Status: :)

All That Glitters

pretend.

John was so excited to go to school that day, he woke up before his alarm and sat up in bed. It was one of those days where getting ready didn’t seem like a chore, but a build up for the day. John ruffled his hair and put on a flannel button down shirt over his straight legged jeans, trying to look nicer than his average self. He was excited for the simple fact that he was living his dream; the dream John had had since he was twelve-years-old and saw Braylen Huntington sitting across the classroom from him.

There were a lot of things John would never admit to her, the things he had done with other girls that he used like playthings. The hearts he had broken simply because he forced himself not to care about others, because he wanted an end game. He wanted the popularity that would elevate him to Braylen’s level. Not because he was desperately in love with her, but because there was a glamour surrounding that popular group, as if high school wasn’t a living hell for them. Nothing bad happened to them either.

“Honey, why are you in such a good mood today,” His mother asked with a fond smile on her lips, she adored her son just like she adored all her children, but John had a charm about him that she could never seem to get mad at.

“Nothing,” John smiled and kissed his mother before grabbing a gatorade with a bagel and running out the door. John took a bite of the bagel before hopping into his White Explorer and turning the ignition just as his best friend hopped into the front seat with him. “‘Sup Jared?” John laughed using his free hand to give him a high-five.

“It’s too early for anything to be up, so I heard a crazy rumor that you and Braylen are dating?” Jared asked with a skeptical look on his face, he pulled the seat belt over his chest and secured it before leaning back. The silence was more of an answer itself, “John, please don’t fuck her and break her heart, she’s my girlfriend’s best friend and cousin and it’ll really fuck things up…”

“We’re not dating, I’m just doing her reputation a favor. Plus, I already fucked her, she’s a cool girl and I like her, I’m not just gonna fuck all that up. I feel like I get stuck with the reputation that I’m a player and then that’s all anyone ever expects from me,” John ranted, clearly irritated, as he drove the route to school that he knew better than the back of his hand.

“Jeez, I’m sorry for bringing it up. It’s not like I expect it from you, it’s just me protecting my relationship with the girl I love. Don’t take it personally dude,” Jared laughed it off as John pulled into a parking spot, he looked up and saw Braylen walking across the parking lot, with the breeze lightly flowing through her hair and a giant smile on her face. He kept waiting to feel like that, like a scene from a movie; a kid with no problems or no self-doubt.

“I don’t take it personally,” John shrugged. No one would know that he was feeling depressed half the time. That his parents were arguing endlessly and sometimes he wished he could be anywhere but home. Maybe popularity meant you could hide behind a curtain, but behind that curtain you were still the same lonely person. “Braylen!” John called out trying to shake off the feeling.

“Oh hey,” Braylen turned and flashed him her perfect smile, she brushed Caitlin on the arm. “It’s John and Jared, what’s up y’all?” Braylen asked as more and more students began to flood the parking lot. John felt his heart slamming against his chest and his stomach tying in knots just by being around her. He wasn’t sure if this was salvation, but to his eyes it certainly seemed to be.

“Nothing, are you ready for some equations?!” John spoke with a legitimate excitement masked as sarcasm, it was worth it as he heard her melodic laugh. Her small hand brushed his shoulder in passing. John wanted to blurt out that he loved everything about her, but with some self-control he bit his tongue and followed her into the classroom. Everyone muttered as John walked in on time for once, he mentally cursed them all before saying hello to people he knew. The thing about people assuming you were a failure is that eventually you begin to believe it yourself, the only thing John believed he was good at was acting normal.

“You seem different today,” Braylen smiled with narrowed eyes at him, she studied his face and bit her lip as he did the same thing, mocking her. “Never mind if you’re just gonna make fun of me,” Braylen pouted, crossing her arms and turning towards the window. He studied her face, maybe it was just a glimmer of sadness that flashed in her eyes, but he caught it.

“Bray, are you going to Winter Formal tomorrow?” John whispered, hovered over the edge of his desk so that she could hear them, without getting the attention of Mrs. Allen, whom had started the lesson. He felt as if he might vomit, even if she had admitted that she liked him, he still felt as though she was so far above him and he was waiting for her to realize it.

“Uh, I don’t know. Caitlin is trying to make me go, uh, I don’t know,” Braylen whispered back, shifting awkwardly in her seat and bit her lip. She looked over to John and checked if Mrs. Allen had noticed them talking, “what about you?”

“Well, I.. was wondering…” John began before Mrs. Allen interrupted him, clearing her throat with her arms crossed.

