Status: I'm finally done!!!

Crash Landed In Camelot

Chapter Four: Did I Hear Him Right?

I heard knocking on my door. I quickly woke up in a panic. My NCIS shirt would be hard to explain to whoever was there. I crossed the room to the door. “Who’s there?” I called.

“It’s Gwen. Lady Morgana sent me with some of her old dresses.” The voice on the other side replied. I hastily threw off my makeshift pajamas and changed into my borrowed dress. If I could have an award as a quick-change artist I would place first. I let Gwen in.

“How did she know?” I inquired confused. I had never met Morgana.

“Arthur mentioned it to her when she wished him luck for the tourney today.” Gwen explained hanging the dresses in the wardrobe. “She also told me to give you this.” Gwen said handing me a hairbrush. “Is there anything else I can help with?”

“Uhm, no. I think I can manage.” I smiled. “Thank you... for everything. And if I don’t get the chance, can you thank Morgana for me?”

“Of course.” Gwen said as she left the room. I went to inspect my new dresses. They were gorgeous, too gorgeous to be hand-me-downs. I went with one similar to the dress that Gwen gave me but instead of purple it was a light blue the material was finer and less itchy compared to Gwen’s dress. I made my way towards Gaius’s room. Much like yesterday, he had food waiting for me. I really needed to reset my internal alarm clock. Gaius began teaching me the different remedies he made daily for various people. Shortly it was time for the tournament again. I still didn’t see the honor in it but the final round was uneventful for Gaius and I. With no surprise from anyone, Arthur won the tournament. I wonder why knights even bother, he always wins.

“Cadi!” I heard Merlin yell. “He did it!” He said as he jogged up to me.

“Did you doubt he would?” I asked.

“No, but you saw who he was up against, that knight was fast.” Merlin remarked.

“You better get going. I wouldn’t want you to get in trouble again because of me.” I said worried as I saw Arthur look out of his tent.

“You’re right. I’ll see you later.” He said.

“Tell Arthur I said good job.” I said as he walked away.

Gaius and I made our way back towards his room to finish making remedies for his patients. We waited for Merlin to return before I delivered them. Merlin and I talked about anything and everything. We were interrupted by Arthur asking for Merlin to polish his shoes for the banquet.

“Can you find your way back?” Merlin asked.

“Uhm, maybe?” I replied.

“I’ll help her.” Arthur offered shooing Merlin. We began to walk back towards Gaius’ room.

“Have you enjoyed your stay in Camelot so far?”

“Uhm, I suppose so. Good job with the tourney.” I answered.

“Thank you.” He said. We continued walking in silence only to be interrupted when Arthur asked, “Cadi, would you accompany me to the banquet as my guest?”

“Sire?” I asked. “I am just a common person, surely there is someone better suited.”

“There’s something about you that interests me.” He said. “Don’t worry about your status, I can easily fix that. I will not take no as an answer. I am sure you can find a gown suitable from the ones that Guinevere brought you... and Cadi, call me Arthur.”

“Si--- Arthur” I changed after he raised an eyebrow, “I am not the right person to accompany you.”

“Merlin will get you at sunset.” Arthur said ignoring my last comment. We had arrived at Gaius’ room and he turned to leave me in shock. Why in the world did he ask me? How was he going to explain a mere townsperson to the knights, the royals, and his father? I distracted myself by looking through Gaius’ books not really remembering the herbs I was supposed to learn.

“Merlin!” I called as he walked through the door. I rushed over to him.

“Cadi? What’s wrong? Is it your head?” Merlin asked worried.

“No it’s nothing like that.” I assured him. “Did Arthur talk to you by chance?” I asked twisting my hands.

“No. I haven’t seen him since I left you with him.”

“Oh.” I said nervously.

“Why?” Worry shown in his eyes.

“It’s nothing serious Merlin. Don’t worry.” I again assured him. “It’s just that he asked me to accompany him to the banquet...” I said still shocked at the words.

“He... he asked... you?” Merlin asked confused and unsure. “Maybe you heard him wrong?”

