Status: I'm finally done!!!

Crash Landed In Camelot

Chapter Three: Well That's Just Useless

I woke up to the sun shining on my face. “Skyia, I had the weirdest dream last night.” I started before finally opening my eyes. It wasn’t a dream. I suddenly remembered what had happened last night. My head hurt like a mother------.

I dug through my bag for the bottle of pills I always carried and popped two in my mouth. I proceeded to look for my hairbrush. Thankfully I pack everything essential in this bag. Hairbrush, toothbrush, extra clothes, blanket, and pills. All the electronics in it were useless, the water had seen to that. I slowly brushed my hair and dressed myself for the day. As I entered Gaius’s lab, for lack of a better name, my stomach growled.

“Hungry?” I heard Gaius ask.

“Starving,” I admitted. He handed me a bowl of what looked like porridge and piece of bread. I gratefully wolfed it down. “Thank you.” It wasn’t the best tasting food but it was food nonetheless. This was going to take some getting used to. As I begun to clean the dishes, Merlin walked in the room.

“Oh hey, you’re finally awake,” he stated walking over.

“How long have you been up?” I inquired.

“Hours. It’s almost noon”

“Whoa. I guess yesterday really took it out of me.” I slightly smiled and sat back at the table that I ate at. I watched as Gaius begun to mix ingredients for what I guessed to be a tonic.

“So… do we know how I got here?”

“I’ve been trying to figure that out but it’s been really busy with the tournament starting today. Gaius? Have you had the chance to look at your books?”

“I’ve looked but there doesn’t seem to be any knowledge of this happening. Perhaps we should try the Great Dragon?” Gaius suggested. Dragon? Too freakin’ cool.

“Wait, wait, wait. Let’s reverse this conversation. Dragon? Like a real living fire breathing dragon?”

“Yes, Uther captured it during the Great Purge and it lives under the castle.” Merlin explained. “I go to him from time to time for advice.”

“It talks?” I asked stunned.

“Yes he does and it’s mostly in riddles.” Merlin complained.

“Okay then. Any other surprises about this place?”

“Not really. We don’t have a lot of time before the tournament starts and Gaius and I have to be there.” Merlin said. “First we need to get our back story straight so that we don’t tell people the wrong story.”

“Okay. So I’m your distant cousin from the north. I came to visit because when we were younger we were very close and… my parents died so I came to tell you and your parents?”

“That works but it’s just my mother and I. I don’t know who my father is… he left before I was born.”

“Oh. I’m sorry Merlin.”

“It’s okay; it’s hard to miss someone you didn’t get the chance to meet.”

“Where’s your mother?”

“She’s back home in Ealdor.” As Merlin said this we heard the sounds of trumpets announcing calling all competitors to prepare for the tournament. “Arthur will need me to help with his armor. Go with Gaius when he leaves.” Merlin said hastily as he rushed from the room.

“Gaius, do you need help with anything?” I asked as he grabbed a small pouch to carry some supplies in.

“Not right now. I am preparing for any injuries that will be sustained during the tournament.”

“Is the tournament life threatening?” I asked confused.

“It can be for those that blow powerful blows. We sometimes lose a few knights that either were not as strong as they thought or their opponent was too violent.”

“Then why do they hold tournaments like this?” I asked partially already knowing the answer.

“For pride, honor, and gold. To win is to prove yourself worthy. It also provides entertainment for the people.”

“Oh. I’m glad they got rid of this tradition in the future.” I muttered.

“Come on, we should get down to the field.” We exited the room and walked the corridors of the castle before reaching the entrance. Even in the daylight I got lost. We walked through the stone courtyard and I heard the sounds of hundreds of conversations. Then I saw the tents of the competitors and the arena. This was becoming real. I was in the middle ages. When would the plague hit? How long would I live? I began to truly understand where I was and I became worried.

The trumpets sounded again signaling the beginning of the tournament. Arthur walked out of his tent with Merlin trailing behind him holding his helmet. “Here you go sire.” I heard him say.

“Thank you Merlin.” Arthur replied.

“Good luck.” Merlin said as Arthur walked to the arena. Merlin made his way towards Gaius and I. “Hey.”

“Hey yourself.” I replied.

“So there are about twenty-six knights competing today, which means this will take the better part of the day. When Arthur is done, I have to repair and polish his armor for tomorrow and sharpen his sword. After that we can go see the dragon,” he said the last part quietly so only I would hear.

“Can I help?” I wondered.

“With what?”

“His armor? Or sharpening his sword? I know that it’s not my place but I’m an independent woman, normally, and in the future everyone has equal rights so before you say no because of my gender consider it.” I snapped.

“Maybe in the future but I want to get it done quick so I don’t want to spend the time teaching you.”

“Okay. But I feel I am a burden for you and Gaius… I need to do something to help.”

“It’s not your fault.” Gaius said. “You were forced to be here. But if it makes you feel better you can take Merlin’s place as my assistant. He’s always busy helping Arthur anyway.”

“Are you sure? I don’t want to take Merlin’s job away from him.” I questioned.