“Mr. O’Callaghan, this will be the last warning for the day. Please shut up and pay attention,” Mrs. Allen stated bluntly earning a few laughs from students at John’s expense. He faked a smug smile and nodded his head in the affirmative. “Okay, so once you have plugged in the cosign, what is the next step?” She turned back to the lesson, and chalk started scraping against the blackboard. John waited for five minutes, his mind racing about what he was about to do. He bit his lip and glanced over towards Braylen again, he watched her take notes and tuck a piece of hair that had fallen into her face back into place.

He finally inhaled sharply and turned to Braylen and whispered her name until he had captured her attention. “Do you wanna… maybe… wanna go to Winter Formal with me?” He rushed out and heard a few people snickering as he turned to see Mrs. Allen staring at him with impatient eyes and the rest of the class staring at him. His face immediately turned red with embarrassment, hoping that he wouldn’t get turned down in front of the whole class.

Braylen’s eyes were wide as she turned to face Mrs. Allen, not wanting to get in trouble as well. Braylen was surprised when Mrs. Allen had a small smile on her lips, “Well, answer the man…” Mrs. Allen stated expectantly.

“Um, yes. I’ll go with you,” Braylen said quietly, feeling as if this had ruined the whole scenario. Her cheeks flushed a light pink and covered her smile with her hand as a couple of people cheered John on. She crossed her legs and looked up to Mrs. Allen who’s face had returned to its previous seriousness.

“Okay, now that that’s over with, everyone needs to return their attention to the lesson! That includes you two, too!” Mrs. Allen said sternly, a small smile still on her lips. John leaned back on his chair and felt his heart pace return to normal with relief, he didn’t even care about the rest of his school day. He was on cloud nine.

Image


Braylen teased the hair at the crown of her head to give her big curls more volume before piling on more hairspray. She finally placed a headband with small gold flowers on her head and brushed the front part of her hair out to hide it more. She stood in a strapless black lace bra and matching hipster boy shorts as she took once more look at herself. Already wearing her black heels she slipped into the lavender floor length gown and zipped up the side.

She had to calm herself down after checking her makeup, the cat eyed black liner accentuating her eyes and bronzer and blush making her cheekbones stand out. She had a nude lipgloss on her lips that smelled like sugar and she tried not to lick it all off before pictures. Caitlin walked in short blush colored dress with heeled booties on, Braylen raised her eyebrow. Winter Formal was notoriously a floor-length dress event and most girls wore regular pumps.

“Yeah, yeah, I don’t look like I’m going to Winter Formal, ask me how many fucks I give! Ask!” Caitlin laughed as she widened her arms and puffing out her chest like a bro looking for a fight. Braylen leaned against the bathroom counter and touched small diamonds that had been clipped into Caitlin’s blonde hair she smiled.

“You look pretty and unique,” Braylen smiled kindly, trying to mask her nerves. Caitlin checked her black nails and bright red lips juxtaposing her light dress and pearls. Both girls put finishing touches on their hair and outfits, staring at themselves in the mirror until their names were called from downstairs. “God, boys are so impatient,” Braylen chuckled after grabbing both of their clutches and making their way down the stairs. The girls were no strangers to heels, so they gracefully came down to where their dates were waiting with both of their fathers.

John stared at Braylen with his jaw on the floor, standing next to his parents while their fathers talked intermittently. She blushed, noting how good he looked in a black suit with a black tie. She smiled as John’s lips moved but no words formed, he finally just said, “hey.”

“Hi,” Braylen shyly responded before her father cleared his throat.

“You look beautiful darlin’, a spittin’ image of your momma,” He smiled fondly, giving her a tight hug, still several inches taller than her. He looked over at John and his smile dropped, “These are the rules Johnny: no drinking and driving, if my girl gets hurt your ass is mine and finally, you make sure she has a good time tonight, alrighty?” He extended his hand and John meekly shook it. Braylen was sure her father would’ve been more threatening had John not been the son of his friend and business partner.

“Uh, yes sir,” John spoke nervously as Mrs. O’Callaghan started begging for pictures. After numerous pictures, Braylen felt her cheeks cramp up and she finally broke down laughing and massaging her cheeks, while everyone laughed at her expense.

“Guys, we better get going,” Jared cleared his throat before shaking Caitlin’s father’s hand and hugging her mother. Despite being her boyfriend for such a long time, Jared just couldn’t make Red Huntington like him. Maybe because Caitlin was his only child and she was his little girl, but Braylen thought it was hilarious to watch.

“Alright, you kids have a nice time!” Mrs. Huntington smiled with a big smile on her face and a hand around her husband’s waist. Both of the Huntington brothers looked as if they were awaiting a root canal. Braylen turned and blew a kiss to her father, something she had always done ever since she was young. He smiled with tears in his eyes and Braylen wanted to say something, but instead she was pulled away by Caitlin.

