Status: I'm finally done!!!

Crash Landed In Camelot

Chapter Seventeen: Magic Only Does So Much

“So do you have a plan?” Arthur asked as we started the next morning.

“Why are you asking me? I thought you were the soldier,” I snapped back.

“This was your idea,” he countered.

“Fine. I have an idea.” In truth, I wanted to go alone to save Merlin. If I was alone, then I could use magic. But no, I thought of an alternative idea. “Tristiana believes me dead.”
“How do you know that?”

“She’s confident in her magic. When she was trying to kill you, she hit me instead,” I explained.

“So you’re going to use that to our advantage?” he wondered aloud.

“Yes. Your job is going to be to retrieve Merlin.” So I can use magic on Tristiana, I added to myself.

“You’re going to be the distraction? How are you going to manage that?” he questioned.

“By coming back from the dead,” I said as if it were obvious. We continued to work out the fine details of the plan. As the sun approached noon, we began to wonder where the bird was taking us. I wondered how Merlin was being treated when I felt the now familiar warmth. This magic thing was getting easier.

“Cadi?” I heard.

“Yes?” I replied looking towards Arthur. He looked confused.

“I didn’t say anything,” he answered. Now I was the one confused…

“Cadi?” I heard again but this time I was looking at Arthur and knew he hadn’t spoken. The voice sounded like Merlin’s. But it couldn’t be, could it?

“Merlin?” I questioned in my mind.

“You’re alive! How are you doing this?” he asked.

“Me? I thought you were doing it,” I answered.

“I was just responding to you.”

“But I wasn’t trying to contact you. Although, this does help,” I thought.

“Help? How? What’s going on?” he questioned.

“Arthur and I are coming for you,” I replied.

“You can’t. It’s a trap. She’s going to kill Arthur as soon as she sees him,” he insisted.

“I kind of figured that out. I have a plan. And I’m going to need your help. Arthur is going to come for you. I need you to get him out of there,” I explained.

“What are you going to do?”

“I’m going to confront Tristiana,” I stated.

“You can’t!” he cried out in my mind.

“Why not? She can’t hurt me, she’s tried but it doesn’t affect me the same way,” I said, coolly.

“She has a small army now. You can’t fight all of them,” he added.

“She’ll want to talk to me first. When you’re safe with Arthur, I can use magic to fight her and her army off,” I argued.

“We’re here,” Arthur announced.

“What?” I replied aloud.

“The bird keeps circling over one spot. I am assuming it means we’re here,” he answered.

“Oh,” I said aloud but continued to Merlin in my head, “Where does she have you?”

“I’m in the dungeon of an abandoned castle,” he responded.

“Okay. Hold tight, we’ll have you out soon.”

“Be careful,” he sincerely replied.

“You too. Remember. Protect Arthur,” I said to Merlin. I continued aloud to Arthur, “You remember the plan?”

“Find Merlin,” he replied.

“And?” I eyed him.

“And save you from Tristiana,” he continued.

“Ugh,” I groaned. “How many times do I have to say this? I can handle myself. I’ve got a plan,” I persisted.

“What happens if your plan fails? I’ll not have you die because you insisted you had a plan. I’m the trained warrior,” Arthur argued using my own words.

“That’s nice and all, but honestly, my plan will only work if you find Merlin and leave. Got it?”

“Why don’t we both go for Merlin?” he compromised.

“Because she’ll expect that. The more we argue, the more likely it is for us to get caught. Now, I’m sure she will have him in the dungeon. So look there first,” I explained.

“What dungeon? We’re in the middle of the woods,” he asked using his hands to emphasize his statement.

“And you say you’re a trained warrior,” I tsked and pointed through the trees under the bird. “If you look carefully, you will see the gray of a stone castle.” I watched Arthur squint to view the castle. “I’ll take the front entrance, you find another way in. Stick to the plan.” Before I received confirmation, I raced away with Phillip.

“Everything is going to be okay,” I said to myself. Before I reached the clearing to the entrance I pulled hood up from my cloak to disguise myself. I continued my approach. The guard stationed at the door looked up and grinned. “So the noble prince has arrived. We’ve been waiting. Leave your horse and follow me,” he commanded. I unsaddled from Phillip and followed the guard, who was joined by other guards, into the castle. These guards were pretty confident because they never asked for my weapons. The castle was not nearly as large as Camelot and showed years of neglect. Cobwebs were formed on the walls. Areas of the walls were in disrepair. Finally we came to the great hall. Inside, stood Tristiana.

“Prince Arthur. How wonderful to see you again! I was assured by my guards, you came alone?” she asked for confirmation. I nodded my answer.

