Midnight Rider

Safe Bar

“She’ll say a lot of things, about you, and most likely say anything and everything that will embarrass, me or you, so just know that I’m sorry okay?”

“You mean your mum?” Murphy asked her.

“I mean my crazy mother, yes.” Paige began to walk up the steps to the front door. “And I didn’t leave her with a lot of explanation… so if you could help me lie my ass off about that.”

“Oh you mean the Italian guys we have to kill before it’s safe for you or your family to have-“

“Oh hello Selly!” Paige said while giving Murphy a quick jab in the ribs. Murphy let out a stuttered cough with Paige awkwardly hugged the aunt she had never spent much time with.

“They are out in the back, are you… here to take them home?” Selly asked her, but became disappointed when the cap behind them finally pulled away.

Paige shook her head, “Only to visit, and explain.” She saw the put out look on Selly’s face, of course someone wouldn’t enjoy surprise guests. But Selly owed them, and Paige wasn’t going to let her weasel her way out of taking care of family. Paige went back to Murphy’s hand, “I will go see them.” Paige said leaving her behind and taking Murphy with.

The porch area was small, but there was a swing set for Selly’s kids and a small beagle that was overweight, and did nothing but sit in the shade.

“My god! Paige, what happened to your face? Was it that cop? Is this police brutality?” Melissa was shouting while trying to wheel over to Paige with the brakes still on.

“Hi mom. No. These are just –“

“Uh- bar fight? Right? The one I pulled you out of?” Murphy said.

“A Bar-fight? You get arrested and then go to a bar!? Where are your priorities?”

“Here?” Paige asked holding up the small frog like a white flag.

Her mother took a moment, and then looked very relived.

“I’ve been trying to run her ragged out here so that she’d actually sleep at night.”

“That’s why I brought it. I knew she needed it. Has she said anything up here?”

“No. Not that I know of.” Her mother sighed.

Paige looked around wondering where her little sisters voice could’ve possibly gone. Even though it was obviously them, their father had brought this sadness upon them, and it seemed that there was no getting rid of it.

“Who’s the face?” her mother asked.

Paige looked back; she nearly forgot that Murphy was still standing behind her.

“A friend, he’s… helped me out recently.” Paige said.

“He looks like he’s been in a few fights himself…”

“Only because he’s helped me.” Paige said.

Oh. and is he part of the reason we’re up here?” Melissa asked.

“If I may ma’am,” Murphy hesitated, “I’ll admit that Paige was put in a wee’ bit o’ danger when she met me. Ya see, I work fer the police, well back in Irelan’ and Paige bumped inta’ meh at just the wrong time, now there are people we think might want to harm her or you – and we just can’t allow that ta’ happen.” Murphy explained.

“So he is danger.” Melissa said, scoffing. “Shoulda known the looks came with a price.”

Paige rolled her eyes.

“You should no better! You know exactly what type of people you’re supposed to avoid, and it seems that you run right for the people that do the same as your father.”

Paige felt stunned. She hadn’t expected a blow like that from her mother.

“Always with the gambling, the sharks, the drunken men. Don’t think I don’t notice when I call – you’re always quick to cut me off or pretend you’re somewhere else, But I know, a mother knows.”

“Mom – I’ve only been workin’ for you and Genie. It’s not like you can.”

Melissa took a moment to feel scorned now. Her disability was her weak spot, she hated being so confined. Paige took the stuffed animal from her mothers lap and found Genie on the swing set.

“Look who I brought Genie.” Paige waved the doll in front of her face. “Just for you.”
Genie stopped the swing from moving and looked at her sister, then the doll, wondering if she had to pay some sort of toll to get it. Genie quickly snatched it out of her hands before Paige could beg for a hello, or even a smile. Then Genie disappeared into the house before anything else could be said.

Murphy looked at Paige sadly, he could see how broken and detached this family had become – and Paige took the weight of it on her shoulders, Paige was the one determined to fix it, she’d never stop trying. Just like Murphy would never have stopped trying to get Connor back, no matter how much he hated him for letting them walk into a trap.

“Just… stay here mom. Until I come back for you.”

“Not like I have much choice, is there?” Melissa glared.

Paige took Murphy’s hand and led him back out of the house leaving the thick awkward air behind them. Paige hoped her mother would regret that statement someday. After everything she sacrificed for them… she hoped one day they’d be able to appreciate it. The cab ride back was silent. Murphy didn’t sleep, Paige just had nothing left to say, but she took comfort in his hand in hers, as it seemed at least he understood what she had sacrificed.
*****

Murphy jostled her when they had arrived.

“Comeon’ safe bar.” He said.

Paige made her way out, reluctant to return to McGinty’s. But nowhere else was safe. She hoped her cheeks didn’t redden when people asked where they had been.

Murphy took her upstairs, to her surprise it was empty.

“Where is everyone?” she asked.

“Eunice show up to take Connor to a doctor, a practicing doctor. One we can trust.”

“Is he coming back?” she asked.

“In a few days time, if… everythin’s alrigh’.”

“I hope so.” Paige said, she was more relaxed now knowing that there were less faces to deal with. She had only needed to muster a smile at Doc when they arrived.

“Connor… he told me some things.” Murphy said. “About the night you two met.”

Paige hung her head and stayed silent. They were in the room Murphy had given her to sleep her first night here, an empty cot, and few belongings surrounded them. But she tried to play with the corners of crates to keep herself distracted from what he was asking.

“They really… hurt you didn’t they.”

“I’m fine.” She said quickly. “I could handle it.”

Murphy looked disappointed in her answer.

“After all, it’s what I am.” She said sorrowfully.

Murphy gave her a look of sympathy.

“You don’t have to discount what happened. You didn’t deserve tha’.”

“What… what am I supposed to say?” she asked, crying now. “It was terrifying, but…”

“No – there isn’t any ‘buts’ you can’t say it didn’t happen, and you can’t pretend it was nothing. These men hurt you, they hurt my brother, they’ve killed my family. And I’m going to stop them. You… just tell me which ones to kill slowly.”

Paige laughed for a moment. She felt strangely safe that Murphy had assured her that those men would pay for touching her; he chose to protect her like he would protect Connor. Soon his arms were around her, comforting her, protecting her even more. She loved the way he tastefully smelled of cigarettes, and something she could only peg as gunpowder. It reminded her of the night they spent together in each other’s arms, the one night she actually felt whole, and happy.

“Come on,” he said, “let’s go have a drink.”