The Witch

Alabama Lightning

Keagin fumbled with the door handle clumsily, cursing under her breath. The early summer clouds hung heavy and limp overhead as rain began to fall lazily, lukewarm and fat, in a slow pitter patter pattern all around her. Lightning storms were common enough during the moist, humid Alabama afternoons, but the cracking stab of light and the boom of thunder always made Keagin want to shut her eyes and cover her ears, like a child, and cuddle up with her Mom. Since that was no longer an option for her, Keagin just wanted desperately to get inside and away from the impending storm, but her key was stubbornly refusing to turn.

"Son of a bitch." She sighed, giving up and slumping against the house moodily. She glanced out at all of the trees and tried to picture towering palm trees as far as the eye could see, instead, with warm, clear skies and an ocean, blue and green, that crashed on baby soft sand. She tried to imagine the sound of crying seagulls, but the echoing shrieks reverberated inside her mind and made her shiver, despite the humidity around her, and she swallowed down a choking lump of anxiety as the haunting cries faded away.

It will be fine, she said, breathing slowly and deliberately, trying to calm herself down as her hazel eyes darted from left to right, the panic attack slowly taking it's course, it will be totally fine, you'll see.

The door unlocked from the inside and a woman with dark brunette hair and brown eyes emerged, cocking her head to the side.

"Are you alright? Keagin?" She asked soothingly, almost pitying.