Dance With Me

Just Friends: Bethany POV

I was running. I made a quick glance over my shoulder and back to my house. I ran faster. My duffle bag kept bouncing around; Banging my butt and thigh in an uneven rhythm. Air was slamming against my face. I shut my eyes tight to get moisture back in them. I swung my back off my shoulder and hugged it to my chest. I continued sprinting to the park. Trees were rushing by and I began loosening up. I would try to race cars and I had to jump recycling bins that had been left over for collection this morning.

Finally after a few minutes I came to a stop. I glanced across the street and he was sitting there. I smiled to myself, swung my bag back over my shoulder, and pulled my windblown hair into a messy bun off the side of my head. I looked both ways before crossing the street and journeyed over to him. I sat next to him on the bench and sighed deeply.

He handed me a water bottle and said, "Did you have breakfast yet? You came so fast that we still have extra time to spare before school."

"Shane, I had Cheerios and a hearty bowl of strawberries. I think I'm good," I answered in a light laugh. "Did you have breakfast?"

"Yeah, but you should have some protein after running like that. Was like, a pack of rabid wolves coming after you or what?"

"Something like that..." I let it linger in the air before changing the topic. "We should get to school early, I want to stop in the studio to do some power yoga."

Shane smiled, "Sure. Care if I join you?"

I gave him a look, "Would it matter my answer? You'd still come anyway."

He laughed, "Yeah. I would."

We got up and walked over to his car that was parked against the curb. I threw my bag on to the backseat next to Shane's matching one. Mine was sea foam green with blue Aztec designs and handles. Shane's was blue with sea foam green music notes and handles. I got in the passenger seat and reclined it a bit.

"Getting comfy?"

I looked over at him and rolled my eyes, "Yeah, I am. There a problem with that?"

He laughed and said, "Not at all."

The car was on and we began heading south to school. We went to the best performing arts school in the county. We were both dancers, both at school on full scholarships, and proud to call each other our best friend.

But the one thing that wasn't the same was the fact that Shane was changing. Well, in a sense. He was still my best friend, and a great one. And he still acted the same. Still had the same friends and attitudes. But the way I felt toward him was beginning to change. I wanted to sit next to him on my couch and watch movies like we always do, only I wanted to cuddle against him and it be clear we were more than friends. I wanted to still work out with him, but I wanted him to kiss me softly in the middle of a yoga stretch. I wanted to continued dancing with him, but let the passionate dances be really thriving infatuation coming from within us. I wanted to walk the halls with him to class, but change up our normal routine with us holding hands.

It was so stupid. It was so cliché. This can't be happening! I mean it could ruin our entire relationship. That is, if he ever found out. Which I would try not to let happen. I glanced over at him singing to the song on the radio. His beautiful brown hair was styled perfectly, his blue eyes lighting up as he sang to his favorite part. He turned and looked at me, he smiled big. Shane really was amazing. And I could never call him mine.