Status: :)

All That Glitters

eighteen.

“Happy Birthday, oh my gosh! You guys need to wake up now!” Caitlin shrieked seeing Braylen wrapped tightly in John’s arms, both of them fast asleep. Braylen opened one eye and lifted her head sleepily. “Seriously, John, go hide in my closet. Bray, our dads are coming up the stairs right now!” Caitlin began slapping John until he seemed to realize what she was saying and jumped up.

“Holy shit, Braylen, your dad is going to kill me then tell my dad, then my dad is going to kill me again!” John whispered loudly in a panicked voice, running around in circles and running his fingers through his hair. Braylen also hopped out of bed, her mind still slow from just awakening.

“John, you dumb asshole, here,” Caitlin said with an alarmed voice, quickly rushing him into her walk-in closet and slamming the door just as there was a light knocking on Braylen’s. Caitlin ran back into the room and hugged her cousin tightly as the door opened, “Happy Birthday, Braylen! I love you so much!”

Braylen smiled over as she looked over Caitlin’s shoulders to see her father and uncle smiling fondly at their daughters smiling. Braylen’s father was already holding a medium sized box in front of him that was wrapped in the funnies. She smiled curiously, “Hi Red, Hi Daddy,” She said in her sweetest, most innocent voice.

“Happy birthday, Bray,” Her Uncle Red kissed her forehead and hugged her before stepping out of the way so her father could hug her.

“Thank you, Red,” Braylen smiled politely, trying not to make it too obvious that she was burning with curiosity about the box. She knew it wasn’t from her father because he got things gift-wrapped at the store or had her mother do it, and Elaine Huntington would never have considered that acceptable.

“Happy birthday, baby girl! This is from Ethan, he wanted me to make sure you got his present first,” Mr. Huntington beamed brightly after hugging his daughter tightly. He passed her the poorly wrapped box and Braylen sat on her bed, carefully unwrapping each layer of paper until there was a box with a pair of brown cowboy boots and a note inside: “Bray, Happy 18th! I miss you and I love you, these are so you don’t forget where you’re from when you get to where you’re going. Love, Ethan.” Braylen’s eyes began to water with happiness and sadness. She missed her brother, but she felt so blessed that he was her brother.

“I’ll call him to thank him and thank you, Daddy!” Braylen wiped a stray tear from her eye before it fell down her cheek as she hugged him again.

“All right, well we’ll let you girls get ready. Got a big day planned,” Mr. Huntington smiled as the two men left the room. Caitlin and Braylen faked giant smiles until the door was safely closed before running to Caitlin’s closet and seeing John sitting on the ground, looking around with frightened eyes.

“Today’s your birthday?” He asked, with a crooked smile on his lips. Braylen smirked slightly before nodding her head. Caitlin rolled her eyes and pulled John up from the ground and turned to face Braylen.

“How are we supposed to get him out of here?” Caitlin asked, with her voice lowered because there were still people downstairs. Braylen bit her lip thinking until she glanced out towards the balcony they shared, seeing the tall oak tree that shaded it and her eyes met with Caitlin. As if they both had the same idea.

“John, are you good at climbing?” She smirked. John’s eyes widened with uncertainty. Both girls led him out to the balcony and pointed to the tree.

“No,” John stated sternly with his arms crossed like a five-year-old.

“It’s this or face my dad,” Braylen offered the only two options she could think of, but decided to add on a threatening tone since she didn’t want her father seeing John leaving her room the morning after a school dance.

“Fine, but if I fall to my death, that’s on you,” John sighed after debating the options in his head.

“Uncle Luke would probably kill you anyway, so this route seems safer,” Caitlin shrugged. John planted a soft kiss on Braylen’s lips before hugging the tree tightly and slowly shimmying his way down, occasionally looking to the ground and groaning.

“Are you still coming to my birthday dinner?” Braylen asked, leaning over the edge and seeing John grinning.