“I’m sure. It’ll give you something to do while we figure this out. Merlin will help you until you know your way around Camelot.”

“Merlin? Are you okay about this?” I asked, not wanting to step on anyone’s toes, especially Merlin. He was being so helpful.

“Yeah. I’m always busy saving Arthur’s life; it’ll be good for Gaius to have someone else to help him.” Merlin said hiding the slight sadness in his voice. Gaius is like the father he never had. Maybe I should say no but he did say it was okay. It’s not like I would be replacing him completely. This is all so complicated.

“I’ll do it. It’ll be fun to learn how physicians work in the middle ages.” I decided.

“Merlin!” We heard a voice yell. “Merlin! There you are! You really are incompetent, aren’t you?” Arthur said walking up in his armor.

“Sorry sire.” Merlin bowed his head in apology.

“Right you are. You’re supposed to be helping me with the tourney.” Arthur bitterly said.

“Sorry sire. It was my fault,” I interrupted. “I’ve just missed him so much and I thought he had a few minutes to spare and it lasted longer than we thought. I’m truly sorry sire.” Nice butt kissing you dunder dolt. Hey, you’re the reason he’s in trouble. Arthur looked over towards me; apparently he hadn’t noticed I was there… again. What am I invisible? Seriously.

“Oh. Cadi. Uhm, yes I suppose you haven’t seen him in a while but Merlin knows his place. After this tourney is done, I’ll give him a day so you two can reminisce on old times.” Arthur carefully said.

“Thank you my liege. I never meant to take away your servant. Best wishes in your tourney.” I said as I half curtsied. Merlin nodded good-bye as he and Arthur went off to do whatever. What did he need him to do, hold his sword? “Gaius, what exactly does Prince Arthur need help with?”

“Merlin only knows what. I suppose he needs water and just moral support. Though Arthur doesn’t show it, he does care about Merlin. They’ve become close friends.” Gaius explained. “Now, since you are helping me. You’re going to have to be able to know the different herbs I will need you to get occasionally,” Gaius began. He then proceeded to explain various herbs their descriptions and their uses. We were interrupted a few times to go to the arena because of injury. Many were minor, only one was fatal. By the end of the tourney, I was exhausted and I hadn’t even competed. We returned to Gaius and Merlin’s rooms with Merlin appearing shortly after with Arthur’s armor, tunic, and sword.

“Merlin, are you sure you don’t want a little help?” I inquired.

“Naw, I’m fine. I’ve done this enough that it won’t take very long.” He replied.

“Okay. Uhm Gaius? Do you need help with anything?”

“Sorry Cadi, but not at the moment.”

“Okay.” I said slightly disappointed. I wish there was something I could do. I sat for a while and just watched as Gaius made more concoctions for the tourney finale tomorrow. Merlin began repairing Arthur’s chainmail. What was supposed to do? This was getting boring.

“Uhm, I think I’ll take a walk around the castle.”

“Okay, just don’t get lost.” Merlin said distracted by his work. Gaius looked as if he wanted to protest but I was out of there before he had the chance. Okay concentrate this time. Don’t get lost. This should be fun. It’s night out and I’m alone in a big castle. Explorations await! Okay that was lame.

Anyway, I started my walk around the halls being sure to remember when I took a left or a right. I came across a few guards and servants that gave me no acknowledgment. That was until, “Cadi?” I turned around.

“Gwen. Hi. How are you?”

“Good. You?”

“Settling. Thank you again for letting me borrow your dress. Uhm I’ll return it as soon as I get more dresses.” I smiled. “What are you doing here?”

“I work here as Lady Morgana’s maidservant. Don’t worry about returning the dress, it suits you and you’ve lost all your belongings.”

“You’re so kind, but I couldn’t” I replied. Everyone was being so kind.

“Guinevere,” I heard the unmistakable voice of Arthur calling. He came closer and saw that she was not alone. Finally. “Cadi.”

“Prince Arthur,” I replied curtsying. Do I really have to do this every time? Gwen didn’t she just nodded. Hmmm.

“Good evening. Cadi, what are you doing out so late?” Arthur asked.

“I was just exploring the castle. I didn’t get the chance earlier and I know I couldn’t sleep if I wanted to at the moment.” I explained.

“Sire, it is getting late and I must be going,” said Gwen.

“Would like for me to escort you?” Arthur offered.

“No sire. I can manage.” Gwen said leaving Arthur and I alone.

After a short pause, Arthur started with, “So… you’re visiting from the northern border? That’s a long way to visit a cousin.”

“We were very close when we were young but then my family moved away. I came to give him the news of my parents passing.” I said my voice cracking slightly at the end. Truly I had lost more than just my parents. I lost my entire life back home. Tears began to form in my eyes but I would not allow them to fall.

“I am sorry for your loss. Are you going to be staying long in Camelot?” He inquired.

“I do not know. At the moment I am staying with Gaius and Merlin. But I know that Merlin cannot sleep on the floor for long and I have nowhere else to go…” I paused. I hadn’t thought about that… where would I go? I can’t go back to the future, I was dead there and I didn’t know how to return anyway.

