Early Sunsets Over Monroeville

Asylum.

The pain had stopped somewhere during a walk I took. I walked for what seemed like hours, and didn’t stop anywhere. I didn’t notice when I’d stopped crying, or even when my legs stopped me. There were only so many places you could really go in this stupid town, and I found myself at the most abandoned place. It was something I’d do, even subconsciously.

The heat of the sun radiated off my hair, and I could feel it in my skull, making a dull throb. It was a stupid idea, really, dying your hair black and preferring the sun over sun, any given day. I hated the heat today, because with how I was feeling, and then the heat of the day, it felt wrong.

The Asylum had been abandoned for quite some years, now. It was mostly used way back in the day, and somehow burned down. No one tore it down, because of the accidents it had in it after the place burned. The accidents were numerous, extremely unexplainable deaths. It freaked me out, bad. This was the first time I ever stood even close to this place at all.

My mind was lost, somehow, and I kept staring at the place, not really taking notice how the sun was going down. It got dark so early nowadays, it was ridiculous. As soon as September hit, the weather dropped drastically, making it so bitterly cold, and the days didn’t last very long. This is why I was always dreading going back to school, over the summer. This was exactly the reason why I hated school so much - the fucking weather.

Deciding it was for the best, or worst, I sat down on the edge of lake, where the Asylum happened to be. It was nice, for the most part, but the eerie sense of being watched just wouldn’t let me be. I never looked, and didn’t really feel like it. All I knew was that the fucking creepy feeling of someone watching me, was actually some fucked up ghost trying to steal my soul, or something else. Chills ran down my spine.

“You okay, there?” A familiar voice spoke, almost too quiet to hear.

I jumped out of my skin, flailing in the most ridiculous fashion before I spun around. I didn’t recognize him, at all. Never in my life had I seen someone so, well, uh.. Perfect. Maybe I just hadn’t paid attention to the kids at my school enough, to know he went there. Still, though.. He was perfect. A kind of perfection you didn’t see nowadays, at all.

“Uhh… yeah?” I answered him, and I cocked a brow. Why did he sound so familiar.

The kid moved closer, walking right up to me and sitting down. It gave me time to notice the little features I couldn’t see from far away, really. Dark brown hair, worn long and kinda scraggly. It was flipping out at random places, with small but wavy curls near the bottom. His nose was the cutest thing ever too, kind of buttony. He was also tiny, kinda like I was. I was always made fun of for being short, and small.

“You seemed kind of.. Err. Upset, earlier…”

I inhaled deeply and looked away from those piercing, deep hazel eyes with all that I could. I wasn’t about to open myself to some complete stranger.

“Yeah, I guess..” I chuckled darkly, my eyes wandering off to the setting sun.

The kid stayed quiet after that, not that I was complaining. It was a comfortable silence, and not one of those awkward ones. The silence lasted for what seemed like a long time. I didn’t know what to say, and it was obvious he didn’t either.

“Have you ever been inside there?” he asked, and it scared me.

Jumping a little, I almost raced to the answer. “No… No one has. I mean… There’s guards and stuff…”

“We should go inside!” and he sounded excited. When I looked over, he was getting up to his feet, and grinning at me. “Please?”

It was like a child asking for a candy, basically… and for some reason, I couldn’t say no.

“Well, I gue-”

“AWESOME. LETS GO.” he shouted, grabbing my wrist and dragging me up from the ground.

What had I gotten myself into…