And If The Sun Comes Up

In The Beginning

Sophie's P.O.V (Friday, January 4th 2008; midnight)

I opened my front door and aimlessly ambled my way into my living room. I slumped into my sofa and just sat there for what felt like hours, but in actuality it was mere minutes. Not even the excited attention I received from my dog could have pulled me through today; I wanted it to all be over now.

I wish I could say that my life is “normal”, but I can’t. Some people would hate to have a normal life; always needy for something out of the ordinary to break up their daily monotony. There’s never any monotony in my days that’s for sure.

It all started so many years ago when I was at high school. I was always the outsider; the loner. I liked it that way. I had few good friends, but the few that I did have meant the world to me. We were a family of sorts; myself, Jake, Eleanor and Lucas. We could read each other’s minds and tell each other absolutely anything. Well that’s what I thought anyway.

My very best friend, Jake, was my rock. Whenever I needed him, he was there for me no matter what. I took his loyalty and friendship for granted sometimes, but I was always so thankful that I had him around. Without a lot of notice he started to look really withdrawn and ill. Anytime I asked him if he was ok, he would go on the defensive straight away. Most of the time I thought I best just let it lie but then he started getting worse and worse.

My immediate thought was that he was on drugs or something. He started losing so much weight and was always complaining that he was so thirsty. He was looking paler by the day and eventually became quite reclusive, only ever seeing me when I went to him and even then he would be locked up in his room in the dark.

I knew I had to confront him sooner or later, so one cold Thursday evening in October 1995; I went to his house to pay him a visit.

********************************************************************************************************

Sophie's P.O.V (October 1995; Thursday evening)

I knocked on the porch door and Jake’s Mom came to greet me.

“Hello Mrs Williams, can I see Jake?”

“Well of course you can Sophie, but you’ll be lucky. He’s been cooped up in that hell forsaken room of his for 12 hours straight now and Mr Williams and I have seen neither hide nor hair of him. He was moaning that he was really sick earlier, but he wouldn’t let either of us in to try and help. I’m getting so worried Sophie. I just don’t know what to do with him anymore. I’m glad you’re here, maybe he’ll open up to you”.

“Well, I’ll see what I can do and try not to worry, I’m sure everything will be alright."

I found him there, lying directly in the middle of his bedroom floor. He was clutching his stomach and shivering severely. He was turned away from me.

“Jake, uhmm, can I come in?”

“Urgghhh, i-if y-y-you w-want."

“Jake, whatever’s the matter with you. Please just look at me and tell me what’s wrong!”

He did turn to look at me and I can honestly say that I felt terror curse through my veins at that moment. I wanted to look away from him, but he was my best friend and I couldn’t let him see that I was scared. I wanted to drop to my knees and hold him tight, but I was rooted to the spot.

“I-I-I’m so v-very s-s-sorry Sophie. I never meant for this to happen. I never meant for you to see me like this. Please don’t be afraid, I won’t hurt you, I promise."

“I don’t know what to say Jake. I knew you were keeping something from me and I thought it may have been drug related, so come on, confess; what the hell is going on with you?”

“I-it’s not drugs Sophie. If you honestly want me to talk to you, I want you to promise me that we’ll always stay friends no matter what, ok?”

“Ok."

There it was then; he poured his heart out to me. How could my very best friend in the world ever keep such a secret from me and for so long? I know that we all have some dark secrets, but this was more than dark; it was deathly.
♠ ♠ ♠
First chapter folks. Let me know what you think.

Love ya :D