And If The Sun Comes Up

Almost Ready

Sophie’s P.O.V (Halloween night; Friday, 28th October 1995)

I started getting ready for Lucas and Eleanor’s Halloween party at 6pm whilst Jake was in the bathroom prepping and preening. I decided, as tradition dictates, that black was the way to go tonight. I pulled out a black vest top, black skinny jeans, and my knee length Doctor Marten’s and I was pretty much sorted apart from make-up.

I found out my make-up bag and was rifling through trying to find my black eye-liner but it had escaped yet again. I sat myself down in front of my make up table, and looked in the mirror. I looked tired and a little drawn which I guess was because I was anxious about this party tonight; I hadn’t got much sleep last night through worrying about it.

I started to apply my pale foundation to my already pale face when Jake appeared behind me. His reflection in the mirror was faded and almost see-through in comparison to my solid one. The literature I’d read since Jake had been turned said that vampire’s have little or no visible reflection at all, but I wasn’t expecting it to be honest so it came as quite a shock.

Jake seemed a little miserable, but he looked amazing. He was dressed in black leather flared trousers and a plain black t-shirt. His curly hair was washed and looking darker than it’s ever done before. A black velvet jacket was draped over his left shoulder.

“Well, what do you think Soph?” He looked down at his feet.

“Honestly; you look amazing. You look different yet not. It’s the best I’ve seen you look for quite some time now Jake. What about me?”

“I suppose you’ll do! Ha ha ha, no, you look great too sugar.”

“You haven’t seen my black eye-liner have you Jake? It was in my make-up bag, but I remember you using it the other week and it’s not been put back. Where’re you stashing it?”

“Oh, sorry Soph, it’s in the bathroom cabinet. I’ve just tried to use it myself but I can’t see myself enough to apply it. I’ll go get it for you.”

“Well, go and get it and I’ll do it for you ok Hun?”

I watched Jake shuffle back out of my bedroom with his head bent low. After a brief minute, he was back in the room clutching my eyeliner.

“Come, sit here Jake,” I said patting the chair that I’d just vacated.

Jake sat down and I stood up in front of him. We fell silent as his beautiful brown eyes looked up at me. I stood there looking down at him in total silence. I couldn’t draw my eyes away from him. Something was happening, it was almost as if he was holding me there, but I really didn’t mind.

“Look up Hun,” I broke the silence and bent down to his face. How I managed to pull his bottom eyelid down to pencil a black line on it, I do not know; he just looked wonderful. I stood back up straight to make sure I hadn’t smudged him, and then bent back down again to do the same to his right eye. He stopped me and held my right hand. He took the eyeliner from my hand and then held both my hands together. I was slightly embarrassed by all of this even though I had no reason to be.

“Soph, please stop for a second and just look at me,” his voice almost a whisper, “You know, I never realised just how beautiful you are until now. It’s not like I don’t see you practically every day, but there’s just something in the way you look tonight. I don’t know what it is or why I’m feeling like this; maybe it’s because you’ve been so amazing through all this vampire shit. You’ve always been there for me and I think I’ve taken that for granted a little.”

I stood there in utter silence and was close to picking my chin up off the floor, when he bought his hands up to my hips and softly held them there.

“I don’t quite know how to say this to you Soph, so I’ll just try and come straight out with it; I think I’m falling for you. No, scratch that, I’ve crash landed with a bump. Oh jeez, shit; I LOVE YOU!

Cue more stunned silence. I was in shock I think because I tried to speak and nothing would come out of the gaping hole that had replaced my mouth.

“I’m so sorry Soph. I knew I shouldn’t have said anything,” he started deflated; “I just hope this won’t ruin our friendship. Oh shit, what have I done? Sophie, please say something?”

He stood up to meet my shocked expression. It took about a minute or so of just looking at each other face to face, when I finally managed to lose the ‘vacant stare’ and look directly into his eyes.

“Do you mean every word Jake?” I still quite couldn’t believe what he’s just said.

“Of course I do; without a doubt!” he confirmed with enthusiasm.

I gently cupped my hands around his face and drew near to him so that we were nose to nose. I held this position for a second or two until I went very slightly cross-eyed, so I pulled back a little and then went for it and kissed his lips softly. I pulled away and looked at him. A silent tear was running down his left cheek. He stroked my face and then pulled me to him. His hand went round my back and up to the back of my neck then my head and then, that was it, my kiss was reciprocated. I felt life and love in this kiss; it was pure euphoria.

He pulled away from me and gently pushed my hair from my face.

“Come on then Soph, we’ve got a party to get to.”

“I’m with you all the way Jake.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok folks, there had to be some romance in this story didn't there? I've enjoyed writing this chapter so much. Have you ever felt unrequited love? I have and it's the best feeling in the world.

This is dedicated to my husband, Simon; he'll never truly know how much he means to me. I love him more than anything in this world and he's just the greatest.

Sorry, guys, you can stop throwing up now, hahahaha!

Thanks for all your comments and thoughts so far, please keep them up as they really do mean a lot to me.

<3