“No I’m sure I heard him right. He asked me to accompany him. Merlin, he wouldn’t take no for an answer. What am I going to do?” I was confused. Arthur is suppose to be with Gwen. He is suppose to like Gwen. Not me. I don’t even belong here.

“Cadi. There’s nothing we can do. You’re just going to have to learn how to act in front of royals in a few hours.” Merlin said uneasy. Yeah, sure that made sense. Wait. No it didn’t.

“Merlin, I can’t do it.” I whined.

“We don’t really have a choice. Now let’s get started on proper manners.” Merlin said as he ended the conversation. We spent the next few hours learning how to greet the different types of royals. We were interrupted by Arthur looking for Merlin to help him. I swear the boy can’t do anything on his own.

I retired to my room to prepare myself. Arthur sent a servant to help with my hair. I chose a velvet red dress that touched the floor. The sleeves reached my elbows where it split and hung right about my knees. Around my waist and elbows were tan bans that had patterns woven on them with thread. I may not be royalty but right now I felt and looked like I was. Shortly after my hair was done, Merlin arrived to take me to the banquet.

“Merlin... I’m nervous. What’s going to happen?” I stated as we walked.

“It’ll be fine. You’ll do fine. You look beautiful.” He blushed as he said the last part. Admittedly I blushed a little too.

“Thank you.”

“It’s nothing. And don’t be nervous. I’ll be in the hall with you... sort of.” He laughed a bit, easing my nerves as we arrived at our destination. “Good luck” He said as Arthur appeared to escort me in.

“Cadi, you look beautiful.” Arthur commented.

“Thank you Arthur. I suppose you look handsome too.” I said shakily taking a risk. Hey, it’ll make him think twice about asking me again.

“You suppose?” Arthur questioned.

“Yes I suppose.” I quirked back.

“Do you know who you are talking to?” He asked incredulously.

“Arthur, the question is, do you know who you are talking?”

“Wow. You really are Merlin’s cousin. Only he has the nerve to talk to me like that.” Arthur laughed as we entered the hall.

At first no one noticed that I was there but as we walked further, more eyes went from Arthur to me. I felt like I was going to have a heart attack right then and there. The only thing keeping me there was the fact that my hand was in the crook of Arthur’s right arm and his left hand was holding it. Finally we reached the end of the hall where Arthur, his father and Morgana were to sit.

“Arthur, who is this?” His father asked.

“Father, this is Lady Cadi of Allerion. She is visiting her cousin, Merlin.” Arthur presented. Yes, Lady Cadi of, wait! Lady? Okay that’s not right. Cadi, calm yourself. If you act surprised then they might suspect. Just smile and nod, smile and nod, smile an--- oh he’s still speaking. “Lady Cadi, this is my father, the king, Uther Pendragon.” Don’t faint. Don’t faint. “And the Lady Morgana, his ward.”

“Pleased to meet you sire” I said softly trying to manage my voice. How do other royals greet others? What do I do? Merlin didn’t cover this. Oh lord. I’m going to murder Arthur, screw his destiny. I’m going to murder him.

“Allerion? I’ve never heard of it. Where is it located?” Uther questioned after we were seated.

“Near the River Tweed.” Arthur answered for me.

“Ah, a long way to visit a cousin.” Uther said in a questioning voice.

“Yes, I came to tell him of my parents passing.” I said in sad voice. Don’t ask more, don’t ask more.

“Hmm I see. When did you arrive?” He’s rather curious. Well that’s because he hasn’t heard of you before. That’s because technically you don’t exist.

“Two days ago.” I answered. Apparently it was the wrong one.

“Two days and I am just hearing of your arrival? How did you get here?”

“I... I walked.” Crap.

“From the river?” Uther questioned in a startled voice.

“No sire. That is an impossible journey on foot.” I quickly fixed. “Just a short distance, I was attacked on my journey and all my belonging stolen.”

“Attacked? Where were your guards?” More questions. Well, let’s see how creative I am.
“I sent them back home, a seize was happening and my brother was in need of the men. I was far enough away to be safe and I had learned to protect myself at a young age.” I explained hoping it made sense.

