Status: I'm finally done!!!

Crash Landed In Camelot

Chapter Five: Not How But Why

True to his word, Arthur gave Merlin the next day off. I had breakfast with Uther, Arthur, and Morgana. I explained that I would be spending the day with Merlin. Uther didn’t understand why I would want to spend time with a servant and he never world.

“Maybe we should take a break,” I told Merlin while rubbing my eyes. We were looking through Gaius’s books for any information as to how I got there. We had gone through at least one hundred books and had found nothing. “If we haven’t found anything yet we won’t find anything now. Besides my legs are getting restless,” I added while stretching.

“Do you want to go for a walk?” Merlin asked standing up.

“I’ve never been on the top of a castle before.” I said questioningly hoping he would suggest going to the top.

“Are you sure you want to walk up there? It’s a really long walk.” He asked unsure.

“We’ve been sitting all day; it’ll be a welcome stretch to all our sitting.”

“Then to the top of the castle it is.” Merlin said leading the way out the door.

“So how did you get the job of Arthur’s servant?” I asked.

“Naturally, I saved his life. A witch plotted her revenge against Uther for killing her son. I never meant to become his servant but Uther insisted I have a position in the royal household.”

“What were you doing in Camelot? You’re from Ealdor.” I wanted to know more about the real Merlin.

“My mother sent me here because the villagers were getting suspicious of my magic.” He didn’t worry about eavesdroppers as we had started climbing the tower. “But what was your life like? Before you came here?” He inquired of me.

“Well, I had a best friend Skyia, who I have known since before I was born. She and I used to do everything together. It’s strange not being able to tell her what’s going on with me. Uhm I didn’t get along with my parents. They weren’t always around. As an only child, by thirteen, they would leave me on trips without me because they knew I could take care of myself. I miss them but not as much as Skyia.” I explained pausing occasionally to breathe.

“What’s the future like?” Merlin asked after his apologies and condolences.

“Hmm…that’s a tough one. Well the government is run differently. Britain has a queen but it’s mostly for show. They have a prime minister that is sort of like the king but is chosen by the people. The people choose how their laws are made. Uhm… There is indoor plumbing,” At this Merlin became confused. I then explained toilets and showers. It took a while because he hadn’t heard of some of the words I would use and so I would have to compare them to present day objects. I also told him about electricity, which was probably hardest to explain because it was so different from everything. “Okay, so now that you know about parts of the future, you can’t tell anyone. It could change the course of the world.” I stated as we neared the top.

“How does it feel to be royalty?” Merlin joked. I sighed. I hadn’t even been “royal” for a day and yet I still felt the same as I had before.

“… I’m going to murder him.” I joked. “Don’t tell me about his destiny. What was he thinking? What was I thinking? What if Uther finds out?” I rambled. Merlin laughed at my situation. “It’s not funny!” I lightly hit his arm in protest.

“It is. Because Uther believes Arthur and you. When he finds out he’ll be furious with both you and Arthur. Of course, he won’t find out but still.” Merlin said as we were climbing the rest of the stairs.

“This is all too complicated. It was nicer when I was just your cousin. Well it was easier when I was back home but I don’t think that’s possible anymore.” I sighed. The last two days had been fun but I was still homesick. We had reached the top of the castle and the view was breathtaking. I could see all of Camelot from all sides and the outlying homes and fields. It was magnificent. “It’s beautiful.” I felt all my stress drain away just looking at the peaceful scene before me.

“It is. This is the first time I’ve gone this high in the castle.” Merlin remarked.

“I’m glad we took the break. This just makes me feel so relaxed and as if my problems are nonexistent.” I sighed. “Maybe we should stop worrying about how I got here but why,” I said looking at Merlin.

“You’re right. If we focus on how we may miss why.” Merlin said still looking at the view.

“If I haven’t said this recently, thank you. For everything. Even when I acted like a mental person you still tried to help me and you took me in. I couldn’t have had a better person find me.” I stated giving him a slightly awkward hug as he was caught off guard.

As I released my hug he said, “You seemed so lost, I couldn’t abandon you. It wouldn’t have been right.” For a moment we just returned to looking out into the view. Enjoying the quiet that came from being so high in the sky.

“So besides saving damsels in distress, what is there to do in Camelot?” I asked.

“I don’t really know. I rarely have time to myself. If I’m not working for Arthur, I’m helping Gaius. Not that I’m complaining.” He said.

“Oh! And here it’s a day off and I’m taking it up with searching through books and treks to the top of the castle.”

“No, it’s fine. It’s nice and relaxing. I don’t mind spending the day with you.” I slightly blushed at his remark perhaps reading too much into it.

“I believe you. BUT. Now it’s your turn to find something to do.” I insisted

“Uhm, would you like to see all of Camelot?” He asked unsure. He obviously was normally very busy and therefore unsure of what do with his time now.

“I would love to.” I said looping my arm around his and heading back down the stairs. We walked around Camelot, looking at the markets, pubs, and people. I took everything in. The people we all so cheerful and just trying to make a living. It was so different from the future where everyone was hurrying from one place to another.
Merlin and I forgot about trying to figure out the mystery that was my destiny and focused on just enjoying freedom from work. I really liked Merlin, he had all these powers and should fear for his life under Uther’s rule but here he was protecting Arthur and the entire kingdom. I was glad to have the chance to meet such a great person.
♠ ♠ ♠
Kind of short but more of a filler chapter. It gets more interesting. I promise.