Status: I'm finally done!!!

Crash Landed In Camelot

Chapter Twelve: The Quest for the Book that Shouldn’t Exist… or Not

I woke up energized with a hope that finally there was a chance to find some answers. I quickly dressed and walked to the dragon’s prison.

“Kilgharrah?” I yelled. I heard the now familiar rush of air as the dragon flew to meet me.

“I see that you survived.” He said in a soft echoing voice.

“Yes. And I learned something that I wanted to ask you about.” I had started shaky but gained a slight confidence as I continued. After all, this was potentially my future.

“Interesting. However, my answers are not free. Before, I had the promise from Merlin but it seems I have lost him because of my lust for freedom. If you wish to hear my knowledge, I need a promise that you will free me from my chains.” Free the dragon? How was I supposed to free a dragon? How could I free the dragon? And yes, those are two different questions.

“What will you do if I free you?” I asked, worried of the answer.

“That is not your business.” He snapped. I debated with my decision. I wanted to know the truth, but could I make that kind of promise? I had to… for answers.

“When I know who I am here, I will try to free you.” I said, solemnly. Kilgharrah eyed me for a moment before he nodded.

“Very well. What is it you wish to know?”

“Do you recall the name Armes?” He sat for a moment reflecting over the question.

“I have not heard her name spoken in many years.”

“But do you know anything about her?” I asked, puzzled.

“There was a book written about her. It was called Bóc Sylfum.”

“Book of Prophecies.” I whispered.

“Yes.” The dragon nodded with, I suppose it was an eyebrow, one eyebrow raised. “But how did you know the title?”

“You said it.” I was confused.

“I said the title in Old English.” Old English? But I heard him in modern English. “It seems you have more abilities then we know of. The book was last held at the Isle of the Blessed. Since then the last I heard of it, was it was in the hands of the Druids.”

“Druids?”

“They are others who possess magic. Though they are hunted by Uther, they are actually a very peaceful people. They were given the book for protection.”

“Where can I find them?”

“Their last known whereabouts was in a cave north of the Forest of Ascetir. It lays in Cendred’s Kingdom.” The dragon began to flap his wings.

“Thank you!” I called as he flew away. I needed to talk to Merlin. I walked back to Gaius’ chambers.

When I arrived, Gaius was busy tending to a woman. Merlin and Arthur were also there watching and helping when they could. Something was wrong. I felt a chill go down my spine as I looked at the unconscious woman.

“Merlin, what happened?” I asked.

“They found her by the gates this morning. She had fainted. Gaius is trying to see what is wrong with her.” He replied, never taking his eyes off her.

“What’s Arthur doing here?” Merlin ignored my question. I asked again. Still no response.

“Merlin?” Again, all he could do was stare at the unconscious woman. There something wrong with him. I turned towards Arthur and tried to gain his attention but he was fixated on the stranger. It’s not just Merlin. It’s both of them. But what if it’s not just them? What if it’s Gaius too?

“Gaius?” I called out, hopeful.

“What?” He bitterly replied. He’s never used that tone before.

“Would you like some help?” I asked, resigned.

“Well that’s your job.” He said, irritated. Something was definitely wrong and it has to do with that woman. I tried to help revive her but Merlin kept insisting that he help her. Finally, she woke up.

“Slowly.” Gaius cautioned, softly when she tried to sit up.

“Where am I?” She asked with a puzzled look.

“You are in Camelot. This is Gaius, the court physician. My name is Arthur. Do you remember what happened?” Arthur answered, quickly.

“I arrived late last night; it was almost morning, and then nothing. I don’t know why I fainted.” She replied.

“If I may, do you remember why you came to Camelot?” Arthur continued.

“I was paying tribute to my father when I was attacked by Cenred’s men. My men were slaughtered in the attack so I rushed to Camelot for safety.” She explained. All the while Merlin and Arthur were inching towards her. Like they were being pulled by her. Every time I looked at her, I felt uncomfortable, like a spider was crawling up my back ughh. Just thinking about it brings the shivers.

“Who was your father?” Arthur asked.

“Sir Bilius.” She said.

“Sir Bilius? That means you are Tristiana. We heard news of your father’s passing. I’m sorry for your loss.”

“Thank you.”

“How are you feeling?” Gaius chirped in.

“I feel fine. I don’t know what might have happened to me.” Tristiana replied.

“You must be hungry from everything.” Merlin said, speaking up for the first time since she had awoken. “I’ll get you some breakfast.”

As she begun to replied, Arthur cut her off. “No Merlin. She will be having breakfast with my father and I as a dignified guest.” He commanded.

“I insist that she stay here and rest.” Gaius interjected. This wasn’t going to end well. I rolled my eyes at the silliness of it all.

“She appears well enough to dine with me.” Arthur stated.

“Yes but she may have other symptoms.” Merlin added.

“Excuse me. But may I have a say?” Tristiana interrupted. They immediately stared at Tristiana, deathly silent. As if she were a goddess that would smite them, dare they try to speak. “I feel much better. Perhaps it was just stress from the attack. If Gaius will permit me to leave, it would be an honor to dine with you and your father.” She said looking at Arthur.

“Then it’s settled.” Arthur said, dreadfully cheerful. It made me want to vomit. Tristiana stood and Arthur helped escort her out of the room. Merlin left with them like a puppy begging for attention.

“Gaius, do you feel okay?” I asked as he started at the door. She must possess magic or something. But how does it work? Why wasn’t I affected? Maybe, it’s because I’m from the future? No. That wouldn’t be right. “Gaius? … Gaius! Gaius!?” I called, snapping my fingers.

“Oh Cadi. Sorry didn’t see you there. What do you need?” Gaius asked, in a daze.

“I was wondering if you have heard of a spell or an object that would make people worship someone or become obsessed with them.” Gaius’ eyes were glazed over. He had zoned out again. I tapped his arm to gain his attention. He jumped but I saw his eyes clear.

“Cadi? What’s going on?” He asked, confused.

“I was going to ask you. But what do you remember?”

“They brought in Tristiana and then all I could think about was her. Taking care of her, she was so beautiful.” Gaius’ eyes began to glaze over again. I was losing him again. How had he returned in the first place?

“Gaius?” I asked, frustrated.

“Have you seen Tristiana? She’s very beautiful.” Gaius smiled. This was getting annoying. How can I help when I don’t know anything real about magic. I tried once again to gain his attention by touching his arm.

“How did you do that?” Gaius asked. How?

“I don’t know. I just touched your arm and you seemed to be okay.” So I somehow am immune to the spell and contact pass the immunity to others also. Perfectly reasonable? Right? Wrong. I’m getting a headache. “It didn’t last very long last time.” I made sure to keep my hand on his arm. “I think as long as I touch you, you are safe or something.”

“We need to find out what is causing this.” Gaius stated, taking control.

“Where do we start? There could be many possibilities.” I asked, concerned.

"You need to get Merlin and get his help. He might be able to detect whatever enchantment is affecting us.”

“But if I leave, you will become affected again.”

“There isn’t much we can do. You can’t stay here forever.”

“I wish I knew how my magic worked.” I said, dejected. I was useless here. I didn’t know anything about real magic only what I read in Harry Potter or watched on Charmed.

“Do you know where the book is?” Gaius asked.

“It’s with the Druids, near Cendred’s Kingdom. But first we have to stop Tristiana.”

“The book could have the answers we need to stop this. If Merlin does not know what is happening, take him and find the book.” He said. This was all so confusing. “The book may tell us how your magic works and then maybe you will be able to stop Tristiana.”

“Oh.” I had just realized. I really was Armes.