“Why come all the way to Camelot?” I could see Arthur and Merlin becoming tense with every question Uther asked.

“Originally my goal was to reach Ealdor. When I was just a babe, my father took us there because the kingdom was under attack. He left us, my mother, brother, and I, there until it was safe for our return. He had met Merlin’s mother, Hunith, there on one of his travels across the land he knew no one would look for us there. Merlin had also just been born and we became close friends and eventually we considered each other family. I went to Ealdor to inform Hunith and Merlin that my parents were killed during the seize, when I learned that Merlin had come to Camelot.”

“How sad. I am sorry for your loss. Please, stay as long as you like.”

“Thank you sire.” Finally we began to eat. This was more than I bargained for. At least my tales were enough to convince Uther of my royalty. I can’t believe Arthur told him such lies. Ha! You were far worse. Shut up. What was I suppose to say, sorry Uther, your son was lying to you. Sigh, this is all too complicated.

“So Cadi, how long do you plan on staying in Camelot?” Morgana asked.

“Actually, I hadn’t thought of it yet.” I replied. “I told my brother I was not returning home, there was too much expected of me there now that he was king.”

“Surely, you cannot run from your responsibilities.” Uther interrupted.

“My brother understands. We were raised among the common people and my mother always taught that you must know the people to rule the people. But when my brother took charge he said that I was not to consort with the people because it was not safe anymore. I was next in line for the throne if something happened to him and his wife. I explained that I would never live as though my life was more important than that of my people and so he said it would be safer if I just left... forever.” I sniffled at the end of my explanation. And the Oscar goes to! Cadi!

“That’s terrible. But your brother was right. You’re royalty, the people are but your subjects.” Uther stated severely.

“I suppose you are right sire. But I choose to follow my mother’s teachings, it’s all I have left of her.” I replied just as serious.

“You do not know what the people are capable of, not all people are your friends. Some plot against you.” Uther said becoming irritated. Ha. Serves you right.

“I understand what you mean but I lived among the people for half of my life in hiding. They fight to survive from day to day. They work hard to earn what they need. Unfortunately there are some that choose a life of crime instead and I can only just be wary of them.” I stated firm in my new beliefs.

“You are a very stubborn girl.” Uther chuckled. “Very much like the Lady Morgana. You will fit in very nicely here. However, I do not permit your socializing with the common people.”

“I do not understand sire.” I questioned. Where was he going with this?

“Seeing as you are without a home, I insist you take Camelot as your home.”

“Father?” Arthur questioned taking a spit take. Ha! Serves you right! I inwardly laughed.

“Arthur, you’ve heard her story. She has no other place to go. I may be strict but she needs a strong figure in her life.”

“Yes father.” Arthur looked worried.

“Sire, I couldn’t” I protested.

“I demand it.” Uther said in a stern voice. I knew not to approach it again. Well, now I don’t have to worry about getting kicked out. But if he thinks he can control me, he’s got another thing coming to him. The rest of the banquet was uneventful. I couldn’t care less, I had lost my appetite but I pretended to please Uther. I talked with Morgana, she was a very nice young lady, very kind. She looked upset with Uther, though I can understand why. He was very stubborn. I suppose stubborn runs in royal blood. Ha. Finally it was at an end. Arthur escorted me to my chambers.

“Arthur, you could have warned me.” I said when we were out of an earshot of the hall.

“It’s just that’s the only way father would have let you stay.” Arthur stated, avoiding apology.

“I see. And when he finds out the truth?” I inquired.

“He won’t. The River Tweed is far too long a journey for many people. It’s rare we get a visitor from there. And your tales were perfect to avoid suspicion.” Arthur said.

“Why? Why go through all that?” I asked still confused. “Why risk my life and your father’s rage?”

“I don’t know. There is something about you that I don’t understand. I don’t think you’re telling the truth about everything. There’s something more.” Arthur rambled.

“Arthur, I assure you. There is nothing extraordinary about me.” Other than the fact that I am from the future where I died.

“I suppose so. Good night.” He said as he walked away.

“Good night.” I said softly to myself. Good night.