Midnight Rider

Home

Paige had spent the rest of her evening arguing with Crissy about the Saint’s and their manor of justice. But she seemed to calm down when Paige described their rugged accent and sense of morality. It was mostly the… handsome Irish guys that got her attention. Crissy was surprised that Paige had ran way from something so exciting and new… yet she was also aware of how much Paige and Duffy tended to clash.

“What are the chances?” Crissy asked. “Detective Duffy… working so close to them? You know… we could always get him in trouble for it… you know – tell the chief or somethin’.”

“No Crissy – we are not jeopardizing them. They’ve got enough on their plate.”

“And you poor thing! Right in the middle of it all.”

“And… you too. With Marco.

“P. Don’t start on about him, he loves me, we’re gonna get married soon!”

“Crissy… are you sure you want to be married to someone who works for them?”

“He hardly-“ Crissy was interrupted by a key in the door. It was sure to be Crissy’s boyfriend Marco. A tall man walked through the door, he had tanned skin and long hair. His Italian features were prominent, as was his good looks – it was no wonder that Crissy wanted to marry him.

Marco looked happy when he first glanced at Crissy, but then once his eyes were able to realize the dark-haired girl next to her was her friend he knew as Blondie.

Blondie’s clients had a reputation that meant that she did too. And Marco knew all about it. Paige stood up, slightly ready to fight the man she was sure would turn her in immediately. Marco had always followed the Italian gangs around, trying to become one of them – and now that he finally had… of course he would take any chance to look good.

“What the fuck is she doing here Christina?”

Crissy had an ’oh shit’ look plastered across her face.

“Marco! Don’t! She’s my friend and you know that!”

“She’s wanted for information and murder!” Marco said looking at Paige, perhaps he had his own beef with her.

“P. You… didn’t say anything about killing nobody.”

“It was self defense. He would killed me if I had let him!” she said.

“Oh P. It’s worse than I thought. What have you gotten yourself into?”

“I don’t really know anymore Crissy.”

“I have to take you to Mauricio.” Marco said.

“No… no you don’t.” Paige added. “You can let me walk out of here, no one’s seen me, they’ll never know.”

“No it’s not that easy, I know your friends with my girl n’ all – but he’s looking for you, and your Irish friends.”

“Because he wants to kill us! You realized bringing me to him results in my death!” Paige yelled.

“No Marco! You can’t! You can’t let them kill her! Can’t you talk to them!?” Crissy was upset now, Paige had kept some valuable information from her, but only to spare her fear. But now the situation was more than gang rivalry, it was at the cost of her best friend’s life.

“Can’t talk them out of this Christina. She’s what they want.”

“No!” she said, now crying, “You can’t let them kill her! If you love me you’ll find another way!”

Marco flared is nostrils, and tried not to yell. He was angry that Crissy was using him like this. Finding Paige meant a lot of praise, and he had worked very hard to get to where he was now. But here he was, standing four feet from the prize and his girl was begging him not to. And he couldn’t refuse.

After a long pregnant pause, he said, “get the fuck out,” in a low grumbling voice.

Both girls looked at him, puzzled, not sure what he really meant.

“You have five seconds to get the fuck out of my house before I hand your white ass over to Mauricio!” Marco turned away from them and stared out the window. Crissy grabbed one of her coats and threw it at Paige, while Paige put it on Crissy went to the kitchen to grab some spare cash, upon returning to her living room she thrust the money in Paige’s hand. Hoping she would get somewhere safe with it – perhaps she’d have a chance.

“Be safe.” Crissy said, before Paige turned and walked out the door.

*****

For a long time Paige stood on the cold sidewalk, hoping that some sort of revelation would come to her about what she should do. But she found herself in a cab ride, going the only place she knew as home.

The long car ride was more than enough time alone with her thoughts. She didn’t know where to turn to. Her family was in hiding; her friends couldn’t be seen with her. Her whole life had gotten messed up all because of the Saints. She owed Connor to help Murphy, but she now felt like she didn’t even have a place there… with them. And the fact that she had kissed Murphy made things even more awkward.

She couldn’t take the constant hassle from Duffy, after all, he’d never actually taken the time to talk to her, to hear her defense. In his eyes she was a whore like the rest of the girls on the street. That was all anyone saw of her.

She wondered if that’s why Murphy hadn’t even spoken to her since the kiss. Perhaps he was wondering on whether or not he was supposed to pay for it. Paige had been startled by his kindness,

Paige gave the cabby nearly all the cash that Crissy had given her. Leaving her with enough change to buy a cup of coffee. She was back at her mothers home, and although she wanted to walk down the street to get a cup of coffee, she couldn’t face going back to that same diner where she had defended herself, leaving a man dead.

