." she said and looped her arm through mine, dragging me down the hall.
"Mr Urie?" someone said from behind us.
It was a scrawny looking boy with glasses and braces. He narrowed his eyes at me before looking at Katelynn. She smiled at him and he seemed to soften a bit.
"What is it Tom?" she asked sweetly.
"Coach sent me to find him. He said Brendon is to come immediately." Tom answered looking at her.
"Oh that's good then. You go ahead Brendon I'll pick up your results and meet you at the field okay?" she said turning to me.
"Are you sure? You don't have to you know." I answered her.
"Positive. Now don't keep Coach waiting any longer. Wouldn't want to spoil your chances would we. I'll be along soon."
"Don't be too long." I said and smiled at her before turning back to Tom.
"Lead the way Tommy Boy!"
****
Katelynn's POV
I watched as Tom led Brendon down the hall in the opposite direction before turning and skipping to the nurses office. I was so excited to find out that he was fine and could play. He was amazing at baseball afterall.
I saw how Darren and Nathan looked at him. They didn't like him. Darren especially didn't like how much I liked him. There never had been anything going on between me and Darren but he always thought there should be. I didn't like that one bit if I was honest. If I wanted to like Brendon I'd like him. Whether it was just as a friend or more than a friend. He couldn't stop me.
I arrived at the nurses office and knocked on the door.
"Come in." a voice from inside called.
I opened the door and found the nurse frowning at a sheet of paper.
"Is everything okay?" I asked her beginning to get worried.
"Not really. Where is Brendon?" she asked looking up at me.
"Coach wanted him so I said I would come and collect the results for him. What is it?"
"Well his blood work shows that one of his kidneys has a problem. If he doesn't have it removed in a few years it will begin to fail and cause further damage." the nurse explained looking back down to the paper.
"Oh no!! So he can't play?!" I almost cried. This was going to be his big break.
"Well he could but it'd probably only make his condition worse. We could always remove it. I could send him to the hospital. It's a pretty simple procediure." she said turning on her computer and bringing up his file.
"But it does say here that he has a bit of a heart problem. I would need to find out what that is before admitting him. Could you please go deliver the news and bring him to me as soon as Coach is finished?" she asked me frowning at the screen.
"Sure. Shall I take the sheet?" I replied a little disheartened.
"Yes please. Thank you."
I ran out the office and down the corridor. I needed to tell him and I needed to tell him now. This wasn't a good thing and it needed fixing as soon as possible. Not just for my sake but for his.