“Good! Excellent. I was right to take your servant. And what about the girl? I’m sure your servant would like to hear from you that she’s dead. He won’t believe me,” she joked. “Why are you just standing there? Come closer.” She commanded. I obliged and moved. “Don’t have anything to say? Should I bring Merlin out?” she asked, turning around.

“Do you ever shut up?” I asked to distract her from Merlin. I have to give them enough time. She quickly turned around. “And honestly, are you blind? I’m not as tall as Arthur or have so broad of shoulders.”

“Who are you?” she asked.

“Care to guess?” I teased. She glared in return. I felt someone sneaking up behind me but was too late for they removed my hood.

“How are you still alive?” she yelled.

“You’re not very good at casting spells. That’s three now. Perhaps you should find a new profession?” I continued. She looked so mad and confused.

“This is not possible. You should have died,” she said, slightly hysteric.

“True. I should have died a long time ago. But it seems like something doesn’t want me to,” I responded. She just stood there, figuring out her next move. But I couldn’t do anything before I knew Arthur had found Merlin.

“So if you’re here and apparently alive, where is your dear prince?” she asked. I had planned for this.

“Locked in the castle for his own protection. Daddy wouldn’t let him out to play,” I joked.

“What, the king doesn’t care for you?” she sneered.

“The king doesn’t control me,” I answered as a warning bell rang and a guard ran in.

“My lady. The prisoner’s escaped!” he cried out.

“How?” she exclaimed.

“It’s not clear. The guards were found unconscious,” the guard explained and stood awaiting orders.

“I assume you have started the search party. He can’t have gone far,” she snapped in response and started for the doors. “Don’t let her leave,” she called as she left the room. Oh no. Were they far enough away yet? Are they even out of the castle?

“Merlin!” I called out in my mind, concentrating on finding him.

“Cadi, we’re still in the castle,” he responded, already knowing my question. “We won’t leave without you.” Ugh Men. They never follow instructions, I sighed to myself.

“They know you’ve escaped! You have to get out before they find you both!” I pleaded.

“We will not leave without you. End of discussion. Can you get away or--- Damn!” he exclaimed.

“What’s happened?” I asked, nervous.

“Arthur just got knocked out and more guards are coming,” he replied. Crap.

“Find someplace to hide him and yourself. I’m coming,” I commanded as I ran for the doors. Tristiana left only one guard for the doors. Will she ever stop underestimating me? I am actually becoming offended by that… I’ll dwell on that later. Right now, save Arthur and Merlin… again.

I pulled out my sword as I opened the door. The guard turned at the movement, drawing his sword. I knew I could easily fight him but I needed to hurry so before anyone could swing the first blow, I magicked the man into the wall. I only paused to be sure he had been knocked out. I didn’t know where Merlin was but could sense his direction through the corridors. I came across a few guards but quickly hid or dispatched them as I continued my rescue. When I went around a corner, I knew Merlin was only a few feet away. In fact, he was right in front of me, unconscious on the ground, alone. I rushed to confirm he was just knocked out and as I kneeled to check, I joined him in his slumber.
When I woke up, I found my hands tied and my sword gone. Merlin was next to me. We were back in the great hall.

“The other lovebird is awake,” Tristiana cooed. My head her hurt from being knocked out and my mind disorientated. “Good. Now we can get started,” she said pulling Merlin’s hair. I winced from his pain.

“She doesn’t know where Arthur is and I will never tell you,” Merlin stated firmly.

“I was so hoping you’d be cooperative. But I guess we’ll have to do this the hard way,” she said, walking towards a guard. The guard handed her a knife. “Since magic seems to repel off you. I’m going to use something a little more traditional,” she smiled as she walked towards me.

“You might as well kill me because Merlin won’t tell,” I said as confidently as I could given the situation.

“So sure of that are you?” she asked as she put her knife to my throat. I paused and considered my options. I have to remain calm. I thought of a plan.

“Want to know a secret about me?” I whispered. She eyed me carefully.

“Pray tell, what is your secret?” she questioned, skeptically.

“I’m already dead. Well, I have already died before,” I chuckled.

“And you are here now as what? A spirited? No you’re corporeal. This is just an attempt to save your petty life,” she scoffed moving the knife away.

“I’d take me seriously if I were you. Don’t want to have to kill me twice,” I joked, happy to be free of the knife.

“You’ve gone crazy,” she laughed.

“No. I just am stating the truth,” I answered. “You always seem to make mistakes,” I taunted.

“You’re wasting my time,” she said, sternly. She quickly returned her knife to my throat and continued at Merlin, “Where is the prince?”

“You know. I wasn’t wasting your time; I was waiting for the opportunity to inform you that my ropes are untied,” I said making the ropes loosen. I could sense her anger and annoyance now. Almost ready for the main event. I quickly spun away from her knife and took the sword from a nearby guard. “Anyone that comes near will take this blade through their heart,” I shouted. Tristiana began to laugh at my statement. Thinking my threat false, she ordered her guards to attack.

