Status: Rated PG-13 for Violence, Innuendo and Blasphemous Plot

The Wayward Son

A Saviour's Fate

Taylor didn’t sleep that night. She spent the few hours after Remy recovered lying to him. Telling him about a life that never existed. And thanks to the angels’ last gift to their ally, it all worked out. Showing Remy an ID that read ‘Remiel Angelo Grigori’ and a student ID for her school reading the same, Taylor lied through her teeth about how he was a senior at her school and that he was planning on going to med school to save lives.

Every word false, but Remy drank it in like an elixir. He had no reason to doubt who he thought to be his girlfriend. He had no reason to question who he was. He was a human. Taylor knew better though and she couldn’t get rest because of it. Yesterday, she had an angel in her apartment save another angel from death, but when all was done, she was left with a boyfriend with no memory.

Unsure of what else to do, Taylor prayed. She wasn’t religious. Before Remy, she didn’t believe in god, but now she knew and she needed to pray. “Someone. Anyone. God. Ariel. Whatever other angels are watching Remy. Tell me what I should do. I need help,” Taylor whispered as she knelt in her small living room.

“First off. Get up,” a voice Taylor recognized said from the bar. Looking up, she saw the angel who came to get Remy a few weeks ago. The exact same way too. Long flowing black hair slightly hung over a white dress. Piercing, yet beautiful silver eyes matched by dark, glowing skin. And wings folded into her back, each one shining either black or white as they moved.

Taylor stood up and stared in awe at the angel. She probably would never get used to these beings visiting her apartment. “I don’t remember your name. Sorry,” Taylor admitted, only to have the angel smile at her.

“It’s Sari,” Sariel told Taylor. “I am…” Sari faltered, “was Remy’s closest friend. We were created around the same time.”

“I’m Taylor.”

“Yes. We know.”

“We?” Taylor questioned.

Taylor got an answer. A flash of light erupted around her and when it faded, three more angels were standing in her living room. First she saw Ariel among them, smiling her brilliant smile. The other two, Taylor didn’t know. One was a tall angel, cloaked entirely by a single light brown robe. His face was hidden behind shadows, but his eyes glowed a light purple as he eyed Taylor. Behind him was a pair of large brown wings, each one resting on shoulder blades.

The last angel was different from all the others. He looked about as young as Remy did and wore a dark gold suit, synched nicely with his long blonde hair and green eyes. His wings had just begun to curl back in when Taylor cut a glance of them. Each one illuminated gold.

Taylor then noticed something about the angels. Each one she had seen had different colored wings. Not single duplicate. Ariel and Remy were close, but Ariel’s were more pure, where as the feather Taylor had of Remiel’s wings had touches of grey. Taylor promised herself then and there that she would one day figure out the real purpose behind their wings. There had to be something more than just looks.

“Hello again, Taylor,” Ariel greeted.

“Hi,” Taylor waved for some reason. She really didn’t know what to do.

Ariel patted the golden winged angel’s shoulder and said, “This is Gabriel, leader of the Arcs, and that there,” Ariel continued, pointing to the taller angel, “is Azrael, the Angel of Death and Remiel’s teacher.”

“Nice to meet you.”

Neither of the angels looked too friendly. Azrael turned from Taylor’s sight and walked down the hall to where Remy was sleeping. Gabriel walked in the same direction, but stopped at the edge, only going there to keep an eye on Azrael.

After a minute of uncomfortable silence, Taylor spoke up again, “So why are you all here?” Each of the angels gave Taylor a look and she quickly continued, “Not that I don’t enjoy the company, but this is a small apartment and I don’t think you want to wake up Remy.”

“That is what Azrael is taking care of,” Gabriel explained, his eyes watching her bedroom intently.

Another moment later, Gabriel backed away from the hallway and let Azrael rejoin them all in the already cramped room. “He will not wake,” Azrael said once he was in.

“Good,” Gabriel stated and then reached into his coat. Taylor watched intently, letting her mind wander to the possibilities of what was in there. A halo. A crown. Maybe a sword or something. Her joy dropped slightly when all he revealed was a large brown book, which she couldn’t understand how it fit in there. “Here. You will be interested in this,” Gabriel said as he handed Taylor the book.

