And If The Sun Comes Up

Fade To Black and We All Fall Down

Sophie’s P.O.V (Friday 4th January 2008; evening)

It was drawing to the end of the gig, so I pulled Jake with me through the sweaty crowd of people that were all around us. I’d gotten some fantastic live group photos and some great portrait pictures of each member of the band. Luckily, we managed to get through to the side entrance to the stage without much of a problem and one of the security men showed us through the door to the backstage area.

Jake and I took a few moments to compose ourselves before heading in to the VIP lounge. There weren’t that many people present; just a scattering here and there of fans who had managed to blag themselves backstage and some who had done it the proper way and got VIP passes. There was a quiet air of excitement all around and the atmosphere was electric.

I went to the bar and got drinks for us both. I was parched and needed a drink badly; vodka and orange for me and a pint of cider for Jake. We propped ourselves up against the bar and started to “people watch”. God, that drink had gone down way to easily; it never touched the sides. I turned round to the bar steward and ordered myself a double this time. Jake hadn’t touched his drink yet.

There was an excited murmuring coming from the right hand corner of the room and there they were; the band emerged and quickly disappeared into the medium size crowd of fans. I just watched them and waited for my moment. After about an hour the crowd had pretty much dispersed, so I headed over.

As I got closer to them, I noticed how pale they were; pretty normal for a rock band you would think, but this was deathly pale. The lead singer looked totally on edge and on closer inspection; I noticed how long his finger nails were. I could understand if he was the lead or rhythm guitarist, but even then they still would have been unnaturally long for a man. The veins in his neck seemed to be pumping rapidly, seeming to almost burst his skin. I was pretty dubious about getting any closer to them, but I’d got a job to do.

“Hi guys,” I put out my right hand to shake, but it wasn’t taken, “My name’s Sophie and I’m a freelance photographer. Tonight I’m here on behalf of ROCKZOFF magazine to get some up close and personal photo’s of you for your ever increasing fan base.” The spiel just rolled off my tongue effortlessly, “I’ve got some amazing live action photos of you so this would be the icing on the cake.”

The band just looked at me with glazed expressions; had they any idea what I’d just said. Before I went any further, I glanced at the mirrored wall behind them and noticed that none of them had reflections; oh for Christ’s sake, here we go again!

“So,” I pressed on, “If you wouldn’t mind, I’ve only a few more photos to take and then I will leave you in peace, or not, as the case may be.” I giggled nervously.

They did nothing but stare at me; no conversation or interaction. They were making me feel extremely nervous and when the lead singer smiled to reveal fangs, my stomach just dropped.

I quickly turned to try and catch Jake’s eye, but the bastard was talking to Lucas and Eleanor. I didn’t want to become too obvious and start flailing my arms around to get his attention; I really would have looked like a lunatic then. They could smell my fear; they knew I was crying out inside for help. The singer sneered at me again so I made my excuses.
“I’ll be back in just a moment,” I said pretending to be thirsty, “I’m parched, so if you don’t mind, I’ll just get another drink before we get down to business.”

“Oh, please be our guest,” he smouldered, “looks like you’re already accustomed to the bar. By the way, you said your name was Sophie, right?”

“That’s correct,” I confirmed, “I didn’t catch what yours was?”

“That’s because I didn’t tell you,” he mocked, “and I don’t really see the point in telling you now; names are just a label. You may call me what you wish.” You know, I could think of so many things to call him, but they’re too revolting to utter out loud.

I rushed over to the bar and stood next to Jake. Eleanor and Lucas looked like I’d put their noses out of place; I’d disturbed their time with Jake. He could see that I was perturbed and agitated.

“Hey Soph, you ok? You look like you’ve seen a ghost.” Oh, a ghost I could’ve handled.

“No, not a ghost but a merry band of fucking vampires!” I growled, “This is just turning out to be an amazing night, don’t you think? First we bump in to Eleanor and Lucas and if that wasn’t enough, I’m being groomed by yet more of the blood sucking creatures; just wonderful!”

“Shit,” he retorted, “I never noticed you know Soph and I’m sorry about Eleanor and Lucas; if it makes you feel any better, I’ve told them where they can shove their ‘so-called’ friendship!”

“Oh, well; that’s one less thing to worry about. Yippee!”

Jake looked at me with a smirk; I don’t think anyone appreciated my humour like he did. I stood directly in front of him and I noticed that he looked over my shoulder towards the band. He was silent, and I don’t know whether it was me being too overdramatic or whether I was reading too much into it, but in that split second, I could have bet my life savings (which wasn’t that much at all) that he nodded at them. I wasn’t going to say anything; maybe I’m just being too sensitive.

“Look,” said Jake as he held my right arm, “What’s say we get out into the open air and away from this room? You’re obviously a little shook up so we’ll get some air and head off home, ok?”

“Sounds like a plan Hun.” I was still weary no matter what he had just suggested; weary of him and everything else around me.

*********************************************************************************************************

After our little encounter the other night, Jake had suggested that I always try and carry a crucifix and a small wooden stake around with me. Yes, I know what you’re thinking; what a cliché? Cliché it may be, but I wasn’t about to start taking chances with Jake especially since it was him that suggested it in the first place.

Jake pulled me out into the corridor just outside the exit from the VIP lounge. Finally, we were out of that room and I could breathe again.

“At the end of the corridor is our exit Soph,” Jake comforted, “So, come on; let’s get out of here.”

It was a murky, claustrophobic corridor, but this was my escape so I really didn’t care. I’m sure I could stand it for a little while. The lights dotted on each side of the corridor were flickering erratically; it was affecting my vision. It’s a good job I wasn’t epileptic or anything. After a few steps more the flickering became almost unbearable.

“Hang on Jake,” I pulled him back hard, “Can we just stop for a second, I really don’t feel well? I can’t see properly and I feel really woozy.” He stopped dead and turned to look at me.
“Jeez Soph, you do look unwell,” he seemed genuinely worried, “Just stop and we’ll try and get you calmed down for a second, yeah?”

“Yes please.” I could feel tears welling up in my already sore eyes. Jake put his arms around me and just held me there. He then bought his right hand up and placed it on my forehead. I think he mentioned something about me having a slight temperature, well at least I think he did; I really wasn’t thinking straight at this point. I felt his lips press against my forehead and I leaned into him.

I felt his right hand run down to my neck and he stroked me for a second or two. By this time I was practically out of it but still managed to feel him forcefully tilt my neck to the right and that’s when the lights flickered and died and everything went black.
♠ ♠ ♠
Duh, duh, duuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhh! The penultimate chapter guys; it'll all be over in the next chapter, booo hoooooo but oh yeah baby!

I'm so excited *jumps up and down with glee* you would not believe.

COMMENTS PLEASE!