And If The Sun Comes Up

TFI Friday

Sophie’s P.O.V (Friday 4th January 2008; early evening)

Jeez, Friday really has come around quick this week. Jake and I have had a pretty good couple of days and even though we haven’t forgot what happened on Wednesday, we’ve managed to try and have a normal relationship. Normal; what’s that anymore? When I say normal, I mean we’ve done what couples usually do when they have time off together. We just had a cosy night in on Wednesday evening; I think the events of the day had tired us both out. Yesterday evening, Jake took me out for a meal at a lovely little restaurant in town. It wasn’t a fancy affair, just good food and fine wine all shared with the love of my life.

I’m working tonight, if you can call it working. I’m going to be snapping a new and upcoming band called ‘Signals In The Dark’. They’ve literally only just come on to the local music scene, but I’ve heard nothing but great things about them, so it should be a great night. Jake and I have been given VIP passes so hopefully we’ll get to have a chat and drinks with the guys from the band.

I’ve sorted out my old but amazing Pentax camera and have got my separate zoom lenses all together in my messenger bag. Now I can concentrate on making myself look good.
I heard Jake downstairs in the kitchen banging and clattering about; God knows what the hell he’s doing down there. It sounds like he’s been getting saucepans out, so maybe he’s going to make us something to eat before we head out.

I’d already had a shower and washed and styled my hair; if you can call it a style. No matter what I wanted my hair to do it would always do the exact opposite anyhow, so most of the time I really didn’t see the point. I suppose you have to make the effort for these shindigs. I pulled out my brand new black skinny jeans (bought especially for tonight) and put them on. I then added a deep red vest top and black leather cropped jacket. I chose my knee length biker boots to finish the look off all together and proceeded to the bathroom to apply some make up. Yes, you may already know what the make up’s going to be: pale foundation (to match my already pale skin), black kohl smudged eyes with plenty of eyeliner and mascara, topped off with deep red lip stain. I was ready to rock; Voila!

I bounded downstairs to the most wonderful smell; tomatoes, oregano and plenty of garlic! Oh, how I welcomed that smell. Jake had set the table with plates, cutlery and wine glasses for two. On his plate there sat a jacket potato with cheese and beans and on my plate was the full whammy; Spaghetti Bolognese. I didn’t rub his nose in it.

He pulled my chair out for me; the perfect gentleman. I sat when instructed and he poured me a large glass of full bodied red wine which looked uncannily like blood. He then walked round to his chair and poured himself a glass.

“I’d like to propose a toast;” he exclaimed with gusto, “to the only girl I’ve ever loved. I know we’ve had our ups and downs; mainly downs, but we’ve got through them.” He stopped and drew a deep breath, “I realise now that even though it’s impossible for us to be together forever, we can still enjoy the life that we will have together. I love you and no matter what’s happened between us lately, I want you to never forget that. Cheers.” He raised his glass to mine at this last word.

“Cheers,” I replied emotionally, “oh and ditto!”

**********************************************************************************************************

We arrived at the venue at about 7:30pm. I don’t know how much garlic Jake had put in the Bolognese sauce, but I was humming with it. I could taste it on my breath; maybe he’d put quite a bit in there to take away the urge to bite me, you never know.

We decided to have a drink in the lobby as the support band didn’t sound too great. I found a place to stand and Jake went off to the bar to get drinks. I found myself lost in my own little world inside my head. I was thinking intently about Jake and I and how we had battled to overcome so many things when I felt a tap on my shoulder. I swung around and saw Eleanor and Lucas standing behind me. To say I was shocked was the understatement of the century I think.

“Well, hello Sophie; long time no see.” Lucas said with an air of indifference, “What a pleasure it is to bump in to you this evening.”

“I wish I could say the same,” I replied angrily, “but I can’t and I won’t.” Lucas and Eleanor looked at each other; Eleanor sighed.

“No, come, come Sophie; there’s really no need for all this atmosphere and attitude between us, is there?” She asked, “It’s been such a long time since we last saw each other and we’ve all grown up now. Let’s try and put everything behind us, eh?”

“You know, this time Eleanor, that’s not going to happen!” I exclaimed, “You said the same thing years ago and look what happened then; if you two were the last people left on earth and were on fire, I wouldn’t piss on you, do you hear me?”

“Ooooh, she’s still a feisty one isn’t she Eleanor?” Lucas butted in, “Come on, let’s leave her to get on with it shall we; I know when we’re not wanted.”

Too right he knew. Lucas and Eleanor still had the power to scare me even now at 28 years of age. Intimidation has no age.

“Erm, one more thing before we go though Sophie,” Eleanor asked trying to be coy, “Did I see you come here with Jake? God, isn’t that a blast from the past and how nice it is that you’ve managed to remain friends?”

“For your information Eleanor, we’re more than just ‘friends’ and things are going really well for us.” I replied defensively.

“Oh, things may be going well know,” Lucas piped up, “but has he tried to bite you yet? He’s been on a bit of a blood sucking spree with us over the last decade and a bit and it’ll only be a matter of time before you’re his next victim.” He knew that he was getting to me and I could not believe that Jake never told me that he went on his rampage with these two reprobates.

“No he hasn’t tried anything of the sort,” I lied, “and believe me, if he did try anything then I’m strong enough to get rid of him.”

Jake spotted Eleanor and Lucas as he walked up with our drinks. He couldn’t look at them, but they stared at him like a piece of meat.

“Now, will you please leave us be to enjoy the rest of our night?” I demanded and with that they glided off away from us. I turned and glared at Jake; he knew exactly what was coming.

“What the fuck Jake,” I yelled, “Why didn’t you tell me that you’d been in cahoots with these two since we’ve been apart? I am so angry at you!”

“That’s the exact reason why I didn’t tell you, Soph,” he shot back, “I knew what the reaction would be and thought it best not to worry you.”

“Ok, fair enough,” I sighed, “I know I’ve not been the easiest person to talk to lately, so, just this once I will forgive you; I understand why you kept it from me.”

“Sophie, you will not regret this, I promise you,” Jake sounded relieved, “I don’t think I could’ve gone through all this again, could you?”

“No, I couldn’t; life’s too short and I’m going to enjoy every moment. So come on, let’s get down to business. We’ll need to get backstage right after the gig so we’ll need to get a move on. Jeez Jake, thank fuck it’s Friday!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Getting there now my cheeky little monkeys; not long now before the shit really does hit the fan and everything turns upside down for our two main charachters.

Hope you're still loving it.

:D :D :D :D