“Injuries only. I need them alive,” she barked. I sprang into action, first cutting Merlin’s ropes.

“Find a way out of here and get Arthur and leave,” I urgently commanded as I killed the first guard that attacked us. He died laughing, barely realizing I made good on my threat but his nine friends stopped their giggles. Their laughter was replaced with anger. Merlin took up the dead guard’s sword.

“This time, listen to me. I have a plan,” I said shooing him out. The look on his face almost made me change my mind and follow him. Many of the guards went to follow him. “Hey are all of you as weak as your fallen comrade? Is that why you follow Merlin? Is he easy prey?” I called out while clashing swords with a guard. All but one returned, leaving me to fight eight guards. Easy… I think. I continued fighting a guard as the other six surround me in a circle. Many of my moves were instinctive, I never thought. I just moved. My arms tired quicker because of the heavier blade. I knew I again had to stall for time. To stall, I had to keep their interest. The guard and I were evenly matched but when I saw my opening I took it. He had stumbled over his own feet, the oaf, and I plunged my sword into his chest. His friends were in an uproar. All of them wanted a piece of me.

“Merlin, you have and Arthur made it out?” I asked in my mind.

“We’re by the horses, waiting. Arthur’s not happy but his cooperating,” he replied.

“Okay. Stay there. I’ll be out in a minute,” I told him fighting the enraged guards. This is time consuming. “Hey, Tristy! You might want to watch this,” I taunted. How should I do this? I contemplated the perfect idea. The plan I thought of was silly and outrageous but that’s what I wanted. I concentrated on how wanted my spell to work and called out, “Bibbidi-bobbidi-boo!” I watched as the guards turned into pumpkins. God I love television. Tristiana looked at me shocked.

“You have magic!” she cried.

“Took you long enough,” I smirked. “How else do you explain the fact that I’ve survived every spell you cast towards me? You really are an idiot.”

“But how? Spells affect everyone, you would be no exception,” she replied.

“Oh that’s right. I’ve been told I’m special. I guess you could say, I’m different from everyone here. We haven’t been properly introduced. Hello. My name’s Armes,” I smiled.

“Armes? She’s nothing but a legend,” she snapped.

“Believe what you want but that’s not going to stop a ‘legend’ from destroying you,” I replied, getting bored. “Let’s see. How do you want this to go down?”

“Why are you trying to stop me? We should work together. Together, we could rule all of Camelot,” she asked.

“I don’t want to rule Camelot. I just want to see magic used freely,” I answered.

“And we can make that happen. Think about it. We’re both powerful sorceresses. The people will be free to do as they please,” she tried.

“And Arthur? What happens to him?”

“Sacrifices must be made. Can’t have people trying to take back the crown,” she responded.

“The kingdom needs Arthur, he will be the reason magic returns to the kingdom. Not you.” At this point I was waiting for her to make the first move.

“If we ruled, you could have anyone you want. In their eyes, you have noble blood. I see how you look at Merlin. If you went back, they would never let you be with a servant,” she baited.

“That’s none of your business. Merlin is my friend. There is nothing else you can say that will make me change my mind,” I answered, firmly.

“Very well. There’s no room for Pendragon supporters in my kingdom,” she stated. “I hope you said your good-byes.” I could feel Tristiana begin to summon her magic, I prepared mine as well. I watched as various objects around the room started to levitate. She had learned her lesson, outright magic would not stop me. The objects started to fly towards me but as they would reach me, some would lose momentum and fall or fly back towards her. She soon realized that her attempts were futile.

Fire,” I heard her say and watched as a fireball formed and grew. The ball grew larger and larger, until it almost reached the tall vaulted ceiling. How could I protect myself from that? I started thinking of a shield that could surround me and protect me from the flames. I felt the warmth spread hot through my body. The shield was taking a lot of power and energy. I watched Tristiana release her spell and the ball come towards me slowly. I stood my ground.

As the ball touched the shield, it repelled back towards it’s caster, in triplicate time. Tristiana hardly saw the ball come towards her as she burst into flames due to her own spell. Her screams echoed through the hall and castle. I actually felt sorry for her pain but knew it was by her own hand. The screams continued as the hall caught fire and began to shake. I had to get out of there before I became a part of the rubble. I started to run towards what I thought was the exit but all the corridors looked the same. The fire was spreading and the smoke became thicker. I started coughing as I reached a dead end. I tried to shield myself from the smoke with a spell but I had used all my energy to protect myself from Tristiana. I was defenseless.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry that it's taken so long. I sorta of had forgotten about the story because I wanted the ending to be perfect. Even then, I feel as though the last chapter will be a disappointment. However, I know of no other way for it to end. Hopefully I'll even have it up by the end of the day.