New Perspective

New Perspective 19

Brendon's POV.
I wont bore you with the details of how we got to the hospital and all the tests they run. I wont tell you about the Police interview. I wont tell you how long it took to get in contact with everyone who needed to know.
What I will tell you is that Katelynn is alive. She didn't die. But she's close to it. She broke ribs, she broke her back in three places, both her legs are shattered along with her arms. The only thing mostly in tact is her head. But apparently she wont live.
Nathan didn't make it. The only reason she did is because she landed on him slightly when they hit so she was protected a bit. But this wasn't a time for joking or hope. This was a time to face the facts. As soon as Nathan hit the ground his neck was snapped and he was killed. Seeing the pain Katelynn was in made me wish she had had that death. You may say its awful to think like that but if you could see how she is you would understand.
We had been in this hospital for three days. My guys had flown out as soon as they heard. They knew I needed them so they came. I haven't left the seat next to her since she's come in. I couldn't. I knew when I left she'd die. I'd miss it. So I didn't move. The nurses brought me food. They understood.
The door opened and my guys walked in. Ryan was carrying new flowers (there must have been like 5 bunches), Jon was carrying as many balloons as he could and Spencer was carrying DVD's and games for the Xbox. When she was awake she liked to play. Spencer was still trying to beat her on COD. Ryan was trying, and failing, to keep his title on Halo. We made her as comfortable as possible and so far she was happy.
"You're going down Spencybaby." she said grabbing the controller.
"Oh I doubt that love. I'll get you someday." he chuckled and laid down next to her on the bed.
I laid my head back in the chair and shut my eyes. This was the time I could relax. The time I could rest knowing nothing was going to happen to her.
"Oh no fair!!! You got the drop on me!" Spencer yelled.
I opened one eye and checked the screen. Spencer was dead. Again. I looked over to them and Katie was grinning. Funny thing is Spencer wasn't going easy on her. He wasn't crap at it either. So that meant she was very good.
"Bren? Could you come and help me get these flowers some water?" Ryan asked.
I nodded and stood, grabbing two of the vases from him and wandering out the door.
When we reached the bathroom we were in silence. A feeling of morbidity was flowing through the room. It was awkward and tense to say the least.
"How long do the Doctors give her?" Ryan asked finally breaking the silence.
I looked at him and frowned.
"She wasn't supposed to last the day. Anytime she has now is bought. For all I know she could be dead by tomorrow." I muttered filling another vase.
"Don't talk like that mate. She'll pull through."
"No she wont. It's my fault. I provoked Darren. He snapped. It's my fault she's dying."
I felt a hand touch my shoulder and I grabbed the two vases ready to go. Catching the signal Ryan grabbed the other three and we made our way back. When I walked in I found Katie asleep on Spencers shoulder. He was stroking her hair and when he noticed me looking he nodded. I smiled at him. I was glad my friends had this relationship with her. Shame they couldn't meet her before though.
"Hey guys how's it hanging!" Becky said loudly bursting into the room.
"Shhhh!" Jon said quickly and we all froze whilewe watched Kate stir. She didn't wake and we all exhaled.
"How long has she been out?" Lucas asked taking the seat next to the bed.
"About 5 minutes. She fell asleep while we were playing COD." Spencer explained.
"I'm guessing you were losing?" Becky said sticking her tongue out.
"Doesn't he always?" Jon said giggling.
"Oh shush!" Spencer defended.
Darren hadn't come to visit. Her Mum was due back in about 10 minutes. Now was our time. The nurses didn't make me leave. Our friends, on the other hand, had to leave at 8. We had an hour.
I saw movement out the corner of my eye and Kate moved slightly. I thought she was waking up but all ofa sudden her monitors went off and she started fitting. I rushed to her side, Spencer tried to hold her down, Jon grabbed her legs and Ryan ran to find a nurse. She was crashing. Not a good sign.
When she finally stabalised it was only me, Becky and Lucas left. Well apart from her Mum who was currently in the room with her talking to the Doctor. I had my head in my hands and Lucas and Becky were looking morbid. It's understandable though.
The room door opened and her Mum walked out. She looked at me and smiled weakly.
"She wants to talk to you. All of you. I'll wait out here."
"Okay thank you." I said and stood.
Followed by Becky and Lucas I made my way into the room. The Doctor quickly left and I laid on the bed beside her. Lucas and Becky sat on the side. We all looked at her. She looked weak but still tried to smile for us.
"Hello." she whispered.
"You don't have to speak." I quickly replied but she just shot me a look.
"Shush you. I have something to tell you all. I'm not going to make it tonight." she said and looked at us all.
"Don't say that! You will Katie. You have too!!" Becky wailed.
"Ha ha. No I'm afraid I've lived my life. I couldn't have asked for a better few days. But I would like you all to do something for me?"
"Anything." we all said in union.
"First Lucas. I want you to ask Becky out. You two have liked each other for god knows how long. It's about time you two went out."
"Okay. Will do." Lucas laughed and grabbed Becky's hand. She looked up at him and smiled.
"Becky I need you to look after Brendon for me. While he's here that is. I also want you to stop worrying about everyone else for a little while and take a day off. You're getting worry lines dear."
I turned my head to look at the door. Her voice was getting quieter. I couldn't stand it.
"Finally. Brendon? Look at me honey."
I did as she asked. All the life was gone from her eyes.
"I want you to go live your life. Don't spend it being sad for me. You have to go. You have to make something of yourself. For me."
"Come with me?" I pleaded.
"I can't. Not on this trip." she laughed slightly.
"Please." I said barely above a whisper.
"No. I can already feel my heart slowing. I haven't got long. Will you two please go and get the others?" she asked looking at Becky and Lucas. They nodded and left.
"I need to tell you something." she said turning to me.
"Anything."
"I love you. I have done from the first timeI saw you. I love you Brendon Urie and I'm sorry we couldn't be together longer."
"I love you too. Please don't leave."
"Sing me a song?"
I sighed and racked my brain for a suitable song. I settled on one I called always and shut my eyes.
"When the world gets to heavy, put it on my back, I'll be your levee." when I opened my eyes her were shut and she was smiling so I carried on.
"You're taking me apart like bad glue on a get well card. It was always you, falling for me, now there's always time, calling for me. I'm the light blinking at the end of the road. Blink back to let me know." I sung stroking her head.
"Blink back to let me know." I finished. As I finished her heart monitor flatlined. She died smiling.
I'd like to say that she stabalised again, that they brought her back and she made a full recovery but she didn't. The funeral was what she would have wanted. We played games, sung on singstar and we all had to smile and not cry all the time.
I'd like to say she will never be forgotten by many but a lot of people at school probably forgot her within a month if that. Not us though. We remembered. Always.