New Perspective

New Perspective 12

Brendon's POV
"You wanted to see me Coach?" I said wandering into his office.
"Urie! Good to see you my boy. Did you get your results?" he said looking up from the whiteboard he was scribbling on.
"Not yet Sir. You called me so Katelynn said she would bring me them since you wanted me." I explained. He nodded and looked back to the scribbles.
"She seems very attached to you that girl. Is there something going on?"
"Not that I know of Sir. Perhaps. But I believe she's just looking out for me." I defended.
"Believe what you wish Urie but I see differently." he winked at me and I gave an awkward smile.
LuckilyKatelynn burst through the doors not a second to late. I really didn't want to have this conversation with my future Coach. She looked frazzled and a bit off if I was honest. Not a happy bunny.
"Can- I have a- word outside please?" she said while breathing heavily.
I frowned slightly.
"Sure."
Following her out the room I noticed she had an envelope in her hands. I quickly pulled it away from her and slipped passed her into the hallway. Pulling out the sheet of paper I looked at the results.
"I'm so sorry Brendon. I really am."
I frowned at thepiece of paper. This wasn't right.
"But she says it's a simple procediure. So it can be fixed."
Not only was this not right but this was bad too... really bad.
"But she did mention something about a heart problem? What's that about?"
"I can't have the op." I said quietly.
"What?" Katelynn asked confused.
"I can't have the operation to remove my kidney."
This was so disheartening it was unbelieveable.
"Why not? I don't understand."
"That heart problem? Yeah I've had it since I was little. There's something that makes it so ifI go under anesthetic my heart stops and I die."
"But that means you can't play! And what's going to happen in a couple of years when your kidney fails?!" Katelynn started to cry.
I frowned at this at first. Surely it should be me who gets upset since it's my body but it showed she cared about me. I reached to give her a hug but Coach called from inside the office and she ran outside. I wanted to go after her but I had to tell him the news.
"Coach I can't play. I want to but I can't. One of my kidney's is going to fail in a couple of years and I can't have the op to remove it due to a heart problem. But can we discuss this later I have another matter to sort at the moment."
He looked disappointed and shocked.
"Yes of course. Good luck with whatever it is Brendon. You would have been a great addition to the team."
I smiled at him, said a quick "Thank you" and ran out the door after Kate. I found her not far from the building sat under a tree. It was raining and from where I was stood she looked cold and miserable.
I took my hoodie off and ran over to her. Draping it over her shoulders I slumped down next to her and pulled her into a hug. She continued to sob into my shirt but at least she was warming up.
"It's just not fair! You should be able to play!" she sobbed.
"Yeah I know but I don't need to play. As long as I have you as a friend I'll be okay."
"But that's not good enough! You should have loads of friends! You should get the pick of any girls you want and this was going to help you get that. Now it's ruined."
I stroked her hair and looked towards the building. It was still raining and I smiled.
"But look I don't want my pick of the girls. I know exactly who I want. It's my crappy body and we will face it's problems as they come along. Look it's only my first day and I already have three best mates and two idiots to make me feel smart."
This made her laugh slightly and she lifted her head to look at me. I smiled down at her and then, realising what would make this day perfect for her, stood up and held out my hand.
She frowned at it and looked up at me.
"What's going off?"
"You wanted me to show you what my voice sounds like. Well it's time for that to happen. I have to perfect song. So come and dance!"
I took her hand and pulled her into the rain. She giggled slightly as I spun her around.
"Take a chance, take your shoes off, dance in the rain. I was splashing around and the news spread all over town!" I sung while skipping around, jumping in puddles and twirling her in the rain. She laughed as she jumped, twirling and skipped with me.
"I'm not complaining that it's raining I'm just saying that I'd like it alot, more than you think, if the sun would come out and sing with me!"
I did love the rain and that song was just perfect for the mood. I finished singing and dragged her inside after me in fits of giggles. All her previous sadness had gone and now she was back to grinning at me.
"You're amazing! What song was that?!" she asked wringing her hair out.
"I have friends in holy spaces. We haven't released any yet and that's just an idea I had. It's short but still I like it."
"Honestly Brendon it's awesome!! That'll be a hit." she said twirling around and humming the tune.
"Well rains there to be enjoyed." I stated honestly. It was one of my favourite weathers.
"Well thank you for sharing it with me." she said and very quickly pecked me on the lips.
I smiled at her and kissed her forehead. Suddenly the bell rang showing that period six had now ended and school was over. Grabbing my hand Katelynn ran down the hall to meet her friends.