New Perspective

New Perspective 7

"Hey Miss. This is Brendon. He's new. Brendon this is Mrs Drew. She's our Biology teacher." Katelynn explained waving in her direction.
"Hi." I said awkwardly. I hated meeting new people.
"Good morning Mr..." Mrs Drew began.
"Urie." I finished for her.
"Urie. Find a seat anywhere and sit down. You'll like this class I'm sure."
I looked around and suddenly felt myself being dragged towards a seat next to the glaring boy. I looked down at my hand which was being gripped by another and following that arm up I found Katelynn. She looked at me and smiled.
"Come on Mr! You're sitting with me!"
I followed, partially because I didn't have a choice, and noticed that we were getting closer and closer to the boy. He looked down at my hand in Kate's and frowned even more.
"Darren!!! This is Brendon. He's going to be our new mate." Katelynn said happily. It was like she was never sad.
"Katie what are you doing?" he said still glaring although it soften slightly when she was around.
"I'm befriending the new kid. Anyway he's sitting with us. Brendon this is Darren. He's one of my oldest mates."
She plonked herself down in a chair beside him and patted the one beside her. I took it reluctantly and looked at Darren.
"You're in my form." I said quietly.
"Really?! That's great! Well then Darren since I'm not in your form you have to look after him for me! You'll love it here. People will stop looking at you funny in a couple of days." she explained.
"Great... I get stuck with the loser kid! Could my life get any better?" Darren said, sarcasm layering his voice.
"Darren!" Katelynn looked at him with disgust. "Don't be like that! You will treat him how you would treat me. I am not having that kind of attitude."
"It's fine. I'll make my way around." I said. I really didn't want to be stuck with that boy.
Kate turned to look at me, her back to Darren who just glared at me.
"Ignore him. He's not usually like this. He'll get used to you. So what's your next lesson?"
"Math. A2?"
She grinned, again, and grabbed my hand.
"Me too! Wow this should be more fun than I expected. Easier to look after you too."
I quickly glanced at Darren who's gaze had moved down to our hands again. She meant nothing by it. Just being friendly but he didn't like it. Not one bit. It made me slightly happy so I squeezed her hand and smiled at her.
"Good. Gives me sometime to get to know something about you then."
"Right class take out your books and turn to page 50. Brendon you will have to share with Kate until I find you a book." Mrs Drew said from the front.
* * *
After class had finished me, Kate and Darren all made our way to Math. Apparently he was in that lesson too. Yay.... As we walked Darren put his arm around Katelynn's shoulders but it wasn't long until she shrugged it off. Maybe there was something going on between them afterall.
We reached Maths and Kate introduced me to the teacher before again dragging me off to some nearby seat. Apparently the girl who used to sit next to her in almost all her lessons has recently moved schools so there was always a free space.
The next few lessons went by quickly and I was only in one without Katelynn, P.E, but I got on fine there. I wasn't all too good at some sports. But we were running so it wasn't too bad this time.
Darren was running ahead of most of us with another boy. This boy had blonde/brown hair with blue eyes and glasses. He didn't seem like the kind of person that should have been hanging around with Darren but in saying that neither did Katie.
After P.E I walked out of the changing rooms to find Katie leaning against the wall outside. At first I was skeptical as to why she was here. She could be here for Darren but as soon as she saw me she smiled and walked over, looping her arm through mine.
"So who are you eating lunch with?" she asked already knowing the answer.
"Myself?" I asked. I knew she wouldn't let me.
"And that is the wrong answer! Time for you to meet my gang I think. Come on! I'll show you where it is."