Midnight Rider

Brick Building

Murphy was slightly confused, and a little irritated when two people stepped out of Dolly’s unmarked detective car. Bringing someone else into this wasn’t necessary. And he was even more mad when he saw that it was Paige.

“What’s she doin’ here?” Murphy asked.

“I didn’t exactly have a choice…” Dolly began. Paige ignored the both of them and walked on past heading towards the warehouse.

“Jus’ where do ya think yer going?” Murphy asked grabbing her arm and pulling her back to him.

She looked at him slightly askew. She took a deep breath and said:

“I know my way around, and they’re looking for me, so you get direction plus distraction all in one, you follow, find your brother, then we work on getting back out when… well when we get to that part.”

“I can’t let some girl help with this, your unarmed, you’re jus’ a civilian.” Murphy said.

“Actually…” Dolly said. “I gave her the .42 from under the seat, and she’s currently in police custody.”

“What?” Duffy and Murhy both said in unison.

“Well I told her I wasn’t bringing her along! Then she just had to go and… throw a fit… in front of lots of people so I had to arrest her.”

“I even rode in cuffs the whole way here.” She added.

“How’d it go from handcuffed, ‘to here! Have my extra weapon, be careful it’s loaded!’” Duffy said sarcastically.

“She –“ Dolly began, but he didn’t know how to explain, but Paige had began moving away from the group again, distracting them all once more.

“Hey! Hey You’re not going in there.” Murphy told her. He had her arm once again and with a lot of extra force he threw her against the tall brick building adjacent to the warehouse. He didn’t want to hurt her, but he didn’t want her getting killed. “Look yer’ a beautiful girl, you got a family, friends, and if you walk in that warehouse you’ll get killed.”

“Why do you care? I’m the one that’s got a problem with them.” She told him. “It’s sweet you’ve got a crush on me n’ all but I think we should just stay friends if I’m about to die.” She added sarcastically.

Murphy wasn’t expecting that reaction, and after letting his guard down for only a moment, she slipped free and began pounding on the entrance door.

Murphy and both detectives slyly hid while none of them had any choice in the matter. And after Paige received some pretty angry looks from all of them, the door opened. She was sure the brown hair wouldn’t let her be recognized, and sure enough the man looked at her like she had no idea who she was, but Paige had seen him a number of times.

“Looking for Mauricio, he ‘round?” she said. The fat Italian man began to shut the door in her face before Murphy whipeed himself around the corner and putting th barrel of his gun in the mans face. It first – the guy just thought he was going to be robbed at gun point, but the swift pulling of the trigger made him quickly forget otherwise.

Paige was slightly taken aback by the fact that the man was now dead at her feet and that there were light freckles of blood no across her face. But she stepped forward anyway – feeling the same numbing feeling she felt as she washed her face back at the diner after defending herself from that man.

The hallway was dimly lit, but Murphy was able to follow Paige, who seemed to know where she was going. Duffy and Dolly each took a corner of the building and helped them clear out a few rooms before staying behind.

Paige pulled out the gun that she had more taken from Dolly than he had given. She unlocked the safety and held the automatic weapon forward.

“Guess I’ll never fight with anyone that plans anything further than the tip of their nose.” He told her.

She didn’t reply, she was trying to listen for any movement ahead of them. Then the climbed a long flight of stairs. Two men sat at the top, guarding the one door she thought that Connor could be in. Murphy shot both of them, and it was over so fast that it seemed like they had almost found them like that. Paige nodded at the rotted wood door and Murphy proceeded to kick it down. Inside he shot two more men, and Paige rushed to the only body that had been lying on the ground before they came in.

It was Connor, his face looked even more beaten than before, and he looked tired – he probably hadn’t had any food or water for days now. Paige began to check some of the cuts on Connor’s body, but Murphy began picking him up. Both were startled when Connor let out a loud yelp. Paige realized the weight on his foot was hurting him, his ankle or even leg, was likely broken.

“Carry him on this side.” Paige told Murphy. Murphy set Connor down long enough to pull him up on the other side of his body. Murphy was dragging Connor out of the room now, and that gave Paige the job of watching out for others – there was no way she could carry Connor.

Halfway down the stairs Paige heard a gunshot and felt something graze her arm, but the real problem was that the bullet that had whizzed passed her, was now lodged in Murphy’s back. Connor and Murphy both fell to the bottom of the stairs, Paige ran down to check on them and Murphy was able to scramble back up and but Connor back on his shoulder. Paige nodded at Murphy before going back up to look for the shooter. It was one of the men from the top of the stairs – he was lying in a pool of his own blood barely holding the pistol. With ease she raised her gun, and with difficulty she pulled the trigger. Her gunshot was louder than Murphy’s – her ears were ringing, which was why she didn’t notice the man in the shadows. She was swiftly pulled into the darkness with him, her mouth was covered and her gun dropped to the floor.
____________________________________________________

Murphy and Connor were now being helped into the car by Duffy and Dolly. But the gun shots must have been reported because now they could hear sirens and see lights up ahead.

“Someone must’ve called it in.” Dolly said.

“We need to leave now.” Duffy added.

“Paige is in there…” Murphy said. “She just went back to finish…”

“We don’t have time.” Dolly said. “I’ll take the guys back to the bar, Duffy you hold back wait for them to pick her up and then you grab her.”

“Got it.” Duffy said.

Dolly was about to get into the car when the same van they had followed now was pulling away from the warehouse. They were far enough away and too busy not to notice the girl that was thrown in the front seat, or even see who the driver was.

“I have a feeling someone already picked her up…” Duffy said. Dolly gave him a nod and he headed for the other car. Both detective drove away, one heading for the bar and the other to chase the van.