“I wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

Image


Braylen smiled brightly, smoothing her red dress as she stood over a cake with nineteen candles nearly blinding her and she waited until she made her wish, she scanned her family and friends until her eyes locked with John and she closed her eyes tightly and blew out every single candle, everyone starting to clap, even other patrons in the restaurant. She turned to her father and smiled as he enveloped her in a hug.

“Presents!” Caitlin called out, jumping up and down with her present already in her hand, Braylen looked over at her with a smirk. “Mine first! Mine first!” Caitlin called out, running up to Braylen’s side and passing her a bag.

“Thank you,” Braylen gasped as she pulled out a white strapless Yves Saint Laurent dress she was eyeing for winter formal. She held it up to her chest and let out a giddy laugh before hugging Caitlin and whispering, “I love you” in her ear. Caitlin gave her an extra squeeze. She mouthed I love you too before walking back to her seat. Braylen carefully placed the dress back into the giant back and sat awkwardly, unsure of how to ask for more presents.

“Alright, darlin’, this is from me,” Her father cleared his throat pulling out a blue box. Braylen took the box unsure of it was too much. She took off the Tiffany’s ribbon and opened it delicately and saw a pair of diamond earrings in the shape of stars, her jaw dropped.

“Daddy, this is too much…” Braylen sighed looking at them, feeling elated and guilty at the same time, turning to him with happy eyes.

“Nonsense, you only turn eighteen once,” he smiled. Braylen giggled and jumped up and down quickly taking out her pearl earrings and putting her new ones in and pulling back her waves so everyone else could see.

“Damn! Uncle Luke! You totally upstaged me!” Caitlin let out with a huff and slouching into her seat, making everyone at the table laugh. Braylen hugged her father again, carefully putting the blue box into the bag Caitlin’s present was in. Braylen felt her ears and smiled so big, her cheeks began to ache and she kissed her father’s cheek again.

Caitlin nudged Jared to give his present and Jared’s eyes widened, “Hell no, I’m not going after diamond earrings!” Jared exclaimed. Caitlin nudged him again until he signed walking up an envelope with a Star Wars card and eighteen dollars and twenty-seven cents slipped out. “Sorry, I didn’t have a lot of money to spend,” Jared muttered shooting a look over at Caitlin.

Braylen scanned the card: Braylen, you are seriously one of my best friends and I’m so glad we endured Coach Rice’s P.E. class in sixth grade because you introduced me to the love of my life. You’re one of the friendliest and funniest people I’ve met and people who judge you otherwise are just missing out. Happy Birthday, Jared was scribbled in messy handwriting and Braylen’s lip jutted out as she stood up and hugged Jared tightly, letting all the coins fall to the ground. “Thank you Jared, this is so sweet!” She felt so happy. Her white headband almost falling off her head, she grabbed and laughed before returning to her seat, collecting the money that had fallen. She put all the money in the card, replaced the card in the envelope and put it in her bag.

Her father’s cell phone rang, which he answered and lowered his voice, and anger flowed through her face. She tried to ignore it as Grant and Isabelle passed up their present: a new pair of leggings and a stuffed bear with their school mascot on a tiny t-shirt, on the back it had her last name and the number eighteen. Braylen smiled and hugged them both before putting everything in the bag. She turned to see her father with a frown on his face.

“Darlin’ I gotta go, business… I’m real sorry Bray…” Her father sighed hugging her tightly. Braylen faked a smile while her heart broke. She hugged him back and thanked him for his present again and let him kiss her forehead. She turned back to the table and saw a bunch of awkward faces.

“Well, this is from me,” Sterling smiled after clearing his throat and passing her an envelope. Braylen smiled and opened the envelope curiously, she saw card with a cat in a cake until a letter fell out. She picked it up and gave Sterling another curious look and she unfolded it and her eyes widened when she was the return address was Juilliard.

