What You Want, What You Need

Don't Give Up

Katie and I arrived at the Starbucks in under 10 and we got we saw Ashley sitting at a table near the far windows. We walked over, put our stuff down and before we went back to the front to order, I introduced the girls to each other.
“Hey Ash, this is Katie, Matt’s cousin. Katie, this is Ashley, an old high school friend. We ran into each other yesterday at the bowling alley.”
“Nice to meet you.” Katie smiled warmly and extended her arm towards Ashley.
“You too.” Ashley replied kindly, shaking Katie’s hand.
“We’re gunna go back to the front and order. We’ll be right back.” I told Ashley before walking to the line with Katie. When we got to the front, I ordered a white chocolate mocha and an apple fritter, Katie ordered a caramel macchiato and a petite vanilla bean scone, and we made our way back towards Ashley.
“So where are you guys coming from?” Ashley asked us once we sat down.
“Josh’s studio. Him and Matt were just tracking guitars for the new album.” I replied.
“They’ve got a new album coming out?”
“Yup, Ever After. I think it’s being released in November or something.” I took a tiny sip of my white chocolate mocha, which was fucking delicious by the way.
“That’s cool.” Ashley’s attention shifted towards Katie who was taking a tiny bite out of her scone. “So you’re Matt’s cousin?”
“Yup. He’s been showing me around the city since I just moved here from Toronto.”
“Really?”
“Yeah. I was accepted into UBC. My major’s visual art.”
“That’s pretty amazing. I’m horrible at any kind of art.” Ashley joked.
We were at Starbucks for about an hour before I got a text from Josh saying “come back, i miss you”. Ashley leaned over at the text and smiled.
“Awwww, Joshie misses his little Lexi-Wexi.” She spoke in a high-pitched baby voice that made he laugh.
“Shut up, that’s just Josh being Josh.” I said, knowing it was true. He’s probably just bored and has nothing else better to do.
“We better go before he starts having a meltdown due to your absence.” Katie laughed.
“Heh, he probably would too, knowing Josh.” I said while picking my handbag of the edge of the seat. “You wanna come along, Ash?”
“Sure. I’d love to see Josh studio.” Josh’s studio, or Josh himself?
“Awesome. Let’s go.” We headed out the Starbucks doors and drove back down to Josh’s studio.
“Hey Lex! And Katie and..Ashley?” Josh greeted (kinda) when we walked in.
“Yeah, I brought her with me. Is that okay?”I asked, since he sounded concerned.
“Yeah, it’s fine.” Josh plopped down on the couch behind him, I sat beside him and Ashley and Katie sat down on the couch opposite to this one. “So what’s up girls?”
“Nothing much, just living life. How ‘bout you?” Ashley responded, but her response sounded rather flirtatious.
“Just trying to finish recording a track for the album. It sounds pretty awesome so far. Lexi and Katie have already heard it, so do you wanna have a little listen?” Josh offered.
“That’d be great.” And again, her tone was flirty. I had a feeling that she liked him.
“Ugh, stop it Lexi, you’re doing it again” A voice said in my head. “This whole jumping to conclusions thing needs to stop. A lot of girls sound like that when they’re talking to guys, just stop.”
Josh played what he had of the track again and when it was over, Ashley’s smile grew wide.
“Ooohh, Ash likey.” Now her tone was at it’s most flirtatious. Why am I getting uncomfortable?
“Oh hey, where’s Matt?” I blurted out suddenly. I didn’t mean to ask, but I am kind of wondering where Matt wondered off to.
Josh sat back down beside me after the track was done and rested his arm on the back of the couch. “I sent him to the store with Brett to get a box of Coke Zero.”
I rolled my eyes at my pale friend. “You’re so fucking lazy that you couldn’t even get it yourself? And when did Brett get here?”
“About 20 minutes after you left.” As soon as Josh replied, Matt and Brett walked through the doors with the box of Coke Zero that Josh sent them out for.
“Next time, you’re getting you’re own fucking Coke Zero.” Brett said while practically slamming the box down on the table in front of us.
“Hey, hey, hey! Don’t be so rough with my babies!”
Brett rolled his eyes and pushed the box on the table a little bit more since most of it was over the edge. “Your babies? God, Ramsay, you’re so addicted.”
“I’m not addicted. I just really love-”
“You’re addicted.”
“and appreciate-”
“You’re addicted.”
“the taste-”
“You’re addicted.”
“and the fact that there’s zero calories-”
“You’re addicted.”
“and zero sugar-”
“You’re fucking addicted.”
“Okay fine! I’m addicted!”
Brett dramatically gasped and placed a hand on his chest. “Really? I never would’ve guessed.
Me, Katie, and Matt couldn’t help but laugh our asses off (but Ashley just smiled at Josh) . This is why I love Brett.
Brett’s face lit up as soon as he noticed Ashley sitting on the other couch. “Oh hey, Ashley. I didn’t know you were here.”
“Yeah, I just got here with Katie and Lexi.”She said quickly, then looked back at Josh and smiled again. “So how many tracks do you think are gunna be on the the new album?”
I didn’t pay attention to Josh’s answer, but I did see Brett give tiny little “I can see that you don’t give a shit” nod that no one else noticed but me and walked into the next room.
I got up from my seat (That Ashley took as soon as I got up) and walked into the other room to see Brett. “Hey Brett, are you okay?”
“Yeah, why wouldn’t I be okay?” He answered pretty quickly, so that’s one sign.
“Well Ashley, just kind of brushed you off.”
“So? It doesn’t bother me.”
“Don’t give me that, Brett. You like her don’t you?”
There was a short silence before Brett sat down on the chair beside him. “I just met her yesterday, how could I-”
“Brett?”
“Okay, maybe a little. But there’s no point, she obviously likes Josh.”
Yeah, I can tell. “Yeah, but that’s because she doesn’t know you. You just gotta be good old Brett and maybe she’ll forget about Josh.”
“I doubt that. I’ve been single for so long now, so I don’t think being good old Brett would do any good. I just... I just hate being lonley.”
“Aww, Brett.” I knelt down a bit so I could give Brett a little hug. “You’ll find someone someday, don’t worry. It may be Ashley, it may not be Ashley. But you will find the right girl, alright?” I pray to God that that girl will be Ashley. It would make both us happy.
“I’ll try to believe that. Thanks Lexi. You’re always there when I need you.” Brett got up and gave me a proper hug. I gave a short giggle and hugged back.
“Anytime, Jamieson, anytime.” I let go and placed my hand on his shoulder. “Now, you go back in there and try you’re best to start a conversation with Ashley so she can get to know you a little better. And who knows? Maybe she’ll fall in love with the greatness that is Brett Jamieson.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Snorkel Fin Bog Water...that is all. :3