Midnight Rider

Safe House

Murphy woke up, he was confused at first, the scenery wasn’t what he was used to. But there was a bed, and to his left, Paige. He stretched. He was slowly waking up. There was sunlight pouring into the bedroom, telling him at was at least early afternoon, they both had achieved some much needed rest. He lifted himself from the confines of the warm bed and made his way to another room as not to wake Paige from her sleep. He flipped open a phone that Eunice had given him, the battery was blinking red, he didn’t know how to charge it. There were two voicemails, one had been from Eunice, the other from Connor, both wondering where he was, and what the point was to give him a mobile phone if he wasn’t going to answer it.

Murphy slipped on his boots and threw his t-shirt over his shoulders; he took a quick glance at the still sleeping girl on the bed. Her pale skin contrasted with the purple sheets, and she seemed to be happy for the time being. Murphy quietly stepped out of the room and left the apartment to find a pay phone. He wished the phone hadn’t had died, it would’ve been a lot easier rather than exposing his face outdoors.

He found a blue pay-phone only a few yards from the apartment building. He took the change from his pocket and ended up with a flat fifty cents. He dialed McGinty’s bar number, and smiled when he heard Doc’s familiar slander.

“Yeh alright Doc? Or ya been worried abou’ meh?” Murphy asked him.

“Mu-Muh-Muur-r-rphy!” He choked out.

“Aye, it’s me.”

“Where-wh-“ Doc was cut off.

“Where ya been brother!?” Connor yelled into the phone.

“I’m up north. Took me forever to find her.” Murphy said.

“Good well is the lass alrigh’?”

“Yeah she’s fine. She’d been running around las’ night, finally stopped back up at her mum’s place. She’s sleepin’ now.”

“You… both sleep in Murph?”

“Yeah I suppose so.” Murphy said biting his lip, he could hear the questioning tone in Connor’s questions.

“When did ya get in?” Connor asked.

“Late.” Murphy said.

“Ya’ sleep on the couch Murph?” Connor asked. Murphy could hear a snicker from Romeo on the other side of the receiver, and he was sure if Duffy had been there, he would have some snide remark ready.

“When’s Eunice planning on takin’ you outa’ state? Maybe she can get that Doc’ ter fix yer brain while he fixes the rest of ya’?”

Murphy heard laughter erupt from the other end of the call.

“So ya didn’t sleep on the couch, well Murph – please tell –“ Connor was cut off this time. Murphy heard the womanly voice asking him if he’d like to continue the call. He had checked in with them, and he was out of change now. But he knew even if he did have another ten cents he wouldn’t have wanted to continue the call with Connor. Either Eunice had him on heavy medication, or Connor was trying to make Romeo laugh – but Murphy knew how Connor would really feel if he told him the truth.

Murphy walked back to the apartment building, and made his way through the broken doorframe. In the bedroom he sort of smile at how peaceful someone could seem, after all they’d been through. He yawned, while he slipped off his shirt and boots before climbing underneath the still warm covers.
*****

Murphy woke up startled from an unpleasant dream. His chest glistened with sweat, but beside him what an awake girl. And the questioning look she gave him was something he didn’t want to deal with.

“You okay?” she asked.

Murphy nodded and rubbed his eyes.

“We should get back, it’s better if we all stay at the bar.” Murphy said. He swung his legs off the bed and threw his black t-shirt back on. He leaned back to fix the knot in one of his shoe laces and was pleasantly surprised by the naked girl stretching beside him. She was a sight to see without clothes, despite the cuts and bruises, she still looked breath taking. Murphy hand moved to fix his lace since his eyes fell on her. She looked back at him and then smiled.

“I’ve never stayed the night before.” She said.

“You mean… you’ve never invited someone in?” Murphy said.

“Oh.” She said looking around, “I guess this is my apartment.”

“Right, a very unsafe one at that.” Murphy added referring to the front door that was basically in shambles.

“Well I got you.” She said adding a wicked smile to her compliment.

“Come on, get dressed, and we’ll go back ta’ the safe house.”

“Safe bar?” she corrected.

“Any place with beer, is safe enough for meh!” Murphy. That made her laugh, and he couldn’t help but try to kiss her when she smiled, it was so easy for him to climb on top of her and kiss her. It was so easy to ignore that voice of reasoning. The insatiable night they’d spent together was something that stuck in Murphy’s mind vividly. She effortlessly made him feel more than incredible last night, and he wanted it to happen all over again.

But he stopped when she winced in pain.

Her hip was still bruised, she was actually injured in almost every part of her body, it was hard for him to be so gentle, he easily forgot.

“M’ Sorry.” He said.

“I guess… It’s still gonna’ take awhile before it doesn’t hurt.”

“Were you… okay, with last nigh’?” he asked her.

Paige nodded her head, “I didn’t have any problems.” She said. “You never hurt me.”

“Good.” Murphy said. He lifted away from her so that she could easily vacate the bed without him in her way. He went back to fixing the lace in his shoe.

“Connor… I mean – It’s probably not best to mention this. At least… until I talk to him.” Murphy said. “He wouldn’t understand.”

“In my line of work there was always some sort of secret to be kept.” Paige slipped on the panties she’d borrowed from Crissy, she thumbed through the drawers looking for something she’d left here. She found a simple t-shirt which she threw on top of her small breasts and her favorite pair of jeans. She thought she’d lost them months ago, but all the while, they were here at home. She attempted to pull her hair back again, but she kept forgetting she had cut it fairly short.

“I like it by the way, your new hair.”

“Thanks.” She said.

“I mean… is it going to change again? Cause I mean first the blonde… then –“

“No Murph, this is my real hair, I guess I just cut it. I dunno…” she paused, “I’ve been trying to change things about myself since all this began. To hide, or to heal. I’m not sure it even helps.”

“Well you look nice, and once we get those bruises to go away there’ll be nothin’ to hide yer pretty face.”

Murphy was now fully dressed, he took a moment to tuck her hair behind her ear before he left to find where he’d thrown his jacket. Paige took a quick look around the room. This was where she slept when she visited; she often shared it with her sister. But with her sister trying to avoid her, and not speaking to her, her little sister Genie was only six years old, but already held the world on her shoulders.

Paige clapped her hand over her mouth when she saw the blue frog that Genie carried with her everywhere. Paige hadn’t packed it for her, and she was sure that Genie was unable to be content without it.

She grabbed the small toy and watched it’s floppy legs dangle over her arm.
*****


Paige had convinced Murphy that a short detour was exactly what they needed. Paige was determined to take this toy to her sister, and it had to be now. Murphy had tried to remind her that going back to her Aunt’s house was more than just a ‘short detour.’

But with a little lunch, and a cab ride Paige had Murphy sitting content beside her as they began the trip up north.

Murphy had fallen asleep against the window before they arrived, Paige gently shook him awake before paying the cabby, and getting out the opposite side.

Paige looked at the house, and then back at Murphy, she grabbed his hand and squeezed it before she began to apologize.
♠ ♠ ♠
I would've had this up hours ago if the internet wasn't so bad at work. Sorry about that, thanks for being patient, as always - you guys are the best.