Dear Ms. Huntington,

Thank you for your application. Though your application essay was quite unorthodox, due to your numerous recommendations we are inviting you to live auditions, whichever is the closest and convenient for you…


Braylen dropped the letter and her jaw dropped. “You didn’t!” She exclaimed, still shocked hoping this wasn’t a prank or cruel joke. She felt tears starting to swell in her eyes and Sterling cockily stood up and spread his arms prepared for a hug. “How did you even do this?! I wasn’t even going to apply!” Braylen sputtered as she hugged him tightly, a few tears escaping her eyes the most. “I got invited to live auditions for Juilliard,” Braylen explained.

“Well, I convinced all of your teachers… except Mr. Burns, to write recommendations and Mrs. Bixby gave you an awesome one so did your other dance coach. Braylen, you can’t not do this… you said so yourself, dancing makes you the happiest.” Sterling said his eyes growing serious. She clutched the papers tightly to her chest.

“Thank you so much Sterling Anderson Brady! Thank you so, so much!” Braylen smiled hugging him again before sitting down and putting the letter in her clutch, turning to where her dad was sitting and seeing an empty chair. She felt sad he couldn’t share this moment with her, her smile dropped awkwardly.

“So that’s a big, fuck you,” Sterling stuck his tongue out, “I got her the best present,” He boasted. She let out a laugh and everyone’s attention turned to John, who was the only who hadn’t given her a present, she tried not to look too expectant, but she couldn’t help it. After all the awesome presents she had gotten, she wanted to know what he had gotten her.

“Uh, I have to, uh, give you your present in private…” John spoke awkwardly, dropping his eyes and a light blush creeping on his cheeks.

“Okay, birthday sex does not count as a present, JohnO!” Sterling chuckled sticking a huge bite of chocolate cake in his mouth, muffling his words. John threw a punch in Sterling’s arm and Braylen chuckled as everyone else started laughing as well. Sterling had sad eyes, rubbing his arm making the whole situation funnier.

After they had finished their cake and found out that Mr. Huntington had paid for everything when he left, the party left for Sterling’s house, where he was holding the official Braylen Huntington birthday party, bound to be one of the best parties of the year. Braylen thanked everyone again for her presents and walked towards the parking lot when John caught up with her.

“Why don’t you ride with me?” He smiled and placing his arm around her and guiding her over to his truck.

“Why? Are you going to kidnap me and kill me?” Braylen chuckled, Caitlin didn’t even notice she wasn’t there, as if they had conspired beforehand.

“God, I can’t believe you still don’t trust me…” John sighed unwrapping his arm and drifting off and looking sadly. Braylen laughed and grabbed his hand, placing it over her shoulder again. “That’s what I thought, you want your present,” John smirked. That was true, because she was curious about what she couldn’t receive in front of their good friends.

“Well, we have to stop by my house first so I can change,” Braylen laughed. John obliged and he waited in his truck as she ran inside leaving her presents in her room and stripping off her dress and heels. She removed her headband and shook her hair so her waves became wild. She slipped into a pair of skinny jeans and looked through her closet for a silk blouse she wouldn’t have to change her bra with. She pulled on her ankle boots before grabbing her clutch and running outside again and jumped into his truck.

“You look beautiful,” John smiled, it was so innocent and genuine Braylen just smiled, looking down and tucking down a piece of hair behind her ear. She was surprised when John pulled over at a neighborhood park and got out. Braylen looked confused, watching John grabbing a gift bag from his trunk and he got back into the truck “Okay, before you say it, this isn’t like a naughty present or anything, it’s just personal,” John shrugged before handing her the bag.

Braylen gave him a smile before peering into the bag and pulling out a giant binder and a polaroid camera. She flipped it open and saw a picture of her, Caitlin as four-year-olds with John between them smiling brightly with a missing tooth. She laughed turning the page and looking at them at probably age six, Braylen with giant blue eyes staring at the camera as John stood behind her with his two fingers behind her head and his tongue sticking out. Braylen laughed. She read the words: “Remember when we’d rather go to the dentist than hang out?”, she turned the page to see her punching John minutes later. She looked at the next picture, them trying to get as far away from each other as possible as their fathers smiled brightly behind them. Braylen laughed loudly.

