New Perspective

New Perspective 15

The uniform was a black blazer, red and black tie, black trousers, white shirt and sensible shoes (as long as they were black) so I settled with high tops. They looked better anyway. If I was going to be made to wear it I was going to make it my own. We had bought everything I might need for my life here. It sucked if I was honest. The teachers always encourage us to be unique and yet here they were making us all like soldiers. All wearing the same thing and acting the same way.
I decided it was a good time to text the guys. It was before I had to leave for school and I had about 15 minutes of spare time. I opened my phone and stared at it blankly. Although I wanted to talk to them I didn’t really know what to say. I didn’t want to make it seem like I was happy here because in all honesty I wasn’t. The only good thing about this place was Katelynn.

Spencer,

It’s as bad as I thought it would be. Our neighbour Mr Anders is a complete and utter jerk. We hadn’t even been here for 3 hours before he was inside and making a move on my Mum. Then I found out his son was a jerk too. I met a girl though. Her name’s Katelynn. I really like her. She’s the only good thing here. Darren (the jerk) likes her. He threatened me. When have you known me to back down though.

Missing you guys already. I’ll be back soon. Then we’ll get the band together and we’ll be the biggest thing ever. Hope you are all well. I’ll ring ya later hopefully. This uniform looks ridiculous. See ya,

Brendon.

Since the internet wasn’t up and running yet I couldn’t e-mail them so I sent them a text. I didn’t have time to ring them otherwise I would have tried. They had the day off today anyway so they’d probably be rehearsing. I wanted to rehearse with them. I missed it terribly.
Thanks to all the nostalgia and the realisation that I was stuck here for months yet, long enough for them to find another singer, I went to school miserable. I was half way there when someone jumped on my back and covered my eyes. Taken by surprise I flipped them over my shoulder and onto the floor. Regaining my vision I looked to see who my attacker was only to find Katie on the floor laughing.
“Kate! Oh my God!! I’m so sorry!” I babbled, rushing up to her and bending down to pick her up.
“Haha it’s fine honest! I spend most of my time on the floor anyway.” she giggled.
I stopped and looked at her funny. She blushed once she had realised what she had said.
“I mean I fall over a lot. I’m not a slut. Anyway help me up Mr!” she said and stuck up her hand.
I grabbed it and pulled her up. She dusted herself down and we continued on our way. She grabbed my hand and smiled at me. I smiled back until I noticed Darren standing on the other side of the road waiting to cross. Katelynn noticed and shrugged before dragging me to school. We didn’t wait for Darren.
When we got to school all eyes were on us. I heard people whispering and already rumours were beginning to spread. We made our way to our form rooms and said a quick goodbye before I took an empty seat. The one beside me was taken by Darren. He looked angry.
“I warned you.” he snarled.
“Oh shut up. Look she doesn’t like you. Except that. Oh and tell your Dad to keep away from my Mum.” I said back yawning.
“My Dad can do whatever he wants. As for Kate she doesn’t know what she wants. She’s confused.”
“No she’s not! She knows perfectly well who she wants and you lost. As for your Dad either he stays away or I make him. I’m not scared of you Darren and I’m definitely not scared of your Dad.”
Just as Darren opened his mouth to answer back Mr Stephens jumped into the room. Literally. Jumped. He threw open the door, waited 5 seconds and then jumped straight in, arms wide and a big grin on his face. I liked this teacher. He was mental. I turned and stared at him as he pranced around the room giving out the newsletters before heading back to his desk to take the register.
“Amy Davies?” he continued.
“Yes sir.” she replied from somewhere in the room.
Darren turned to glare at me and beckoned me closer.
“You’re…” he began but got cut off by Mr Stephens talking slightly louder.
“Steven Jones?”
“Yes sir.”
“You’re going to…”
“Josh Mon- Josh! Stop it!”
Darren sighed in frustration.
“You’re going to regret this Brendon. Mark my words.”
I smiled at him smugly.
“I look forward to it.” I replied happily.
“Well you shouldn’t be!”
“Olivia Parkers?”
“Yes sir.”
“Well see.” I grinned.
“You’re-”
“Brendon Urie?”
“Yes sir!” I said loud enough for him to hear me.
When I looked back Darren was gone and there was a note on my desk. I opened it in curiosity and my eyes widened slightly at the content. Two words stood alone on the page.

You’re Dead.

I folded the paper and slipped it into my pocket making a mental note to inform Mrs Freia about what some of her students liked to say. But for now I had a girl to accompany to Math.
When it got to lunch time we took our previous spot on the picnic bench. We were seated how we were before and Nathan was glaring at me like usual. Darren seemed to be keeping his cool today. Probably had something to do with the fact he thought I was scared of him. I wasn’t and he’d find out sometime.
“So we still on for Saturday?” Becky asked Katelynn pulling me out of my train of thought.
“Oh yeah! Yeah we’ll meet about 10:30 then hike up to the Cliffside for our picnic. Mum says you lot can stay over after.” Katelynn replied excitedly looking at all of us. Including me.
I cocked my head to the right and frowned slightly.
“What’s happening Saturday?” I asked.
“Oh right you don’t know. I sometimes forget I’ve only known you for a day.” she said laughing.
“It’s cause your too much in loovvveeee!” Becky said dramatically.
“Shut up!” Katie said smacking her arm. “At least I have the nerve to go out with the person I like unlike you and Lucas!”
Becky blushed while Lucas just looked shocked. I burst out laughing and noticing Darren glaring at the fact she might love me I leaned down and kissed her on the cheek. She looked up at me and smiled.
“Were going to one of our favourite places. It’s a Cliffside quite close by. It has some beautiful views. Great to watch the sunset on. So we’re going for a picnic up there on Saturday then everyone’s coming to stay over at mine that night.” she explained.
I blinked and nodded taking it all in.
“You’re welcome to come.” she added.
“No he’s not!” Darren said quickly standing.
"Yes he is now sit down and shut up.” Becky said sharply.
“No. Why should I? He’s only been here one day. There’s no reason he should be invited to anything.” Darren started.
Becky stood up and grabbed the collar of his shirt dragging him into her face. She looked angry.
“Look child. I don’t care if you have a problem with Urie I like him, Katie obviously likes him more than a friend, so if she’s invited him he can come if he wants. Now get that into your one brain cell, sit down and shut up.”
He actually gulped. I was impressed. If I’m honest I didn’t think she had it in her. But I was happy she did. Darren snapped out of it quickly growled in fury and stormed away. Nathan quickly followed like a little lap dog afraid of annoying it’s master.
“Well looks like that’s a no.” Kate stated staring after him frowning.
“No he’ll still turn up to make sure you and Brendon don’t do anything he wouldn’t like.” Becky said sighing.
“Still though Becks high five for being a vicious little monster!” I said and stretched out my hand.
She high fived me and we continued to talk about this weekends upcoming events. I was so excited. It sounded like an amazing place and it was my first trip out in sunny Phoenix. Maybe moving here wasn’t a bad thing after all.