“You can stay in the castle. We have plenty of rooms. I insist.”

“Are you sure sire? I don’t want to impose.”

“I will not take no for an answer.”

“I have to talk to Merlin first.” I said. He was not going to be happy. I didn’t mean for Arthur to do this. I was just having conversation. I went to walk towards Gaius’s room.

“Uhm, Cadi?”

“Yes sire?”

“Where are you going?”

“Back towards Gaius’s room.” I said.

Arthur chuckled, “Wrong way. Here I can take you, I need to see how my armor’s doing anyway and we can talk about getting you a room tonight.”

“Thank you sire.” I smiled. During the walk back, Arthur asked about growing up with Merlin and the northern border. I made up stories, remembering every detail for future reference. He asked about my journey, I explained being attacked by thugs and having to walk the rest of the way. Man did I sound like a wreck. In truth I was but I was handling it. We reached the room after many turns that I knew I hadn’t made while walking. I’m never going to figure this out.

“Cadi.” Gaius said in relief as I walked through the door. “Where have you been?”

“I was walking through the castle and I got a bit lost. Prince Arthur helped me find my way back. Where’s Merlin?” as if on cue, Merlin walked through the door, “Gaius I can’t find--- never mind.” Merlin said as he spotted me. He embraced me and whispered, “I thought you left the castle and got lost.”

“In truth, I did get lost but Prince Arthur helped me.” Déjà vu.

“Thank you” Merlin said releasing me.

“How’s my armor?” Arthur asked.

“Just need to finish polishing the arms but then I got worried about Cadi.” Merlin explained.

“I see. Well make sure it’s ready by tomorrow. And Merlin,” Arthur paused waiting for his response.

“Yes sire?”

“Prepare a room for Cadi. She may stay as long as she needs.”

“Sire?” Merlin questioned.

“Did I stutter Merlin?”

“No sire.”

“Then it’s settled.”

“Thank you sire.” Merlin said as Arthur left the room.

“Well, Arthur has taken a liking to you.” Gaius said as the door shut. I blushed. I don’t know
why…

“Strange. He’s never been like that before. Well there was Gwen.” Merlin said slightly confused. “Anyway. We can go prepare your room and then see the Great Dragon.”

“Let me just get my things and we can go.” I ran into Merlin’s room and collected my bag with the few items I had. “Let’s go,” I said walking back in the room. We exited Gaius’s room and Merlin took me to the nearest room by Gaius. He explained that then I wouldn’t get lost if I had to find them and so that it would be easier for Gaius when he needed help.

After I helped Merlin prepare the bed and hide my bag under the bed we made our way low into the castle. We approached the dungeons where we encountered chatting guards. Merlin motioned me to stay quiet.

“Flíeh grima!” He whispered and a helmet knocked out the guards. We then proceeded down the stairs to the stairway leading under the castle.

“Do that often?” I joked as we travelled down the stairs.

“I always do something different for variety.” He replied. We reached the bottom of the stairs and even in the dark; I knew that the cavern was huge. “Dragon!” Merlin yelled. The sound of rushing wind and rattling chains reached my ears as the outline line of the dragon appeared. It was the most magnificent sight I had ever seen. His slightly paled yellow-brown scales glistening in the light of Merlin’s torch and his large green eyes dull from being entrapped for twenty years. I pained at the thought that a creature so mystic was trapped here.

“And to what do I owe the pleasure of your visit, young warlock?” The Great Dragon asked in his booming voice creating chills down my spine.

“This is Cadi. She’s from the future.” Merlin said.
“From the future you say?” The dragon asked before continuing, “I have never heard of a person possessing the power to travel through time. You must be a very powerful witch to manage a feat so big.”

“Uhm, I’m not a witch.” I replied unsure how do address him.

“Not a witch you say. But how did you manage to appear here?” The dragon’s voice softly boomed.

“That’s just it; we don’t know how she got here.” Merlin interrupted.

“He’s right. I think I died and then woke up here. There were no spells or anything special about how I died.” I explained confused. The dragon didn’t seem to know more than we did ourselves.

“Nothing ever happens without a reason. Though it may be unclear why you were brought here, in the future it will become clear. Much like Merlin, there has never been someone like you. It seems your destiny did not end with your life. You have many things to offer Camelot.”
At the end of the sentence the dragon left, a deep laugh starting in his chest.

“He’s not telling us everything.” Merlin said bitterly.

“It’s okay Merlin, we know more now than we did before. I think it’s safe to say that I’m going to be here for a while.” I said. For how long? The rest of my life or would I die another young death?

“Don’t worry. I’ll make sure nothing happens to you.” Merlin comforted as though reading my mind. We made our way back to my chambers, the guards still knocked out.

“Good night Cadi.”

“Good night Merlin.” I said as he walked away. “Merlin?”

“Yeah?”

“Thank you for everything.”

“It’s nothing.” He smiled as he reached the corner. I retired to my room and pulled out a t-shirt and some shorts from my bag. When my head hit the pillow, sleep overcame me.