Midnight Rider

Diner

Paige was unhappy to see that Duffy had joined the discussion downstairs. It seemed that their conversations always became heated, and quickly. So she held her tongue while he talked about Italian gangs here, and suspicious activity there, all while she knew right well Mauricio was hiding.

She was getting antsy. Waiting for the right moment was making her all but happy, so she decided to rudely interject, something that Duffy did not exactly like.

“Look we can spend all day profiling this person and that person, but you’re not getting us anywhere.” Paige said.

“Oh, and I suppose you’re going to find the prick for us?” Duffy asked.

“Well when I already know where he is, it’s hardly finding him that’s the problem.” Paige said crossing her arms and being sure to shoot Duffy an irritated look.

“Oh and where’s he hiding?” Duffy asked.

“Harbor hotel.” She said.

“And you know this because?”

“Because I have friends in high places,” she said.

“More like friends with thick wallets.” Duffy said.

“Do not patronize me right now Duffy.” Paige said angered.

Murphy stood up to place himself between Paige and Duffy, because it was obvious that the two would be fuming in no time. Paige took a step back and waiting for them to take in the new information.

“My kind of girl,” Eunice said, “one I can rely on.”

“Don’t get comfortable with it.” Duffy said.

“I’m all for the girl’s safety n’ all, but having her on the streets is not going to help.” Eunice said.

“Oh, so that’s his master idea.” Paige said. “To get rid of me. You know Duffy I never liked working with you, but now I can see you really don’t give a shit.”

“Don’t talk to me that way or we’ll see how fast you land your skinny little ass in jail.”

“I’m sorry I wasn’t done insulting you!” Paige said.

“Whoa whoa, now let’s just stop talking,” Connor said, “Mainly you two.” Duffy rolled his eyes, but they both kept their mouth shut. “What do we know about the Harbor?” Connor asked.

“Fancy, a lot of tourist attraction due to being seaside.” Murphy said.

“Italian’s own it.” Connor said.

“Italians in general.” Eunice said.

“Seems obvious.” Duffy said.

“Hiding in plain sight.” Paige said.

“So we go in there, set the record straight?” Connor asked

“What if it’s another trap?” Murphy asked.

“Well then we don’t leave no body alive.” Connor said, “They’re all evil men, all dead men.”

“Yeah but you ain’t no good in your condition darling, we can’t have you goin’ no where just yet.” Eunice said to Connor, “They did you in pretty good.”

Paige was thinking, they had done her in pretty well too. Left her without peace of mind, a sickness in her stomach, and a hatred for evil men. She had begun to pray daily for her mother and sister, hoping that as time passed they would find a way to forgive her. She prayed for Connor’s recovery, Murphy’s sanity, and for the vigilante justice they all deserved. Never before had she been religious.

She watched as those around her began to build a plan, something about checking out the area, taking things slow. She didn’t pay much attention, she was mostly anchored by the fact that she had a body, her mind was far elsewhere.

She figured once this was over it would be a long time before she ever saw any of them again. She knew that Murphy and Connor would likely return to Ireland, and stay in hiding. She knew that Duffy was going to be in her life however, he was sure to give her a tough time.

The worst part was that she didn’t think she could return to her old life. She could now only find the act of lying with these men repulsive. After… after what happened with Murphy, she couldn’t imagine sharing that with someone she didn’t love. She sighed knowing that she would have to take one of those boring diner jobs that Duffy had offered her.

But somehow she would get by.
♠ ♠ ♠
Obviously, this is short. Due to hospital visits, getaways, and a friend leaving the country I have been steadily occupied and this was all that I had written during these long few weeks, I didn't see myself adding to it any time soon so I wanted to give you just a small bit more before I can finally get back to writing. Thanks so much guys and I will hopefully be back on a normal schedule soon.