Midnight Rider

Harbor Hotel

Murphy had gotten to spend a few days with Paige without interruptions from the others. With most of the concern with Connor and his health, no one noticed them going to bed together, drinking late, or even how close they stood to each other.

One particular night Murphy had been sleeping next to Paige on his small uncomfortable cot when she had abruptly woken up. He didn’t ask her what was wrong, but held her close so she could take comfort in something safe. He didn’t know whether she had dreamt about being raped, beaten, or when she pulled the trigger on that man that had shot him.

But he didn’t care why she was upset. He just wanted to be there for her, for everything. She had helped save his life, his brothers, her families, it was instinct for her. Just like it was for him, she didn’t care that things could end badly for her; she cared about protecting those around her, before she even thought of herself.

Murphy was in a sort of fantasy that he was letting himself enjoy. He knew it was wrong but he couldn’t get over her sacrifice for others, her sweet face, wide smile… they sort of made him forget about all the other things in his life.

Once Connor returned he could immediately tell by the stupid grin on his brother’s face that he had let several things slip, maybe even his pants. The massive amount of pain killed he had in his system had begun to make him groggy, and before he could say anything Connor was fast asleep.
_____________________________________________

“So Romeo, how was the doctor visit?” Paige asked him.

“I’m healing quite nicely.” He said. “Lot’s a holes, I figure las chica’s will enjoy my stories later on.” He said.

Paige made small conversation with Romeo, he was downstairs talkative, and he didn’t look like he was in complete pain. Murphy was spending time at Connor’s side, worried for his sick brother.

Paige helped Doc stock a few things for the bar and volunteered to go out and grab lunch for everyone.

She came back half an hour later to find Murphy downstairs alone, with a beer.

She handed him some food. “Something the matter?” she asked.

“Family disagreement is all.’’ he said. He took a large gulp from his beer. “You alrigh’?” he asked.

“Fine. Starving.” She said.

“Did ya get something good?” he asked.

“Burgers.” She said, “place down the street, not bad.”

“I love Speedy’s they always have this special sauce for yer’ burger, makes it taste so much better.” He said, forcing a half smile.

“Good, then eat up,” she said, “there’s enough for everyone. Speaking of which, where’d they go?”

“Connor and I had a bit of an argument, and pull out the drip thing in his arm.” Murphy pointed at his arm, mimicking the needle they’d driven into Connor’s arm.

“Is he alright?” she asked.

“He’s fine, just worked up is all.”

“About anything in particular?” she asked.

“Well. To be frank,” he said, “you.”

“Me? What you-“

“It’s me really, but it’s me, with you.” Murphy explained. “Connor and I decided a long time ago friends and family was a big enough risk, let alone keepin’ a lass.” Murphy said.

“Oh, I see.” She suddenly didn’t feel very hungry anymore. “Least you’re honest Murph.” She said.

“Yeah, well, for the most part.” Murphy said winking at her. He took a poorly wrapped burger from her hands and didn’t say anything else. So Paige sat next to him and ate as well.
___________________________________________

After some time it seemed that everyone had arrived at the bar to discuss what was next on the agenda.

“We still got this new Italian prick who think he can replace the last one.” Murphy said. Paige couldn’t help but notice the slightly uncomfortable looks she was getting from Connor as well as Duffy. She straightened in her chair and fingered the soft ends of her hair while they talked.

“Mauricio Yakavetta’s taken this game of hiding very seriously. He hasn’t been seen since you rescued Connor.”

“No –“ Paige interjected. “He was there, at the stock yard by the bay.

“Well that’s just great, he could be halfway to Italy right now and we wouldn’t know.” Duffy said.

“No I think… I think he had it out for us. He wants nothing more than to see the Saints dead.” Paige said.

“So if he’s stickin; around to see ‘em dead, why’s he hiding and not making more of a racket?” Romeo asked.

“Maybe he’s got no idea where we are.” Murphy said.

“So we have the advantage right?” Paige asked.

“If we can find him.” Murphy said.

“Then I think I know someone who can help.” She said.
___________________________________________________

Paige had called all her contacts, looking for every scrap of information she could gather. Some refused to save their own necks, but a couple hinted, and some others told her only what they had heard, but it was enough to build on.

The last person she was going to call was her friend Crissy. She didn’t want to put her on the spot again, but if she was willing to risk it, her boyfriend would have the most information.

“Hi Crissy.” Paige said.

“P. Is everything alright?”

“Yeah, for now. I know this is a lot to ask, but do you have any idea on where Mauricio is hiding out?” Paige asked. “I just don’t know if Marco mentioned anything or –“

“Shh!” Crissy said. “Marco’s in the other room. They’re looking for you! If they find out we helped you we’ll both be dead. Marco spends a lot of time at the downtown hotel. But really, that all I know and I’m not going to ask Marco for anything else.” Crissy said.

“No that’s great Crissy, Thanks for the help, again, I owe you.”

“Girl you owe me. Any goods on the hot Irishman?” she asked.

“Well-“

“No no - later.” Crissy said, “tell me once this blows over.” She said.

“Okay.” Paige said, next she heard the click of the receiver. Paige hung up her phone and looked at the notes she’s scribbled on a McGinty’s bar napkin. Downtown was Italian district, so that was obvious, but a hotel, there were several.

But Paige… probably knew Mauricio better than some of the men that guarded him. So she closed her eyes and tried to remember which hotels Mauricio had brought her to. She remembered red carpet, brass stairways. Then another, older, more old fashioned, with an Italian restaurant.

She knew he’s settle for nothing less than a penthouse, so that knocked out a few options, and Italian restaurant was a plus, but she remembered something… something hidden in the recess of her mind.

Sicuro

Paige remembered arriving with several other girls to the Boston Harbor Hotel. While she stayed with Mauricio, the girls left with several very Italian men. They looked like they were tired, like they’d been through hell to get here, and their accents were thick, like that of a recent emigrant.

Mauricio had assured them that the hotel was Sicuro. That they would sleep safely, and warmly with these woman as their company.

That was why he had stopped by when she was taken. He hadn’t been far from the harbor. Paige knew what he best bet was now, and she even had an idea – but first she would need to try very hard to convince the others.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for taking so long to update, work was more than hectic and I wish I could've updated sooner. Enjoy!