“Damn, I am so fucking stoked,” Jared smirked as John climbed into the driver’s seat. Braylen sat in the passenger seat and turned to see Jared pull out a small bottle of Captain Morgan Rum from his coat pocket. He took a swig of it before passing it to Caitlin who followed suit. She passed it to Braylen, but she hesitated, not wanting to get drunk when John couldn’t, but after he gave her a reassuring smile she took a giant gulp of the amber liquid.

She felt the burn as it went down her throat, and winced before passing it back to Jared. Since the boys were usually searched before they walked in Caitlin look the bottle and slipped in the bodice of her dress. Braylen felt like it was stupid, wondering if it was worth getting caught just to get a buzz going. John parked the car and looked back to make sure everyone was ready. Caitlin and Jared walked ahead and entered the hotel lobby, but John grabbed Braylen’s hand keeping her behind.

“I just couldn’t go without saying that you look amazing,” John spoke with his eyes on the ground, until he finished and saw Braylen smirking back at him. She felt her stomach flutter and pressed her lips to his gently. “Okay, we should definitely get in there!” John smiled, still holding her hand and leading her into the hotel. Braylen smiled brightly as she began to see familiar faces and people commenting on how cute of a couple they were.

“Isn’t it weird how people never comment on us individually anymore, it’s always just- you guys are a cute couple. I think I look fine as hell, but no one said anything,” Braylen sarcastically uttered, moving closer to his ear intimately.

“What?! I just told you you look amazing,” John laughed, pointing towards the parking lot as McIver stood with a breathalyzer sternly with his arms crossed looking miserable. Braylen frowned before subjecting her purse to be searched in the girl line as boys lined up to be pat down. McIver moseyed up to John and pulled him aside which Braylen thought was hilarious, she waited for him in the hallway past the entrance and watched McIver’s dismay at the fact the breathalyzer turned up negative.

“You would get patted down and have to test your alcohol level. If we were in The Breakfast Club, you’d be the criminal and I’d be the princess, which totally works because they end up together,” Braylen joked as she wigged her eyebrows suggestively, once he had caught up to her.

“Okay, I am not a criminal, I just have authority issues,” John countered.

“Yeah, yeah, don’t get all worked up over nothing,” Braylen rolled her eyes before they caught up with Jared and Sterling, she frowned looking around for Caitlin until Jared explained that she went to the bathroom to retrieve the flask. She gave Sterling a hug hello, “Damn Sterling, you look like James Bond! Where’s your date?” Braylen asked scanning the room for whoever he brought.

“I came stag, I will be trolling the line of lonely girls looking longingly at the dance floor wishing someone would come up to them and ask them to dance and then BAM! I’ll be there,” Sterling explained, sounding suave and looking around for a hot lonely girl.

“You couldn’t get date, could you?” Braylen asked, narrowing her eyes at him.

“I just forgot! I tried asking a couple of people yesterday but they all had dates! But fuck it, because I’m not gonna miss the last winter formal of our senior year!” Sterling admitted begrudgingly. He brushed off his shoulders and pepped himself up, “but whatever, I will shall not leave alone! If that means I have to swipe a date then so be it! By the way, Braylen, did I mention you look ravishing?” Sterling closed in on her before John stepped in.

“Whoa, swiper no swiping,” John narrowed his eyes before receiving shit for quoting Dora the Explorer. Braylen looked fondly at him, for some reason the fact that John was defensive made her like him more. Caitlin came out of the bathroom holding on to her clutch with drunken rosy cheeks.

“So I drank a little more in the bathroom, but it’s in my clutch now. Go get drinks to mix it with,” Caitlin slurred in a whisper, but loud enough that everyone could hear her. A junior named Mary came up to Braylen and Sterling’s interest was immediately peaked. Braylen introduced the two before excusing herself and grabbing a cup of pineapple juice before returning to Caitlin who stealthily poured some rum into her drink.

By the end of the night, Caitlin could barely stand up straight and Braylen was close behind her. Both of them had danced with their dates until the room started emptying. John and Braylen excused themselves from the group and went outside to get some fresh air. Braylen spotted McIver and the breathalyzer, she quickly straightened up and acted as sober as she could.

“You two have a good night and stay out of trouble,” Mr. McIver called out after them, Braylen held in a burst of laughter as she smiled and waved, afraid to speak and sound obviously drunk. Once they were outside, both of them broke out into laughter, she rested her head on John’s chest. She looked up at him and he gave her a crooked smile before bending down and planting a kiss on her lips.

All Braylen knew was that this didn’t feel like pretend anymore.
♠ ♠ ♠
Braylen & Caitlin.
thank you to punkurself, somebody_who_cares & daisylove for commenting!
I reallllllyyy appreciate it, I also appreciate everyone who's reading this story. I also just posted another story here check it out if you like, if not that's cool too :)
have a lovely day!