Victory Dance

What's the meaning of this? Looks real pervy!

I heard whispering. No, not whispering. It only seemed like whispering because my pillow was on my head. I rolled onto my side, pulling my legs up to my chest, and yanked the lush pillow off my head. Then, feeling cramped up, I moved onto my back and stretched out.

The whispering was clear now. It was whispering. I rubbed my sore eyes and then looked to the right of the bed, towards the doorway.

Alex was there, and as always, his small video camera was in his hand.

“Oh, Alex, no,” I protested weakly. Why was I so tired? How late had we stayed up the night before? “Not in the morning. I look like rubbish.”

“Please?”

I pulled the duvet up over my head. “No. Never. Leave.”

I moved up a little when he sat down on the corner of the bed. I pulled the duvet down just past my nose. The camera wasn’t in his hand. I surveyed the room; it was perched up on top of the TV, pointing at us.

“What’s the meaning of this? Looks real pervy!”

He chuckled. “No! I have to say something.”

“Well, for the love of God, Alex, say it. I love you, but it’s early for a chat.”

He yanked the duvet down and grabbed my hands. I sat up, and he looked at me really seriously. I was tired, but I could tell something was up.

“You know I love you,” he said. I sat up a little straighter as he smiled. I took one hand out of his and put it on the back of his neck. “I really, I mean really love you. You’re funny and you like my music and you wear the best outfits and when you laugh at me, it’s better than when anyone else… pretty much does anything. I know we’re sort of young and people aren’t going to be excited about it, but I’m excited about it, so marry me.”

No upward inflection; I wasn’t really sure if he was even asking. It took me a second. I blinked really hard. The room spun around.

“Are you asking me to marry you, Mr. Day?”

He kissed me. “Yes.”

“Yes! Yes, yes, yes, yes, a billion thousand hundered million times yes!”

He jumped up instantly and, as I had never seen him do before, he began to dance about the room wildly, throwing his fists in the air every few seconds, as if to celebrate my answer. He then dove on the bed and just hugged me. Hugged me tight for a long time. My heart was beating fast and my head was spinning faster and faster every second.

“Alex,” I whispered, and he sat up.

“Yes?”

“You’re going to put this on Youtube, aren’t you?”

He threw his head back and laughed. “Definitely. I definitely am.”

“Even the little jig you did?”

He kissed me. “A victory dance.”