***ed Reality

Prologue

Shelby never was one to understand the world around him. He had a habit of getting too far lost within his own mind to be able to decipher fantasy and reality. He cannot decide which world is real, the one within his mind or the one he physically stands in. He questions himself daily, wondering just what reality is, reading off and reciting any form of a definition he has come across. He knows that how he sees things is not how those around him sees them, and it all adds more to why he cannot seem to find what reality is truly. He knows what the dictionaries say, and he knows what adults tell him--that is not what he is looking for, however. He is not looking for anymore definitions, or makeshift theories. Shelby wants to know the truth. He wants to know what reality really is.
There is only one thing in life that intrigues Shelby more than reality, and this 'thing' is a person. A peer, really, as he and Shelby share a school; Shelby a year eleven student, and he a year twelve. The thought of him leaving next year frightens Shelby as he has yet to work up the courage to say something--anything--to him, and Shelby knows the chances of him working up the courage before he graduates next June is nearly invisible. Just a sliver--the smallest of hope that yes, Shelby will be able to talk to him, and maybe a friendship would blossom. Shelby would like that. He would enjoy it more than he would ever choose to allow anyone to know.
Shelby has friends. He is, by no means, a loner, but there is just something special about him. Something draws Shelby in, leaving him in awe and wonder whenever the boy walks by. Any room he is in freezes up, no-one moves, and fear is apparent in everyone's eyes; everyone but Shelby that is. Shelby stares at him in wonder. He questions everything about this boy. Shelby will gaze at him, questions running through his mind, wishing to figure out the mysterious boy, but one question always ends up repeated more than any other: What is his name? No matter who Shelby asked, they always gave him the same answer: Find someone else to obsess over. He will hurt you. Which, of course, leaves Shelby wondering why and how he would end up hurt.
Overall Shelby wants to know him. Shelby wants to know everything there is to know as long as it deals with him. Shelby has no clue why, but something deep within Shelby tells him that this boy is the answer--this boy will be able to clear his mind, give him the answers he has always dreamed of having. Shelby wants so very much for this to happen, and Shelby has one year left to make it happen.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is based off a weird dream I had awoke from not too long ago. I did twist it a bit because the dream frightened me, that being the reason I am awake at nearly two in the morning.
The style in which this story is written may end up changing, as well as the point of view.
Enjoy,
Petre