And If The Sun Comes Up

One Night Could Change It All

Sophie’s P.O.V (Saturday evening after the Halloween Party; October 1995)

I watched Jake walk down my street and for the first time in quite a while, he looked pretty happy. He wasn’t shuffling along like he usually did; in fact, I would go so far as to say that he was positively hopping.

It was getting close to 7pm and I thought I best get myself ready. I ran up to my room and changed into some black leggings, knee length red tunic style top and red pumps. That’s it; the outfit was sorted. All I needed know was the war paint.

I crossed the landing to the bathroom. I washed and brushed my teeth and then opened the bathroom cabinet to pull out my make up bag. I started to apply my foundation when I noticed two small red spots on the right side of my neck. I’d never noticed them up until now. I stopped applying my make up straight away and felt over the spots. They didn’t feel like spots; they almost felt like indentations.

I couldn’t stop staring at my neck; what the hell were they. That’s when the penny dropped – Lucas’s party. I could feel myself becoming short of breath and panicky. I tried to calm myself down, but I was just getting more and more aggravated. After a few minutes I managed to start thinking straight.

It must’ve happened at the party when I was drunk. Was I drunk though? I remember having a couple of drinks and I remember talking to Lucas and that he was getting a little too close. I remember finishing my last drink and telling Lucas I was leaving. That’s when I stopped remembering or at least I think I did.

Had Lucas bitten me while I was out of it? Surely there could be no other explanation. Oh my God, what has he done to me?

My mother’s voice tore me from my thoughts.

“Sophie, what are you doing up there? Jake’s here now love and he’s sitting in the living room waiting. Hurry up will you Hun?” she shrilly shouted up the stairs.

“Errrrmm, ok Mom, c-coming n-now.” I was in total shock when I answered her back.

I studied myself in the mirror quickly trying to note any other changes that may have appeared but found nothing. Everything was pretty much normal apart from those two spots. I went back to my bedroom and found an old black silk scarf. I wrapped it around my neck and tied it in a bow to try and hide the marks.

I left my bedroom and went downstairs to find Jake sitting on the sofa and Mom cooking away in kitchen. Jake looked up at me with a smile.

“Jeez Soph, I was going to call a search party to come find you. What took you so long?” he sounded relieved that I had finally shown my face.

“Oh, nothing, I was just trying to make myself beautiful.” I lied

“You don’t need to make yourself; you are already!” he said as he smiled from ear to ear.

“Yeah, right; what are you after?” I questioned as I crossed my arms across my chest.

“Nothing at all, I’m just saying that’s all," he said a little deflated, "Well, when we’ve had some dinner, what say we go up to your room and listen to some music or watch a film or something?” he suggested.

“That sounds like a great idea.” I was really trying to sound enthusiastic, but the honest truth was that inside I was scared and confused.

We’d just finished eating our home cooked lasagne and we were all full to the brim. My Mom cleared our empty plates with a look of satisfaction.

“Now, who’s for pudding?” she chirruped from the kitchen.

“No thanks Mom; we’re done. Can Jake and I go upstairs now?” I couldn’t wait to get him alone. I needed to show him my neck and see what he thought.

“Oh, I suppose so but look kids, I’m down here and I can hear everything you get up to.”

“Oh my God Mom, could you be any more embarrassing?”

“Yes, quite easily actually; now scram before I decide you’ve got to stay down here with me all night.”

“We’re gone.” I said quickly as Jake and I practically jumped the stair case up to my room.
I opened the door to my room with Jake following close behind me. I slumped on my bed whilst Jake shut the door behind him and sat on my huge floor cushion.

“You seemed a bit distracted down there tonight Soph. Is everything ok?” a look of genuine concern washed over his face.

“I don’t know really.”

“What do you mean, you don’t know? Come on Sophie, it’s me here, what’s wrong?”

“Well, ok, can I be brutally honest with you?”

“You know you damn well you can! Now, spill the beans Hun.” He replied.

I slowly pulled the silk black scarf from around my neck and watched Jake’s eye’s look to where the scarf had just been. Nothing was said. I walked right up in front of Jake and kneeled down in front of him. His eye’s questioned mine until I cricked my neck to the side. I felt his gaze lower to my neck and then there was a bewildered silence. He raised his head and looked like he’d just seen a ghost.

“I-is t-that w-w-what I-I think i-it is?” disbelief evident in his question.

“Yes, I think it is Jake. What the hell am I going to do?” I was scared and Jake just looked at me with shock and I think a little pity.

“Shit Soph, did Lucas do this? You know, I knew I shouldn’t have left you at that party. What have I done?” tears had started to form in the corners of his eyes.

“You haven’t done anything at all Jake. If anything it’s me that’s caused this. I should have gone home with you, but no, I had to stay didn’t I? I’m so stubborn and this time it’s got me in to a whole heap of trouble. Please don’t blame yourself.” I pleaded.

“I’ll never leave you alone with him or Eleanor again, that’s for sure. Have you suffered with any strange symptoms yet?”

“What kind of symptoms Jake? What do you mean?”

“You know, how I was, remember?”

“I’m not feeling anything strange at all at the moment Jake. I’ve only just noticed the marks today.” I just couldn't grasp this conversation.

“Ok; that’s a good start.” He looked slightly relieved.

“Oh great; I feel so much better knowing that. Do you mean to say something’s going to start happening to me?”

“We’ll have to wait and see Soph, but if you’ve been turned, you’ll know about it!” He warned.

“I’ll know about it? What kind of thing is that to say?” If I wasn’t scared before then I was absolutely terrified now.

“You start to die; you know, you struggle to breathe and you’re literally gasping for air and then everything stops. Then you jolt back to life and you feel stronger than you’ve ever felt before. That’s when you know you’ve turned.” He was so matter-of-fact with his explanation.

“Oooh sounds cool; I cannot wait!” I really was not liking this one bit.

“Look,” Jake pulled me to face him, “if I have to stay awake all night, I will. I won’t let anything hurt you, I promise!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Duh, duh, duuuhhhhhhhhhh! Will Sophie turn or not; well tune into the chapter 16 to find out.

I've loved writing this chapter, so I'd love it even more if you comment it.

Lucy loves ya

:-D