Taylor took the book gently. It looked old, heavy and it’s leather was cracked slightly in a few places. On the cover was a single symbol, like a hieroglyph or rune. After examining it thoroughly, Taylor asked, “What is it? A bible?”

Ariel chuckled and opened the book’s cover in Taylor’s hand. On the front page was the same symbol as the cover with another series of the same markings under it. Ariel touched a finger to the paragraph under the symbol and read, “Here tells of the journeys, exploits, life and trials of Remiel. Grigori of the thirteenth Legion. Slayer of the crimson beast, Sammael. Guardian of Innocents. Protector of the Meek. Son of Light. Wielder of Darkness. Student of Death.”

As Ariel read, the unreadable symbols shifted before Taylor’s very eyes into English. The words melded around each other until she was able to see it all. The one thing that stuck out the most though was the symbol at the top, which now simply read ‘Remiel’.

Taylor was speechless. If this really was what she thought it was, she would get every answer she wanted to ask Remy, even though he lost his memory.

“It is Remy’s biography,” Sari said, breaking into Taylor’s thoughts. “It will tell you everything you want to know about him and probably some things you didn’t even think of asking.”

Taylor was astounded. “Why give it to me? What if he finds it?” Taylor questioned.

“He can’t,” Gabriel spoke up. “It is a gift and must be given. I received it from the chronicler and I have given it to you. After we leave, you will be the only one capable of seeing it.”

Ariel closed the book and hesitated to take her hand from it. Taylor could tell how close she was to Remy. Touching Taylor’s cheek, Ariel said, “This book was blessed by the hierarch of all the Legions. Endowed with all the angels’ power. If ever you see fit to return Remiel to his angelic state, give him this book.”

Taylor almost fell with that news. “Why don’t you just do that? Make him an angel again?”

“Because…” Ariel faltered.

“Because it is not our place,” Azrael picked it up and stepped close to Taylor. His presence was threatening and forceful. Both scaring and calming Taylor. “Remiel has chosen humanity and therefore, we cannot interfere. His free will is his to control.”

“But why should I..” Taylor started.

Gabriel cut her off this time though, “It is your calling. It is why we sent Remiel to you.”

Azrael sighed and stepped back, “Why I sent him to you. I was told long ago that my student’s destiny would be chosen by a human, pure of heart and of body. You have not known Remiel for even a month, but all you want is what’s best for him. It is why you were attacked by demons. Why Remiel guarded you. You were and are meant to decide his fate. The fate of one of our greatest champions.”

Taylor again was speechless. This was too much. But who was she to deny it. These were angels telling her her destiny. “Okay,” Taylor said. It was all her tongue could form.

Ariel smiled and hugged her, “Take of him, dear. Please.”

“I’ll do my best,” Taylor said, returning the hug.

“I know you will.”

Ariel backed away and walked into the bedroom where Remy was sleeping. After a second, a light flashed from that direction. Ariel had said her goodbyes. Watching the light dissipate, Gabriel sighed and then turned to Taylor and said, “Remember. Someone is always watching.”

With that, he did the same as Ariel and left. Azrael didn’t have any words for Taylor, but did give her a threatening stare only the Angel of Death could give. With his work done, he turned down the hall and left the apartment.

Taylor looked to where Sariel was sitting and found that she was gone. Slowly, Taylor walked to her room, but stopped when she saw Sari kneeling at Remy’s side, his hand in hers. Not wanting to disrupt her, Taylor turned away and set the book down on the bar. Taylor was curious, so she opened the book and stroked her hand across Remy’s name on the first page. She began to reread the paragraph below and only stopped when a blast of light erupted from her room.

Wiping a lone tear from her cheek, Taylor turned the page and began to read, ‘During the first sunrise after the flood, a light broke out amongst the darkness. Brighter than any ever seen before, the Maker knew this light would have a great destiny and would make choices no other could bear. Taking this light in his hands, the Maker named it Remiel and called him son….’
♠ ♠ ♠
Bam. Cliffhanger. Don't you just love those. Comments. Keep em coming. I love em. Next chapter soon.