The next picture was when she moved to Arizona, both of them sitting on the curb in time out in fifth grade for fighting. Then there was a picture from middle school, where John and Jared were standing behind Caitlin and Braylen with their middle fingers up. Then she turned the next picture, with Braylen and John in eighth grade, Braylen crossing her arms and turning away from John and him looking at her with a certain fondness. She went through pages of this until she got to a blank page with the words “Night We Became an Official Couple” and she looked up to see John holding the polaroid camera.

“What do you say? Be my girlfriend?” He asked with a nervous smile on his face.

“Yes,” Braylen smiled, pressing her lips to his and she saw a bright flash. She could barely keep her lips pursed she was smiling so big. She grabbed the camera, removing the picture and moving closer to him with a perfect smile on her face and pressed the button again. She held both pictures in her hands and watched as they turned from black and started to form faces. She saw her smiling prettily at the camera and John with one arm around her and the other one with a thumb up and a cheesy smile on his face. She laughed and put them both in the book and held it close to her chest.

“Thank you, John, I really love this,” She smiled kissing him once more before he turned on his car and they made their way to Sterling’s house.

“Was it your favorite present?!” John asked excitedly, Braylen let out a laugh and her shifted her eyes. “Was it?” He asked raising his eyebrow.

“Dude, these earrings were like two grand…” Braylen exclaimed sarcastically as he parked, he let out a faux roar and wrapped his arms around her pulling her into a tight embrace. Braylen let out a loud giggle and planted many kisses on his face, his arms still tightly around her. “Yes, you are what I wished for,” She whispered, her blue eyes staring at his greenish-hazel eyes. He smiled and kissed her again.

When they walked into the party hand-in-hand there was nothing new to a lot of the people there. Rumors had been circulating about them since Sterling’s party, Braylen expected at least someone to notice or say “You guys are legit now, right?!” Maybe that was the problem with the party scene, no one really cared about anything other than booze.

“Happy birthday, B!” A drunk girl came up giving her a hug, Braylen’s eyes widened and she thanked her quietly. In all honesty, being the only sober person at a party could be either very depressing or hilarious, right now Braylen envied the drunks around her so she turned to John with a cute smile.

“Do you think we could get some shots?” She asked tugging on his hand. When she looked at their fingers intertwined she smiled, her hand seemed to be tiny in his, but there was something protective about it. She smiled as he nodded with a small laugh and led her towards the kitchen where Sterling was standing with two ice cold bottles of champagne.

“Braylen fuckin’ Huntington! You get your ass over here girl!” He shouted making everyone silent for a while, Braylen blushed as she walked forward and released John’s hand so he could put his arm around her. “Y’all we are all here for this amazing girl! And gentlemen, she’s legal today!” Sterling shouted, taking her hand and twirling her as a couple of people ‘woo’ed. She turned to John with his eyebrows furrowed and looked back to Sterling and whispered that John had asked her to be exclusive.

“Hold up, gents, seems Miss Huntington is not currently on the market and JohnO is no longer dating jail bait!” Sterling corrected himself, shouting until his voice grew hoarse. This time the girls started cheering, except a select few that had had bad experiences with John, but regardless Braylen smiled as he popped one bottle and handed it to her.

“Cheers!” She shouted before chugging the bottle. Eighteen was going to be her year.
♠ ♠ ♠
Braylen
so thank you to daisylove & la dispute. for commenting.
i feel like i always talk about the same old shit in here, but seriously please give me feedback
it lets me know if i should keep writing, what you like and what you don't
i also have a new original story >>here<< it would mean a lot to me if you guys would check it out. i could make it worth your while ;). that was a joke, not sexual harassment. please don't sue me, but please DO keep being awesome XD

i apologize, i am super caffeinated and hyper.