She pocketed the money instead, thinking that she might be able to find some instant coffee inside, perhaps to comfort the craving she seemed to suddenly have. She stepped inside the tall structured building, remembering how small she used to be when she walked these halls happy. Her original apartment had been on the third floor, before he father left. Then they had to request to be moved to the round floor so that her mother could get around easier in her wheel chair. So Paige had a short walk to the door that was broken off its hinges. Obviously someone had been looking for her, or her family at some point. But it was dark inside, and it seemed like whoever had been there was long gone.

She kicked the door shut, and picked up a knocked over chair. The place was pretty trashed, and if she ever planned on bringing her mother home, it couldn’t look like this. So she took the hair tie from her wrist and attempts to tie up her now shorter hair. She took off the borrowed coat, and began heaving several things into a trash bag.

“After seeing the state of that door… you really thought it was safe enough to come in here?” Murphy asked.

Paige dropped nearly everything she had just picked up, the voice startling her, her heart was pounding.

“Jesus Christ!” She said while clutching her chest and closing her eyes. She tried to calm herself down, it was only Murphy. “What are you doing here?” she asked him.

“We didn’t exactly think it safe, you walking about on yer own, people lookin’ for ya n’ all.”

“Oh, so I’m your responsibility now?”

“We all look out for each other, including you.”

Oh, Is that why you kissed me?”

“I kissed ya’ because I like ya’.” Murphy admitted. They were both silent for a moment. Paige hadn’t expected that answer.

“And you thought it fit to ignore me because…?”

“I suppose it’s not good for me to take advantage of ya’ like that.”

“Why because of what I am?”

“It’s not… that. Yer just not exactly… good for business.”

“What is that supposed to mean?” she asked crossing her arms.

“It’s dangerous for someone to even be around us, Connor n’ I, we’ve lost friends, and family to this job.” Murphy tried to defend his statement.

“Working on the street is just as dangerous.” She told him.

“Well a girl like you shouldn’t have to have that sort of job.”

“You think I don’t know that? But I’m the only one supporting my family. My mother’s fucking paralyzed; my sister hates me and doesn’t even speak! Someone had to take care of them, that job was left to me, why my fuckin’ father did this to us in the first place, I don’t know! So if I had to crawl in bed with some sleazy Italian shit heads, for them, I would. And I’d do it again!” Paige didn’t realize that she had kept so much anger about the situation bottled up. “On the street it didn’t matter if they had guns, or some wild fetish, as long as I took money home at night, that was all I cared about.”

Murphy was silent.

“They… they needed me.” She said, her voice shaking. Murphy stepped away from the doorframe and up to Paige.

When he was only a few inches from her face he asked: “How… old were you? When you started supporting them?”

“Sixteen.” She said, her eyes slightly watering.

“You’ve done so much for them.” Murphy said, his index finger trailed up and down her jaw, it was still bruised, but lightly colored due to the makeup on her face, “And you’ve done so much for us.”

Paige slowly gripped his collar and waited for Murphy to kiss her. When he did she felt like she could almost melt against him and stay attached forever. She had never felt love, or anything close to it – it had always been a temporary, cold, and common fuck. She had never had anyone lift her up and carry her to a bedroom while they kissed her neck. Usually she didn’t wear enough clothes for them to even come between her and her partner, so they had never been peeled off her so slowly.

Paige realized there was something different about being with someone who was an actual man. Because in this predicament she was the object of affection, rather than whoever it had been that paid her. She’d never had a man kiss her stomach… or her inner thigh. This was also the first time that a man had spent actual time kissing her, licking her… until her toes curled and her legs shook.

She was yearning, begging for him to be inside her, giving her more pleasure. Even though she was shaking, she could still manage to whisper ’Murphy, Murphy please.’ He locked his eyes with hers while he lowered himself into her. She let out several small noises that Murphy could only grin to. They way she wanted nothing but him, they way she said his name. It was all enough to make him forget what Connor had said. From the start he’s thought she was beautiful, despite all the bruises. But he’s never seen something as beautiful as this girl lying beneath him now. Naked and pale, she was a vision, he didn’t know how, or if, he’d ever be able to break this habit.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks you to every patient reader. This story always get written last, but I try to make you guys happy each time. So thanks so much for reading, liking, and letting me know what you think.