Cursed

Chapter Nine

We bickered the whole way there. Gerard’s mood was lowering considerably. As he skulked behind me, I made the healthy decision to ignore him. I was going to talk to Frank, if he wanted to tag along then fine.

As I knocked on the door, I could hear Gerard turning his nose up at the place and sneering. Frank looked much more grounded when he opened the door. He smiled pleasantly at me then frowned at Gerard.

"I didn't realise we'd have company," He commented, keeping the door ajar.

"Yeah, uh, this is my brother," I explained "He knows."

Gerard took this as his cue to shove past Frank and burst into his home. His eyes widened when he saw the pot and scales on the coffee table in front of him.

"El Dorado!" He stated "Let's get high!"

"Got the cash?" Frank said, shutting the door behind me "I don't do tasters."

Gerard threw himself on the couch with a humph and drummed his fingers impatiently. Frank lit up a menthol, offering me and then Gerard one. I accepted but Gerard declared that menthols weren't his thing.

Frank disappeared out into his room and came back with a hefty textbook. I stood with him whilst he clattered about, offering coffee. I accepted politely while Gerard sat on the couch, picking up different things on the coffee table and inspecting them.

"So I've been doing some reading on different homeopathic remedies for infections," Frank said "And I found this."

He held the book open on a certain page for me to see. There was a picture of a cluster of plants with purple heads. Monkshood.

"Wolfsbane or Aconite," Frank explained, handing me a coffee mug "Monkshood is a cousin of it. It's safe in small doses - small ones. It's a radical detox, helping promote white blood cell growth."

"And white blood cells help the immune system fight infection!" I concluded "That's brilliant! Do you have any?"

I could tell the answer from his hesitant expression. Looking at the couch, I knew Gerard could as well. He'd sat up a little straighter when Frank began speaking. Now he'd slumped back again and was inspecting his nails.

"It only grows in Spring," Frank said sadly "But when it does, it grows everywhere!"

"Well he doesn't have time for that!" Gerard snapped "This is bullshit! He's totally fucked!"

Frank tilted his head, inviting Gee to continue.

"He's killed our neighbour's fucking dog! And their rabbits!" Gerard exclaimed "He tore them to pieces! He's starting fights!" He continued, looking directly at me.

"What?" Frank questioned "You killed them?"

I nodded silently. Frank shook his head slowly his expression torn between disbelief and amazement.

"This is bullshit!" Gerard announced, standing up "You're just a wank job!" He declared pulling a porno from off of the coffee table.

"Who the fuck do you think you are?" Frank demanded, snatching the mag from Gerard.

"Who the fuck are you?" He snapped, shoving Frank "Pervert! You like guys, fine, but my brother is sixteen!"

"That's enough, Gee!" I said hastily, stepping between them both.

He took a moment to breathe and looked down at me. His face hardened.

"Fine," He shrugged apathetically "If he tries to get you into bed, don't say I didn't do anything!"

And off he stormed, slamming the door hard. I stared after him in silence for a few moments.

"Just for the record, I like girls too," Frank said "And I don't think of you like that!"

"Oh for God's sake," I sighed, rolling my eyes.

* * *

"Whoa, Lindsey!" I exclaimed as she grabbed my arm and pulled me towards her.

She dragged me into a janitors closet with her and locked the door. I eyed her cautiously. She had her back to me and was turning slowly.

"Mikey, something is seriously wrong!" She gushed, tears welling in her eyes.

I hadn't seen her for a week and she was looking terrible. She was doubled over, clutching her belly. Her face was pale with bags under her eyes. Streaks of her hair were turning white. I stared at her in horror.

She grabbed me by my shoulders, tears free flowing. I placed a hand awkwardly on the small of her back as she sobbed into my shoulder. Holy shit. He'd given it to Lindsey.

"He won't talk to me, Mikey," She sobbed "I've been trying to call him and he's turned his phone off. He ignored me this morning!"

"Calm down, Lindsey," I said delicately "He's had a lot on his mind lately. It's a difficult time."

"It's about to get worse!" She insisted "This all started after he and I. . . Look, Mikey, I started feeling really unwell. And-and this really weird stuff started happening. Like, the bleeding and my hair and- and other stuff. And now. . . this."

I frowned, confused by what she'd said.

"What's 'this'?" I questioned "What do you mean by that?"

"I'm pregnant!" She sobbed.

What the fuck? How the hell did she know that after only a week and a bit? That couldn't be right. She had to be wrong. . . plus last week she was. . .

"Are you sure?" I questioned "It's only been a week and you had that. . . y'know."

"Yes I'm sure!" She snapped "I know it seems fucked up but you have to believe me! I even felt it kicking yesterday."

"What? Lindsey they don't start kicking until about sixteen weeks, even I know that!"

"Please!' She begged "You have to believe me! I haven't told anyone else! And something's really wrong! I keep bleeding and I keep getting these really bad pains!"

"Maybe you should go to a hospital?" But even as I said it, I realised how stupid I sounded. It wasn't an option.

"This sounds dumb," She said "But Gerard doesn't have anything does he?"

"Lindsey," I said carefully, pulling her off of me "I've got to go, okay?"

"Please," She gabbled, pulling me back and grabbing at my face "Mikey, please! You've got to help me!"

And suddenly she was trying to kiss me. I jumped and tried to pull away but her hands were like a vice on my head.

"I'll do anything you want, Mikey," She said seriously "Please just help me!"

"Please let me go," I replied "I promise I'll help you and Gerard but now I need to go in order to do that!"

She nodded and released me.

As I rushed down the hall, i could feel my hands shaking and beads of sweat in my palms. Things were seriously fucked and now I had to find a cure! Whatever that thing was gestating inside of Lindsey, it was killing her.